Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 gr 9mm Major Loads??

EddieCrispo

Does anyone shoot 9 major and use 147's. I am looking for loads and recipies. My Limcat has 2 barrels and I primarily shoot 38SC but I'm thinking of 9 major for as many locals as I shoot. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I also enjoy silhouette. I'm at 8.6 in my 38sc and runs great. Thanks though I will have to try the 115s!

I've done it, but not a fan.   6.6gr of HS-6 under an RMR 147gr hardcore match made major. 

8.3 Silhouette and 115's is so much better. 

54 minutes ago, Tochnost said:

Vihtavhouri has a std pressure 9mm load for 3n38(6.9) that gets you to major easily. Not as much gas to work your comp as the lighter bullets though

VV also lists a load for 9X21 which can be loaded in 9X19 and makes major with 115s:

9.4gr 3N38 under a 115 at 1.161"

115's are great and 147's are possible, but most people use 124's for 9mm Major   [emoji4] 
Thanks. I also have only run 124s for 9major but since I have a go to load for 38sc I figured I'd play with other options in 9major as my 124 loads weren't the best feeling in all of the powders that I tried so far.

Vihtavhouri has a std pressure 9mm load for 3n38(6.9) that gets you to major easily. Not as much gas to work your comp as the lighter bullets though

Thanks. I'll have to try the 3n38. I know it's a great powder for my 38sc but never tried it in my 9 as I figured it was too much for the case. Looks like I will have to revisit the option.lol

On 9/18/2018 at 5:41 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

6.9 gr 3n38 gets you to 9mm Major ?

That's not a transposition, is it ?    Is it actually 9.6 gr ?

Sorry. Should have clarified. That is the 147 load. (Screenshot)

I think I was running about 8.3 with 124s when I was shooting open.have to see if I can find my old notes from a few years back.

Screenshot_20180920-103035_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Tochnost

I thought about this myself. As with minor loads my softest shooting are the 147s cause they take less powder. But with the comp, the more gas the better the comp works. So while you might get away with less powder, the gun may not be quite as flat cause the comp isn’t working as effective..that’s the theory anyways. I’d still like to try it myself. I have some 147s that I been meaning to load up an test. Who knows maybe will be surprised. 

115's and 124's are the current meta. Purely from a physics standpoint, the heavier the bullet for a given power factor the less total recoil. But when you're trying to work a comp things get more complicated and the lighter bullets are more often used so you can pack in more powder. 124's feel softer than 115's but some (like me) find the 115's get them back on target quicker even though they hit the hand a bit snappier.