Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giant Glock Taccom mag extension

Brand new factory 33round mag. The follower and magazine have been blended and chamfered to what I believe to be sufficient. I’m having issues with spring binding when loading it up to 55 round capacity, with my reloads, 124gr Acme RN. Starts to bind as the follower enters the extension at about 33 rounds or so. It does not seem to bind with factory 115gr FMJ. I’ve reduced OAL to at or below the factory ammo that works (1.115”). Still binding. The only other variable that I see is the Bullet profile and diameter. Any suggestions or proven Bullet profiles?

108dd0c4d4fb573704429bd69c4aec37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was running Bayou 135g coated RN ar 1.2 and still had inconsistentcy in loading and feeding from extended mags. Changed to Berry's 135g FMJ bullets (slightly longer bullet) and have no more loading or feeding issues. I won't go back to coated bullets at this point.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1.200” seems pretty long for a Glock mag..
I just tried 124 gr aguila factory ammo measures 1.146”. It seems ok. Doesn’t look like the OAL is the issue. The acme reloads work fine in a 33 rounder with a TTI +10 base pad..

Load the mag with 40 rounds.......strip out the first 5 rounds. If they move up slow......the mag is not a good mag for an extension. It could be too fat, too much flash, ect. 

This past summer, I put 4 mags together and to this day, they still run 100%. The bad news is......I used 6 magazines, that all loaded 33 rounds perfectly. The 2 magazines that would not work with the extensions......are in my bag and I use for classifiers.

Bottom line......and this is not only with our extension, but pretty much any extension that will give you 40 rounds or more........not all glock magazines are created equal. they have multiple molds for the bodies and lets face it......the magazine was not designed to feed thru the bottom. 

Try another magazine........in fact, try it with the mag that you have the TTI extension on.

One thing i did do to one of my extensions as it was soooooooo close to running. The mag was just a little 'fat' and I found that out when I loosened the screws. I took and sanded the body and bottom lips a tad and boom!!......worked like the other 3.

One thing you also might want to do to the follower......the shelf that normally pushes on the slide lock of the pistol......I normally put a 45 degree bevel on that. I really don;t care about bolt hold ope anyways......and especially with a 55 round magazine.

Load the mag with 40 rounds.......strip out the first 5 rounds. If they move up slow......the mag is not a good mag for an extension. It could be too fat, too much flash, ect. 
This past summer, I put 4 mags together and to this day, they still run 100%. The bad news is......I used 6 magazines, that all loaded 33 rounds perfectly. The 2 magazines that would not work with the extensions......are in my bag and I use for classifiers.

Bottom line......and this is not only with our extension, but pretty much any extension that will give you 40 rounds or more........not all glock magazines are created equal. they have multiple molds for the bodies and lets face it......the magazine was not designed to feed thru the bottom. 

Try another magazine........in fact, try it with the mag that you have the TTI extension on.

One thing i did do to one of my extensions as it was soooooooo close to running. The mag was just a little 'fat' and I found that out when I loosened the screws. I took and sanded the body and bottom lips a tad and boom!!......worked like the other 3.

That’s exactly what was happening. The rounds moving up slow while being stripped by hand. I did try loosening up the screws significantly, after reading your posts on the mag splices. No dice. However, after swapping mag bodies with the TTI mag, it seems to work perfectly. Will have to test in live fire, but looks promising. Probably ought to pick up a few more 33 rounders. Thanks TRUBL.

Thank you........it's amazing the calls I get. My mag works perfectly with 33 rounds......but will not work with your extension. Logic dictates that it MUST be the extension.......but we've found that more often, it is the magazine for the reasons I spelt out. And again.....it's not just a taccom thing, it's with any of the HUGE extensions out there, well any that give you 10 or more, because at that point, the follower (and the rounds) are leaving the bottom of the parent magazine.

Very glad you got it to work!!

Tim

Initially I was thinking an ammo issue since factory rounds worked fine. I did try the TTI extension on the “bad” mag body when swapping your extension, those rounds exhibited some lethargy as well , that 100% confirms that its a mag issue.

I started seeing problems after about 9 months of perfect performance from an ETS with TF +10. Found out the spring had weakened enough that the mag only ran 100% when the insides were squeaky clean. Any carbon, lead or coating build-up from the projectiles would cause slow stripping before the match ended. The problem was worse with long-loaded, non-FMJ projectiles that would drag the nose of the round. The non-FMJ RN rounds were more “grippy” and had more issues sticking with a weak spring.