Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammunition Discrepancy

I have run into the issue of bi-metal bullets not being allowed at several major matches, while other matches allow them. Is there a reason for this? Other than they are typically housed in a steel case so RO’s don’t have brass to take home? 

I shoot steel cased cheap ammo when possible for hoser stages, but the matches that don’t allow bi metal don’t even have a provision for this. The rule applies to both rifle and handgun ammunition. 

Note: I am specifically talking about bi-metal, NOT green tip/penetrator ammo, even though I’ve seen steel shot with green tip that didn’t have a mark on it. 

Typically what I have run into is an alleged target damage claim. 

To add to my original post: usually the ranges that allow magnetic bullets specify that the bullet can be cut with wire cutters, therefore only disallowing penetrator ammo. 

When you spend 10s of thous on tgts, shoot the cheap crap ammo that damages them at them all you want. Otherwise, adhere to the rules at the match.

The reason we don't allow magnetic projectile ammo is two fold, it can spark off the tgts and rocks and cause fire, and it will damage tgts.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I’ve shot plenty of my own targets with bi-metal  ammo. 

I’ve shot them with penetrator too, to see what happened (not advocating this) and they were fine. 

Seems like a 40 grain varmint bullet at 3500 FPS causes more damage than a 55grain bi metal at 2800 FPS

I never said I wasn’t adhering to the rules of a particular match; it is a bit of an inconvenience to read through different rule sets to see if I can shoot Wolf, or if I need to bring AE to hose paper with. 

We prohibit bimetal for TWO reasons:

1) I run my matches in AZ, often shooting into Sonoran Desert natural terrain. Steel projectiles spark when they hit rocks, which has caused fires. Obviously this is a problem in a desert; we have to hurriedly shut down the range and run out there to douse the flames before things get out of control. Last time it happened (at someone else's match who allows bimetal ammo) it was a close-run thing.

2) We prohibit green tip and similar penetrator ammo due to target damage. The only practical way to detect violations of this rule is to test projectiles with a magnet. If we allow bimetal ammo, this makes policing the rule a lot more difficult.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

8 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

2) We prohibit green tip and similar penetrator ammo due to target damage. The only practical way to detect violations of this rule is to test projectiles with a magnet. If we allow bimetal ammo, this makes policing the rule a lot more difficult

Hit the nail on the head. Some of the clubs that I shoot at have a rule that if it sticks to a magnet you don't shoot. It doesn't matter what part sticks, bullet or case you still don't shoot.

55 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Hit the nail on the head. Some of the clubs that I shoot at have a rule that if it sticks to a magnet you don't shoot. It doesn't matter what part sticks, bullet or case you still don't shoot.

Problem with a rule like that is hornady steel match, quality bullets but a steel case.  But that is how it goes sometimes

12 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Fortunately, you can usually tell pretty easily if the bullet is sticking vs. the case.

Right, but that is not what Blacklab said, so according to him Hornady steel match would not be allowed at some of the clubs he shoots at.  Seems silly but, its their match so...

On 9/21/2018 at 11:48 PM, RJH said:

Right, but that is not what Blacklab said, so according to him Hornady steel match would not be allowed at some of the clubs he shoots at.  Seems silly but, its their match so...

I’m a little late to respond but yes unfortunately anything that sticks to a magnet can’t be used. I asked them about it and that said their not taking any chances. Cant say I agree or disagree with them. Like you said their match their rules. 

I’ve shot plenty of my own targets with bi-metal  ammo. 

I’ve shot them with penetrator too, to see what happened (not advocating this) and they were fine. 

Seems like a 40 grain varmint bullet at 3500 FPS causes more damage than a 55grain bi metal at 2800 FPS

I never said I wasn’t adhering to the rules of a particular match; it is a bit of an inconvenience to read through different rule sets to see if I can shoot Wolf, or if I need to bring AE to hose paper with. 

Speed is what kills steel targets. I have a plate hanging out the back of my range that has been unharmed by thousands of 308 and 6.5 cm rounds then one day a guy shot it with 65grain out of a 6rem now it has a hole through it. My target guy says 3000fps is the tolerance point of true ar500 steel

On 9/29/2018 at 9:37 PM, mwray said:

Speed is what kills steel targets. I have a plate hanging out the back of my range that has been unharmed by thousands of 308 and 6.5 cm rounds then one day a guy shot it with 65grain out of a 6rem now it has a hole through it. My target guy says 3000fps is the tolerance point of true ar500 steel

Yes.  But how do you test this quickly and easily at a match?

Yes.  But how do you test this quickly and easily at a match?

Well you can test the bullet for steel core with a magnet. That covers most of the AR rounds. Rifle matches tend to have a cap on speed at 3100 FPS. I seen guy get sent home at a PRS match because his 6.5SAUM was obviously way beyond 3100fps. Dude wrecked every target he engaged

39 minutes ago, mwray said:

Well you can test the bullet for steel core with a magnet. That covers most of the AR rounds. Rifle matches tend to have a cap on speed at 3100 FPS. I seen guy get sent home at a PRS match because his 6.5SAUM was obviously way beyond 3100fps. Dude wrecked every target he engaged

Kinda like shooting heavy metal. "I shoot heavy metal cause i like to tear s#!t up," is one my favorite things i heard at match. Haha