Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I the only one that DOESN'T want a rolling break?

bere09

Here's my dilemma. I have two Gen 5 17's that I ordered two TTI Grandmaster kits for. I installed them in each gun but the connectors looked a bit different. One had almost a matte coating with no symbol and one had a mirror finish with a long "minus" symbol on it. The matte finish blank connectors has an outstanding pull, it moves the break back in the pull and has a short reset, but is has a very slight but definite wall just before the break so I know where it's going to break every time. The polished "minus" TTI connector has a smooth rolling break where I can't tell as easily when it goes off when prepping and pressing on longer targets. I shoot MUCH better when I have a very slight wall just before the break because I can tell when the gun is going off. So I contact TTI (excellent customer service by the way) and they tell me that the connector I love is an old design and they don't have anymore. The polished connector with the dreaded rolling break is the new design!

So I have two questions. 

1) After scouring the internet for a connector with similar characteristics and reading a lot of reviews, am I the only one that DOESN'T like a rolling break?

2) Anyone else have any ideas on a connector that moves the break back in the pull, has a short reset and a defined point, even if it's very light, where you can tell it's going to break?

Edited by bere09

I played with a crap ton of trigger parts and the one thin I can tell you is not one will be the same. That being said it would be better to buy a custom trigger then spending the time and money on 8 million different conectors ( because we all know there is that many ). So after all the trouble and head banging I came across johnny glock, I called him up and he built me a trigger to exactly what I wanted and had it in 7 days. 2.5 pound pull, 1/16 of a inch pretravel ( to get the bar of the bar shelf) to a distinct wall, 1/8 inch (if not less) from that wall to full trigger stop, with 1/8 inch to reset that is wicked fast. 100 percent  reliable with all primers and factory ammo. ( yes even with cci small rifle primer ) I use in major loads.

https://johnnyglocks.com

The only way I've found for the same of as close to the same from gun to gun.

If you go to him tell him jimmy erickson sent you

2 hours ago, Jamese35 said:

I played with a crap ton of trigger parts and the one thin I can tell you is not one will be the same. That being said it would be better to buy a custom trigger then spending the time and money on 8 million different conectors ( because we all know there is that many ). So after all the trouble and head banging I came across johnny glock, I called him up and he built me a trigger to exactly what I wanted and had it in 7 days. 2.5 pound pull, 1/16 of a inch pretravel ( to get the bar of the bar shelf) to a distinct wall, 1/8 inch (if not less) from that wall to full trigger stop, with 1/8 inch to reset that is wicked fast. 100 percent  reliable with all primers and factory ammo. ( yes even with cci small rifle primer ) I use in major loads.

https://johnnyglocks.com

The only way I've found for the same of as close to the same from gun to gun.

If you go to him tell him jimmy erickson sent you

I have the exact same trigger, i Guess we have the same taste lol. I told him defined wall, not a rolling break, 2.5lbs, no pre travel and no overtracel,, with all 3 safety’s working. And he did it. I got mine in like a week too. . Mine is not reliable with all primers though, but I’m using the 4lb striker spring, he also sent a 4.5 and said if I had reliability issues to go up to the 4.5, but I use federal primers and have no issues. I couldn’t even set off federal small rifle primers for 9 major. And those should still be pretty soft. But I get 100% reliability with federal small pistol, and I stock up on them whenever they come in stock, which is about twice a year. 

I been running this trigger for 9 months or so now, and I’ve really liked it a lot. But  recently I been debating on having him build me a new one with a rolling break. Like you I thought I wanted a crisp defined wall, minimal take up, and that’s what I got. I’ve found that when the triggers right there on the wall you can’t really feel the trigger. The local GM retired pro I know said the same thing when he shot my gun. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth spending another 200 bucks. I’m wondering how different he can really make it. 

But if you want a trigger with a defined wall and not a rolling break, as close to a 1911 as you can get in a Glock buy a johnny Glock trigger. He has flat face triggers now too. 

32 minutes ago, Jfitz427 said:

I have the exact same trigger, i Guess we have the same taste lol. I told him defined wall, not a rolling break, 2.5lbs, no pre travel and no overtracel,, with all 3 safety’s working. And he did it. I got mine in like a week too. . Mine is not reliable with all primers though, but I’m using the 4lb striker spring, he also sent a 4.5 and said if I had reliability issues to go up to the 4.5, but I use federal primers and have no issues. I couldn’t even set off federal small rifle primers for 9 major. And those should still be pretty soft. But I get 100% reliability with federal small pistol, and I stock up on them whenever they come in stock, which is about twice a year. 

I been running this trigger for 9 months or so now, and I’ve really liked it a lot. But  recently I been debating on having him build me a new one with a rolling break. Like you I thought I wanted a crisp defined wall, minimal take up, and that’s what I got. I’ve found that when the triggers right there on the wall you can’t really feel the trigger. The local GM retired pro I know said the same thing when he shot my gun. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth spending another 200 bucks. I’m wondering how different he can really make it. 

But if you want a trigger with a defined wall and not a rolling break, as close to a 1911 as you can get in a Glock buy a johnny Glock trigger. He has flat face triggers now too. 

So to answer that question he can absolutely build you one with a rolling break. I know he has built me a few as he sponcers me. The one I have now has such a light wall in it it's great, the vest of boat world's I can grab and blow through the wall like it's not there or stage it for that perfict shot.

14 hours ago, JBP55 said:

I have the same Johnny Glocks trigger with a rolling break and it is hard to beat for a range only Glock.

I’m strongly considering getting another one. I’d love to put my current one into my g19 carry gun, it’s a sweet trigger. I don’t even think it’s to light for carry. But just to be safe I’d probably go up to a slightly heavier striker spring, so it would come in around 3.5lbs. 

I am not an expert but isn’t the “Break” controlled by the angle and polishing of the striker to cruciform contact points? I think the connector impacts the feel of the pull but the actual “snap” happens when the edge of the striker jumps off the back of the trigger bar cruciform tab... Johnny has a video on this as well. 

I'm in the same boat, I have a nice limited set up with an overwatch trigger and a Ghost evo elite connector, but the rolling break kinda bugs me.  Everything I've heard is that Jonny Glocks is the way to go, I just don't want to/ still have that kinda cash to drop on a glock trigger.  Does the Zev V4 have a more crisp break?

13 hours ago, HawaiianShirtShooter said:

I'm in the same boat, I have a nice limited set up with an overwatch trigger and a Ghost evo elite connector, but the rolling break kinda bugs me.  Everything I've heard is that Jonny Glocks is the way to go, I just don't want to/ still have that kinda cash to drop on a glock trigger.  Does the Zev V4 have a more crisp break?

There is no better way then just calling and haveing a johnny glock trigger built. You'll spend almost as much if not more trying to get that perfict trigger.

And now he has flat faced triggers as well.

Edited by Jamese35

On 9/26/2018 at 6:11 PM, HawaiianShirtShooter said:

Does the Zev V4 have a more crisp break?

It has a defined wall and pretty crisp break in my G17’s.  

In conjunction with the Zev “comp” trigger spring, 4.5lb spring (one has the Wolff, feels the same) and an Apex plunger.  

• 1 month later...
If you want a rolling break, put a Ghost Edge connector in, it has a very slight subtle wall..

My only problem with the Ghost trigger is that the reset was pretty light. I ended going back to the stock trigger in my 34 because I can shoot it faster. When shooting at speed I can’t much difference in a rolling vs crisp break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I hope this helps; I shot IPSC in the 80s with a 1911 so I got really used to the trigger. Lets fast forard a minute or two to today and I am getting back into combat (USPSA) with my son who is 12. I tried the XDM, Glock, M&P both original and 2.0 and other than a $300 trigger in a S&W 2.0 NOTHING felt good so I am shooting single stack however my son now has a Glock 35. 

I will offer up that a.striker trigger takes either practice or ignorance to like. I can shoot hos Glock but the 1911 is like an old pair of slippers to me, however he loves his Glock over a 1911. So to answer your question....no you are not alone. To further this comversation.....rolling break or not its not a 1911 it really come down to what your trigger finger is used to.