Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Build - Glock or CZ 75B

Fo0

I am wanting to build a new open gun. Either a Glock 34 or CZ 75B. I would have to find a gunsmith to do the machine work on the CZ if I went that route. I have already collected some parts for both. I want something reliable that will shoot. Trying to get GM.

Glock 34.jpg

2106184944_CZ75B.thumb.jpg.75a3064ebc2c0795093f4f0e7dbd0e5d.jpg

Edited by Fo0

I suspect that to become a GM, you are going to want to have at least two identical guns,

and fire at least $3,000 worth of ammo/year, plus spend at least $5,000/year in other gear

and travel/entrant fees.  (I'm probably estimating way low here, BTW).

Since you've committed to spending a minimum of $10,000 / year for the next couple years,

I would think you'd be better off buying two identical STI's.     :surprise:

They will be "reliable, will shoot and will get you to GM".     :cheers:

BTW, you don't mention what you're currently shooting or your level of shooting ??

Again, with that type of commitment, I would personally select a .38 rather than a 9mm.

Obviously money cannot matter too much to try to push from M to GM, and there is

a very slight edge to the .38 route over the 9mm route (Not enough for me to give up

my 9mm Major, but if I were going all the way, to GM, I'd give up the 9mm in a second).

Good luck - hope we see you waving a GM card next year.      ?

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I suspect that to become a GM, you are going to want to have at least two identical guns,

and fire at least $3,000 worth of ammo/year, plus spend at least $5,000/year in other gear

and travel/entrant fees.  (I'm probably estimating way low here, BTW).

Since you've committed to spending a minimum of $10,000 / year for the next couple years,

I would think you'd be better off buying two identical STI's.     :surprise:

They will be "reliable, will shoot and will get you to GM".     :cheers:

BTW, you don't mention what you're currently shooting or your level of shooting ??

Again, with that type of commitment, I would personally select a .38 rather than a 9mm.

Obviously money cannot matter too much to try to push from M to GM, and there is

a very slight edge to the .38 route over the 9mm route (Not enough for me to give up

my 9mm Major, but if I were going all the way, to GM, I'd give up the 9mm in a second).

Good luck - hope we see you waving a GM card next year.      ?

This isn't true, in my personal experience. Making GM can be done mostly at home with lots of dryfire and some regular live fire. It doesn't have to cost you $10k a year. If it did I certainly wouldn't be one. 

I also wouldn't go 38. The only advantage a 38 may have is in reliability because of the brass. But that is just because the only 38SC brass is made by Starline, so it is all the same headstamp. If you tuned your 9 gun to run a single specific headstamp it would be exactly the same. Not to mention that the 70%+ of your shooting that (should) happens on the practice range is cheaper because you don't have to buy brass. I have been shooting new 9 brass for majors this year, and range pickup for the rest of it. Even buying brand new brass for majors, I'm money ahead over a 38. 

That being said, if the goal is being a competitive GM, I would go with well built custom 2011s or possibly Czechmates, not some home brew thing. Why? Because it is going to be a major pain to make it work and WHEN (not if, when) it goes down, you are gonna be way up a creek. The inertia 2011s have in open division means that while there are other options that could be made to work, you are on your own if you choose one of them and something goes wrong. If your mags, gun, ammo, holster etc goes down and you can't fix it at a match and you shoot a 2011... you ask your squad and people will have stuff to help get you through. 

19 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

This isn't true, in my personal experience. Making GM can be done mostly at home with lots of dryfire and some regular live fire. It doesn't have to cost you $10k a year. If it did I certainly wouldn't be one. 

I also wouldn't go 38. The only advantage a 38 may have is in reliability because of the brass. But that is just because the only 38SC brass is made by Starline, so it is all the same headstamp. If you tuned your 9 gun to run a single specific headstamp it would be exactly the same. Not to mention that the 70%+ of your shooting that (should) happens on the practice range is cheaper because you don't have to buy brass. I have been shooting new 9 brass for majors this year, and range pickup for the rest of it. Even buying brand new brass for majors, I'm money ahead over a 38. 

That being said, if the goal is being a competitive GM, I would go with well built custom 2011s or possibly Czechmates, not some home brew thing. Why? Because it is going to be a major pain to make it work and WHEN (not if, when) it goes down, you are gonna be way up a creek. The inertia 2011s have in open division means that while there are other options that could be made to work, you are on your own if you choose one of them and something goes wrong. If your mags, gun, ammo, holster etc goes down and you can't fix it at a match and you shoot a 2011... you ask your squad and people will have stuff to help get you through. 

Listen to him,  OPEN guns break its sad but true, being able to borrow a nearly identical gun, or parts, from 9/10th of the other competitors in open is a good thing. 

There are several Glock and M&P Open guns at the matches I shoot at.  Their main advantage is you can get a complete setup for under $2000.  Their main disadvantage is they wear too quickly with major loads.  One of my friends just replaced the steel frame rails on his M&P for the FOURTH time.

CZ Czeckmates seem to run no matter what you feed them.  Their only disadvantage is you have to load to standard SAAMI length, an that increases pressure.  9mm 2011 Open guns have to be tuned.  The problem is getting them to feed and eject reliably.

I shoot a 2011 in Open.  I don't carry any spare parts with me, because I have a backup gun.  If I didn't, I carry an entire prefitted firing control system, ambi safety and mag catch.  All of them would be exactly the same as what was in the gun.Those are the parts most likely to break or wear out from constant dry firing plus matches.

If you truly serious about going down the GM path in Open...all the luck to you.

But as in any sport that requires you to compete at the top levels...don't handicap yourself with the wrong tools/Guns.

Check to see how many of the USPSA GM shooters use a Glock or even a CZ.  That does not make these gun bad...just not suited for that specific task. 

Their is a reason that Max, Chis, Lesgar, Bill, all use STI frame based guns.

At the GM level every competitive edge is worth a fraction of a second.....Your not looking at what the winners shoot.

Buy the best tools that are suited for the job.  Find a custom gunsmith, work with him and have a Match Gun and Practice Gun built...yes two guns  

I guess I could build a 2011 if it is that much better than a CZ 75. I think the Glock is out of the question. The only problem with CZ is finding a gunsmith for the machine work; I asked five different gunsmiths and all of them said they can't or won't do work on CZ. I shot Glock, 2011 but never a CZ 75 to compare.

testuntitled.jpg

8 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

I also wouldn't go 38. The only advantage a 38 may have is in reliability because of the brass. But that is just because the only 38SC brass is made by Starline, so it is all the same headstamp.

FYI, 38 Supercomp (rimless) brass is made by: Starline, Hornady, Armscor, Jagemann, Lapua (no longer made), and there is 38TJ made by Starline (and Hornady used to make it).

Saw this thread flipped, over to the CK arms website saw the "Open solution"  for 2750 base price.  That would be the first place i looked.   CK seems to make a good product and that is a smoking price on a ready to go open blaster.  Kinda their version of a trubore

if you're dead set on a glock for open

suggest 2 things:
1. go with a .40 cal gun(22, 35, 24)
- less ejection tuning required
- no need to run super high pressures using short OAL 9mm rounds
- factory ammo will make major
2. Slide mounted optics would be better IMO
- the rail/frame of a glock, especially shoot major flexes a ton under recoil
- frame mounted optics also generally cause more ejection problems

you'll likely need at least 2 guns (as mentioned above),
glocks don't last very long shooting major.

KC Eusebio did an interview a few years ago right after he left team glock
he mentioned reliability was one of the biggest concerns.
mostly due to the frame wearing out

Bob Vogel also mentioned he has practice guns and match guns,
for all the guns he shoots(17, 34, 35, 24)

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

^^^^^^^^^   That's a real problem, unless you have your own gunsmithing facilities      ^^^^^^^^^^^^

STI all the way - start with one, and then add a 2nd, and you'll be all set to go to GM.     :) 

because this is very  old and simple design and u can get parts easily  . 

My open Glock runs 100%. I have a slide mounted red dot, and it seems that everytime I read a problem with a open Glock it’s with frame mounted red dots not ejecting correctly. Now there is definitely a lot to be gained by doing it that way, as long as it runs right. But for pure reliably the slide mounted really works well. And with a efficient comp the dot stays in the glass the whole time. I have a new 2011, not even an open gun that im having problems getting running. But I never have any problems with ny Glock open gun.