Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressed 1911, spring questions

Foxtrotx1

Hey all. Running a 1911 with an Obsidian .45 can. Pistol is a colt competition with a traditional GI spring set up. 14lb recoil, 17 lb main spring. The firing pin plate has a healthy radius (whatever Colt sends out with the gun). 

Loads are 3.8 grains Canadian clays, 230 grains FMJ. No idea what velocity that is. 

The gun runs most of the time with the can, but occasionally will fail to lock back on an empty mag. I'm guessing that the increased slide velocity is outrunning my 47DE mags. I haven't noticed if it happens with my ETMs. Occasionally there is a round that fails to feed (dives), but it's only happened once in a blue moon. 

Gun is 100 percent without the can.

Does this sound like a slide velocity issue or a weak mag spring/dirty mag issue all of the above problem?

Edited by Foxtrotx1

2 hours ago, Foxtrotx1 said:

occasionally will fail to lock back on an empty mag.

Occasionally there is a round that fails to feed (dives), but it's only happened once in a blue moon. 

I don't see much of a problem with the slide not locking back …    ?

FTF might be the mag (esp if it happens "once in a blue moon" - try to

isolate which mag you used when it FTF, and work on that one mag.    :) 

Ok i'll focus on the mags. My 47DEs feel sluggish these days. 

With other pistols I know the suppressor will increase slide velocity due to the additional back pressure. Unlocking generally occures earlier too. 

I know the super 7 kits won't be popular here for game reasons, but does anyone know if they are worth it for practice mags? 

Edited by Foxtrotx1