Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA and USPSA setups

jsacks

I started shooting both disciplines about a couple years ago, and got tired of switching between gear (and I really have an aversion to Tek-Lok). So I've switched to Safariland ELS/QLS. I've only recently started rebuilding my gear kit from scratch (for pistol, but setup for future 3-gun). I have purchased bits and pieces, and still building things out. I tried to balance economy (didn't really happen) and ease-of-use.

Here's what I ended up with:

USPSA

Carbonarms, QLS and ELS receiver plates

IDPA

Any suitable belt, with 744+ELS, UBL holster w QLS

Shared between platforms:

Holster w/ QLS

Mag holders (773) w/ELS

All told nearly $400 outlay, but at least half that cost are the shared items. Some questions:

Any thoughts on economizing even further,  but maintaining swap-ability? Or any other in-between practice gear swap thoughts?
Also, is the Safariland low-ride UBL legal in IDPA?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, jsacks said:

is the Safariland low-ride UBL legal in IDPA?

The following criteria apply to IDPA legal holsters.

H. For male shooters, the holster must carry firearm so that the entire front strap (to the trigger guard) is at or

above the top of the belt.

Police and military personnel are allowed to use their duty rigs as follows:

A. The duty holster must be a strong side belt or thigh holster with at least one retention feature.

B. All retention features of the holster must be used.

C. All belt equipment holders must be present, though the shooter may decide which belt equipment is present.

13 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

entire front strap (to the trigger guard) is at or

above the top of the belt.

Thanks! Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "front strap"? Illustration? (I do know the USPSA drop/offset/cant rules.)

Keep in mind all the QLS connectors and line-ups of the gear is a bit different than your typical paddle holsters and the like. (I'm now leaning toward just running my current Blade-Tech stuff for now -- BLAH).

2 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

The front strap is the front surface of the grip frame from trigger guard to butt.

Gotcha; I always knew what the backstrap was, just never put the two together (front+strap)— anyway the whole nomenclature is a bit misleading. Thanks. So basically, I wasn't sure what the drop/offset rules were from IDPA (the site is currently down for maintenance). Was there one?

Edited by jsacks