Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Palooza - What is shooting at a 45 and 90 degree cant?

RaylanGivens

Shooting the PCC Palooza this Sunday at Frostproof...  Looking forward to the match, but the match writeup has a stage note that I don't understand:

" 60 yd plate rack with gun at 90 and 45 degree cant "

What does the cant part mean?  Is that some kind of 3-Gun thing?  I assume it means that you have to cant or twist the rifle...  Not sure if something forces you to twist the rifle...  and not sure how to shoot it...  Looked for a video...

Any of you seen a stage like this before?

If you have to shoot with a rifle or carbine canted you will shoot low and to the left or right whichever way it is canted. 

Just remember to aim high and to the side the magazine is on. So if you cant the carbine so the ejection port is up the magazine will be to the right. You want to hold high and to the right of the plate.  How much depends on the trajectory of the bullet, where it is sighted in etc. I haven't tried it with my PCC but at 60 yds I think I would hold a couple inches high and a couple inches right. 

Good luck!

7 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Shooting the PCC Palooza this Sunday at Frostproof...  Looking forward to the match, but the match writeup has a stage note that I don't understand:

" 60 yd plate rack with gun at 90 and 45 degree cant "

What does the cant part mean?  Is that some kind of 3-Gun thing?  I assume it means that you have to cant or twist the rifle...  Not sure if something forces you to twist the rifle...  and not sure how to shoot it...  Looked for a video...

Any of you seen a stage like this before?

Shannon is famous for putting you in uncomfortable and uncommon shooting positions.  Leave it to an ex Army ranger to test your abilities.  

1 hour ago, Trent1k1 said:

My PCC is zero'd at 35 yards.  at 60 yards, i need to hold low, like the bottom of the plate to hit it.  It sounds like i'll need to continue to hold low instead of high in your example Don_B.

Thanks, Trent...  I'm zero'd at 25 yards.

Ran one of the online bullet trajectory calculators and it looks like my bullet will drop around an inch at 60 yards.

22 minutes ago, stick said:

Shannon is famous for putting you in uncomfortable and uncommon shooting positions.  Leave it to an ex Army ranger to test your abilities.  

Absolutely...  Shannon puts on great matches...  That's why we all like to shoot them!

This match has been sold out for weeks...

31 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Thanks, Trent...  I'm zero'd at 25 yards.

Ran one of the online bullet trajectory calculators and it looks like my bullet will drop around an inch at 60 yards.

Absolutely...  Shannon puts on great matches...  That's why we all like to shoot them!

This match has been sold out for weeks...

Yes he does!  It a shame I have to work this weekend.  I'm missing the scattergun and PCC palooza  matches.

3 hours ago, Trent1k1 said:

My PCC is zero'd at 35 yards.  at 60 yards, i need to hold low, like the bottom of the plate to hit it.  It sounds like i'll need to continue to hold low instead of high in your example Don_B.

It doesn't matter where you are sighted in once you turn the carbine 90 degrees. At that point you are basically zeroed at the muzzle and the bullet will just drop from there on out. 

If I was a betting man I would make a wager that if you hold low you will not hit the plates. ?

Just my .02 worth. 

15 hours ago, Don_B said:

It doesn't matter where you are sighted in once you turn the carbine 90 degrees. At that point you are basically zeroed at the muzzle and the bullet will just drop from there on out. 

If I was a betting man I would make a wager that if you hold low you will not hit the plates. ?

Just my .02 worth. 

Good point...  The trajectory I calculated was with the rifle vertical and sighted in at 25 yards and the bullet also coming back down to zero again at 45 yards...  so the bullet drop at 60 yards was only one more inch...  With the rifle turned sideways all my "built-in" elevation sighting disappears and turns into windage.

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

Good point...  The trajectory I calculated was with the rifle vertical and sighted in at 25 yards and the bullet also coming back down to zero again at 45 yards...  so the bullet drop at 60 yards was only one more inch...  With the rifle turned sideways all my "built-in" elevation sighting disappears and turns into windage.

Exactly! Depending on the velocity it will drop about 3-4 inches at 60 yds. And now that "windage" needs to be corrected by holding to the magazine side of the target. 

Smitty outdid himself for this years PCC Palooza match...  Shot it yesterday, my first PCC Palooza, but not to be my last...  Smitty said he plans to make it a two day match next year...

It was an extremely challenging match from my perspective...  35 yard spinning Polish plate rack, extremely tight leans, lots and lots of steel, and of course the long plate racks and a spinner...  Hard but fun...  You really understand where your gun shoots after shooting a match like this.

The "distance" stage had six smallish plates at 60 yards shot free hand, a plate rack at 60 yards with 3 plates at a 45 degree cant and the other three shot at a 90 degree cant...  then run to another plate rack at about 30 yards and finally ending up on a spinner.

For the 45 degree cant, we used the top 45 degree slot in the picture below...  For the 90 degree cant, we used the lowest 90 degree slot in the wall...  not quite kneeling and not quite prone...  I kind of knelled/crouched/laid on the ground and held my handguard by the slot to shoot...  I got all my hits, but failed to spin the spinner...  Fun stage...  I would like another crack at the spinner.

PCC Palooza 3gun Prop 800.jpg