Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SPS pantera magazine issues

Michigan3gunner

1 hour ago, Michigan3gunner said:

Hello all I just bought a Sps pantera and love it but have been having issues with the mags nose diving rounds into the feedramp. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions or do I just need better mags?

OAL of the ammo too short? 

SPS mag tubes are notorious for being out of spec in regards to side to side width and/or the double stack to single stack transition area being too wide.  Your best bet is to contact SPS or the US importer and ask for replacement tubes.

7 hours ago, Michigan3gunner said:

Hello all I just bought a Sps pantera and love it but have been having issues with the mags nose diving rounds into the feedramp. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions or do I just need better mags?

Look at how the bullets stack in the mag. If there is a gap between the top round and the second round, your mag tubes are out of spec in the transition area as GLK21C mentioned. With the gap, the top round can dip when the slide picks it up and if you are unlucky, the round hits below the feedramp and you become entertainment for your squad.

I just got my Pantera on Thursday, so I haven’t got to shoot it yet. Going to the range today to try it out. I hope I don’t have to same issues. But I was already expecting to have to buy new mags, as the ones that come with the gun are only 126s. But I was hoping the sps mags would still work. 

Well I got out to the range this weekend and the mags suck. You weren’t having problems with them dropping under recoil? That was my biggest problem, I couldn’t get 2 shots of without the mag falling out. And the followers kept getting stuck and making it so I can only load 3 rounds. I don’t know if the mags dropping is a mag related problem, or the mag release spring weight in the gun. So that’s what I’m working on now with my Pantera. Although I did shoot a mag holding it like a tea cup, so the mag wouldn’t drop and it ran flawlessly. 

On 9/23/2018 at 9:12 PM, Jfitz427 said:

Well I got out to the range this weekend and the mags suck. You weren’t having problems with them dropping under recoil? That was my biggest problem, I couldn’t get 2 shots of without the mag falling out. And the followers kept getting stuck and making it so I can only load 3 rounds. I don’t know if the mags dropping is a mag related problem, or the mag release spring weight in the gun. So that’s what I’m working on now with my Pantera. Although I did shoot a mag holding it like a tea cup, so the mag wouldn’t drop and it ran flawlessly. 

I did not have that issue 

Guys, the thread about mags dropping is here:

Let's keep this one on track for the OP:

On 9/20/2018 at 12:33 PM, Michigan3gunner said:

Thanks a bunch!

12 hours ago, blacklab said:

Not an expert by any means but I wonder if new spring and followers from Grams or TTI would fix the problem. When I was having that problem with my STI new guts from Grams solved it.

Already replaced the springs and followers with grams and tuning the feedlips helped alittle. Pretty sure the mag bodies are just out of spec.

On 9/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, blaze190 said:

I had the same mag dropping issue in my sps 40. The problem with mine was a cheap mag catch. I replaced it with one from dawson precision and never had another problem with that issue.

I bought two gen 2 sti 140mm mags and the seating in the gun is much more positive. You can really feel and hear the click. But with those stock mags there’s no click, and I don’t even feel it really seat. I put a heavier mag release spring in, and that combined with my sti mags it runs perfect. 

To me it it looks like the base plates are hitting the magwell. The mags are quite short at only 120mms. I may try and either take a little off the baseplates, or get a new mag catch like you did. But my 140s have run flawlessly. Yesterday was the first time I go out there to shoot it after fixing the issue and boy did she run well. That trigger is just awesome too. My 10 pull average was 2lbs 3 oz. I thought I’d have to replace it when I got the gun but i don’t think so. It doesn’t get a whole lot better. Great gun for the money.