Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha X mag pouch issues?

EddieCrispo

Is anyone else having any issues with the new Alpha X mag pouches? I recently purchased but am having issues with the mounting. Where the piece slides into the desired position in the AA's. I tightened pretty firm and found that after about 10 reloads it was loose. So I took it off and re-tightened. And again after about 10 reloads it lossened up again. So I cranked down on it yet again and after a few reloads the whole thing came off. I was literally holding my mag in hand with the pouch still on it. The metal in the AA's bent as well as the metal in the ball hinge. I read the instructions on mounting positions and feel like I did everything according to the instructions. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue with the new pouches. 952edb3931eaa83a62a949b55f6718af.jpgc02db9d1ea894ba53508501e3887959f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about putting the stud in that location but didn't like the shortness of the engagement area on the upper part, so I went around the corner on that slot so I could get full engagement of both slots. Maybe that has something to do with it. I'd suggest sending it back to DAA and see what they say. I'm thinking they'll replace it at the least.

Thanks man. I called them and talked to him about the issue I was having and he said he'd be glad to swap or refund. I was thinking the same thing about the location and the amount of material in the upper portion of the A. I like the idea and possibilities of different mounting locations but a little paranoid that it'll happen again at a major or something.lol. Was thinking of trying the Guga pouches also.

I thought about putting the stud in that location but didn't like the shortness of the engagement area on the upper part, so I went around the corner on that slot so I could get full engagement of both slots. Maybe that has something to do with it. I'd suggest sending it back to DAA and see what they say. I'm thinking they'll replace it at the least.

Well that's good to know. Maybe I will have to revisit these. I got a little paranoid to give them another go at the moment being that I have several majors coming up. I purchased a guga but havent tried it yet.

I’ve had to send 3 pouches back for the same problem. The replacements have had no issues. 

They will send you new ball joints that lock up super tight and had the parts in 2 days and not a single issue 
Ya I did and also have a friend who recieved all new parts. They still stripped out. He sent his back in and returned as well. I think these would be ok for me if I was reloading carry optics or production as I wouldn't be slamming my hand in a downward motion the way I do when shooting open. I have all DAA products and wish this pouch worked for me. But it's ok. I still use the alpha x holster, other pouches, and a yuuuuge DAA range bag backpack. Now that big ole thing I love.lol

1 hour ago, Nalle2491 said:

Thats not to cool for some of the most expensive mag pouches out right now. I've always been a fan of Saul Kirsch and DAA in general but i would have to think twice about upgrading from  my Race master mag pouches after seeing that.

What I think is not cool is the fact the people think they have to blast this kind of thing over the public forum/internet without letting the business/company address the issue. I get that there are trends involved with a faulty product, either through design or poor workmanship, however at least let the company try and fix it first. If they refuse or they didn't fix it, then yeh, let's all chat about it here and be warned in the future. 

Never go full retard right out of the gate, just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

What I think is not cool is the fact the people think they have to blast this kind of thing over the public forum/internet without letting the business/company address the issue. I get that there are trends involved with a faulty product, either through design or poor workmanship, however at least let the company try and fix it first. If they refuse or they didn't fix it, then yeh, let's all chat about it here and be warned in the future. 

Never go full retard right out of the gate, just my opinion. 

whoaa... maybe you should blast the person that posted this instead of me, and also not come across in such a hostile manner. I know DAA would fix this without question, they have some of the best customer service out there, but for the price of those mag pouches you shouldnt even have to worry about that. Thats my opinion on it.

3 hours ago, Nalle2491 said:

whoaa... maybe you should blast the person that posted this instead of me, and also not come across in such a hostile manner. I know DAA would fix this without question, they have some of the best customer service out there, but for the price of those mag pouches you shouldnt even have to worry about that. Thats my opinion on it.

No worries, I wasn't upset at you at all. Just not happy with the thread itself. 

Just sent mine back for same reason.

The magazine pouch body is novel and certainly cool, however the mounting system is less than confidence inspiring. I'll be using my Polymer Racers until they come out with a more robust mounting system.

Note: DAA customer service was very helpful and nice.

daa.jpg

my buddy bought 5 of these pouches a few days ago,last night 2 of them came apart and my picture looks about the same as the one posted by the op,double alpha responded this morning and are being great about this,so no this isnt a piss on AA this is a topic started by a guy that had some issues with a product and i think he did a great job by posting it to see if others are having the same issues, now that thats out im curious as to the fix,AA suggests that the balljont allen may not hve been tight enough and is asking us to retighten as tight as we can get,we tried this and im still able to grab the mag roughly and get the pouch to pop off,so my buddy will be getting a replacement,now where im going with this is,was there a probem with the first set or was it not being tight enough and it opened the dovetail up,what are others thoughts? thanxs!

5 hours ago, ElkChaser said:

That sucks to hear that people are still having issues with them personally I love mine with a new updated parts and luckily double alpha has incredible customer service

What are the updated parts?  Before you install them on your belt figure out a way to hold the ball joint and tighten the set screw in super tight. Back it out and install it wherever you want. That should keep it locked on nice and tight.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:06 PM, ElkChaser said:

The new ball joint they send me have a small bearing In them making lockup almost Instantaneous and rocksolid but you have to be careful not to overtighten  and break them

Could you take a pic of the ball bearing, I'm having trouble visualizing where they would put it. I think I had a problem with mine because they weren't tight enough, I blame the cheezee allen wrenches they send with the holster. I replaced them with Snap On allen sockets from my old work toolbox (i'm a retired mechanic) and a 4" extension and a 1/4" ratchet, I can get some torque on them now, haven't had a problem since the last tighten (knock on wood ?)

The ball bearing goes  in the ball joint and then the screw just call DAA they will send you out the right part mine were the same almost broke an Allen wrench to tighten with the bearing in them they lock up right away with little to no effort guess the tolerances were off on the first ones

Hi All,

Saul Kirsch here, from DAA. Let me try and shed some light on this discussion:

The very first batch of pouches shipped out with a design that we found worked great in testing, but, later, in production, found (after shipping a few hundred) that in some cases the tolerances in the dimensions of the rail on the pouch body, and the dovetail on the ball joint, made it very difficult to lock up securely.

The solution to this issue, was an improvement we have used before on other products – a hardened steel ball bearing added into the design of the ball joint, under a shorter screw. This design works much better as the ball bearing functions to expand the dovetail on the ball wider and easier that just the screw would.

As soon as we realized this issue- we updated all the stock we had (and sent parts out to distributors asking them to update stock), to make sure that all the product we shipped out from that point on would include this ball bearing upgrade. That update was completed early August, but I cannot be 100% sure all our stocking dealers updated their stock with the parts we sent them.

This is not to say that ALL the pouches without the ball have any potential issue – only some of them. 10-20% I feel. And then that still depended on how they were locked up and in what location on the pouch body.

After these balls were added (and another 3000 or so pouches shipped out and are being used) we have had just one or two issues of a pouch not being able to lock up.

I am very confident now that with the ball added, the design is solid and these pouches lock up as they should – IF ENOUGH FORCE IS APPLIED TO THE SCREW.

In discussions with customers who had these coming loose (in the updated model), some said they felt they had tightened it as much as they should –I then asked them to tighten it as must as they COULD, and once they did that – no more issues.

There are simpler ways, of course,  to attach a pouch body to a hanger. And I thought long and hard about this design, testing it extensively. There are some very nice advantages to this concept: Not having the screw mounted through the side wall allows the inner spacers to be replaced without dismantling the pouch. and, the several mounting points in the logos and back slots add great positioning versatility.

If anyone has any questions or comments, always feel free to reach out to me directly at daa(at)doublealpha.biz

Thanks,

Saul

I have 4 of them. Only about a month old now, but I haven’t had any problems yet. Not sure if mine have the upgrade or not, got them from midway so I’d assume a distributor that big probably got the upgrade. I’m really happy with them so far. I’m about to order a second set for my open rig. 

On 10/5/2018 at 8:14 PM, cjsmith223 said:

I was actually fixing to order a set of these but i think i will wait until they come out with a better mounting system. I love everything i have form DAA. Cant wit for them to find a fix for this. 

I agree.  Please keep me posted.  I’d like to try your’s out before buying.