Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pelican 1615 Air

Sliv2

I need to buy new luggage, regardless, to fly with firearms for this year's Nationals. A friend recommend the 1615 as a convenient option that - in theory - also prevents TSA from messing with any of my gear after the initial check-in. 

Has anybody used one of these for flying to matches? If so, can you provide any additional information with regards to the convenience of flying with all of your stuff to matches?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the Air but I use a big Pelican as a suitcase and padlock it. The Air versions are slightly lighter, which means more weight can go inside without risking an overweight bag charge.

I put my guns (carry and competition gun) in zippered soft case, throw the soft case on top of my clothes and ammo, and put the orange firearm tags on top of the soft case. Padlock the case and off it goes.

Flying out of Orlando is weird though, they get really freaky after that shooting at the airport so they take it down and have TSA inspect it and I have to sit there and watch as they rifle through my dirty laundry. But otherwise I've never had a problem. Flown 6 times this year with guns in the same manner.

I just got back from the IRC in Arizona and I was 1.5lbs over the 50lbs max limit. They let me slide, but it made me think about the Pelican Air cases.

I talked to JJ and he said he had guns stolen because the suitcase with padlocks stands out. Dunno if they stole the whole case or what.

Typically at bigger airports the bag is hand-walked out to whatever airline lost baggage center, and you have to go show them your stub to get the case. Smaller airports like Cleveland just put it on the conveyor. I didn't know all of this, so when I flew to Vegas the first time I thought my bag was gone, but it just came out late. Then when I flew back to Cleveland it was on the belt which I thought was kinda scary but they're short staffed so whatever.

Also different airports have different policies. Vegas usually makes me wait by the ticket counter for 10-15 minutes in case TSA needs me to open the locks. Cleveland took my cell number once. Orlando walked me down to the screening room.

As a note, I have only flied Frontier.

Edited by swordfish