Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Probably a Really Stupid Hornady Scale Issue

jim6918

So, I am probably going to be humiliated by the responses, but...

I have a Hornady Lock n Load Bench Scale.  I posted in the Newby section my questioning whether the powder drop on my 550C was inconsistent, but now I am wondering the consistency of the scale.  

I already know that electronic scales can be effected by the environment; for Pete;s sake, I can sneeze or fart and the scale will register +/- .1 grain.

My scale came with two calibration weights, a 10 gr. and a 50 gr.  I follow the directions for calibration and get the scale to pass.  My question is ? Shouldn't the calibration weights actually weigh 10 and 50 gr's respectively?

The 10 gr. weighs 154.3 and the 50 weighs 771.6.  Even that is off a little.  154.3 gr. times 5 equals 771.5.

I was going to buy a set of check weights to verify the scale, but now wonder the worth of that.

Yes, I know balance scales work great for many people, but I don't trust myself to use one any better than the electronic scale due to a very slight hand tremor issue. 

I am considering putting some rubber bumpers on the bottom of the scale to cushion it from bench vibrations.

Edited by jim6918

22 minutes ago, jim6918 said:

So, I am probably going to be humiliated by the responses, but...

My scale came with two calibration weights, a 10 gr. and a 50 gr.  I follow the directions for calibration and get the scale to pass.  My question is ? Shouldn't the calibration weights actually weigh 10 and 50 gr's respectively?

The 10 gr. weighs 154.3 and the 50 weighs 771.6.  Even that is off a little.  154.3 gr. times 5 equals 771.5.

Rounding errors, and it is not off a little at all. 

First the calibration weights are in grams.

10 grams = 154.324 grains

50 grams = 771.618 grains

So, it is NOT off by a little. Rounded to one significant digit 10 grams is 154.3 grains 50 grams is 771.6 grains.

7 minutes ago, tanks said:

Rounding errors, and it is not off a little at all. 

First the calibration weights are in grams.

10 grams = 154.324 grains

50 grams = 771.618 grains

So, it is NOT off by a little. Rounded to one significant digit 10 grams is 154.3 grains 50 grams is 771.6 grains.

Thanks for pointing it out.

gr. = gr. = grrrrrrrrrrrrrr  ?

42 minutes ago, tanks said:

Also, most reloading manufacturer's electronic scales are accurate to +/- 0.1 grains. So, they are not as precise as lab scales that can measure to a +/- 0.002 grams. Unless one is doing benchrest loading though, that type of accuracy is not needed.

The only bench resting I will be doing is when the breakfast burrito I had before heading to the range starts backing up on me.

Seriously, I am trying to find a good load for my son's S&W Shield .380 EZ, , so I am currently loading 4 test loads including the max, so I don't want to overclock anything.

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

When setting up your powder drop, dump five to ten charges on the scale and take an average.

One three-ish grain powder charge is beyond the resolution of your $20-100ish digital scale to measure with laboratory accuracy, as @tanks mentioned.

30ish grains of powder? Not so much.

I do just this thing.  Usually 10 loads for an average.  Thanks

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

When setting up your powder drop, dump five to ten charges on the scale and take an average.

Great way to do it, BUT  before  you dump the 10 drops - drop

about 5 drops and then put them back into the hopper.

THEN, take your 5-10 drops for measuring    :)