Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for a good PCC charging Handle?

I recently shot a classifier match and one of the stages had a unloaded gun start from a table with the reload also from the table.

I am currently using a BCM mod 4 medium charging handle and am looking for something larger and possibly long enough to prop the gun up a little bit to get a better start on it.

Any recommendations on what people think is the best one to use right now?

A few weeks ago I was on the BCM website and it looked like they found a case of Raptors buried in thier warehouse and were selling them cheap.  I’d get one of those.  Almost bought a backup for me.  Otherwise I have an old style ambi BCM that is on its second gun and treats me well enough that I don’t see any reason to change.  EDIT TO ADD:  just checked and it looks like they sold out at BCM. 

Edited by jkrispies
11 hours ago, bulldog009 said:

I saved a few dollars and went with the Raptor LT, have them on both of my ARs. I think the LT model is one of the better values on the market right now. It works just as well as the all metal Raptor IMO. 

After reading all the recommendations I ordered a Raptor LT  from Optics Planet.

Looks to be one of the better and lighter ones out there.

54 minutes ago, JZELEK said:

After reading all the recommendations I ordered a Raptor LT  from Optics Planet.

Looks to be one of the better and lighter ones out there.

If you are military or veteran Raptor offers a 25% discount if you order direct

• 2 months later...

I have been running the Next Level Armament charging handle.

I originally choose it because it was a few dollars cheaper than many others, but mostly because they also make one for my S&W M&P 15-22.

I often see many people recomend the Radian Raptor, and I know it's a quality product.

They just started making one for the S&W M&P 15-22 so I thought I would grab one to try out on my PCC for a while.

If I don't like it I can put it onto another gun.

Here is a comparison of the width of the two, I think I will probably end up sticking with the NLA after the test period, because I like the extra width, as it helps hold the gun up off of tables etc.

But I will try the Raptor for a while.

20181201_085445.jpg

1 hour ago, AmmoHouse said:

I’m new to the PCC thing, are regular AR charging handles fine for PCC?

Yes, they will work fine.  You just won’t be cool like us, lol.  I’d recommend starting with what you have and then playing with different versions that you come across at the range.  Where you find the difference is when you need to clear a jam on the clock, etc.  Everybody will have a different preference, and then you’ll get used to what you train with.  

35 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I guess the first question is how do you do the unloaded table start? Gun laying on the right side or the left side? Also do you shoulder it then load, or do you try to game it by shoving the mag in then shoulder it and charge it?

I start with the gun on its left side because I am right handed.

Pick up both the gun and mag at the same time, load it, charge it, then shoulder.