Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-based PCC allowed in NY State competitions?

Hello All,

So I've recently put together a PCC on a pre-ban lower to be compliant in my state of CT.  Thing is, there are some IDPA and USPSA competitions in NY and NJ state that I'd like to shoot PCC in, but can I even do that with the AR9 even if my ownership in my home state is legal?  When bringing pistols, I have them as well as my ammo in locked separate containers in my trunk when I travel there, as both state and town police have confirmed with me is legal.  I have a Ruger PC9 so I know I'd be fine with that, but I'd really like to shoot my AR9.

There's a 'tactical rifle' competition (with USPSA scoring) in NY State I'd like to also participate in with my 5.56 AR...I have to assume that other competitors will have them too.  Any advice is appreciated, much thanks.

Edited by MoRivera

I've shot a lot in NY and NJ in the past with an AR.  Your state "legality" doesn't matter.  You have to comply with the laws of the state you are participating in.  The main issue is mag capacity.  Check that out and comply.  If I remember correctly, when in NY I had to have the rifle case locked when traveling.  

It is not legal in NY if it violates the SAFE act which it likely does if based on AR platform.   Several of my shooting friends have pre-ban AR based PCC that they wish to bring in NY but cannot.    

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/assault-weapons-in-new-york/

New York’s assault weapon law prohibits manufacturing, transporting, disposing of or possessing an assault weapon in the state.1

An assault weapon is defined as:

• A semi-automatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:

o A folding or telescoping stock;

o A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

o A thumbhole stock;

o A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;

o A bayonet mount;

o A flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator,  or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, or muzzle compensator;

o A grenade launcher; 

• A semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol or other weapon as defined by New York Penal Law § 265.00(22)(e)(v) as that section read under the laws of 2000 and otherwise lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994; or

• A semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol that qualifies as an assault weapon as defined above and possessed prior to January 15, 2013.

4 hours ago, Old3GNR said:

I've shot a lot in NY and NJ in the past with an AR.  Your state "legality" doesn't matter.  You have to comply with the laws of the state you are participating in.  The main issue is mag capacity.  Check that out and comply.  If I remember correctly, when in NY I had to have the rifle case locked when traveling.  

Same with NJ, rifle case locked and or with a trigger lock. No magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

So essentially, since both my PCC and 5.56 have....

- a Pistol Grip

- a Muzzle Brake

- a Telescoping Stock

...they are illegal configurations in both NJ and NY, so I cannot bring them in.  That stinks.....and no way am I shooting them with one of those awful non-feature grip thingy's.....even if I go with a fixed stock and non-threaded barrel.  Guess I'll just shoot the Ruger.  Man, NY is down to just ONE of those features to make the sh*t list!  Maybe in NJ, if my pinned/welded muzzle brake qualifies as okay.

Now.......I won't say that I HAVEN'T seen some AR carbines at some small local shoots in both states that had those 'banned' features, but that's their choices not mine.  And with this upcoming 'tactical rifle' match.....which is open to all sorts of rifles and PCC's...I can't imagine all the AR's being neutered versions.

What really sucks is the there are no USPSA matches in my state.  Shooting PCC in various USPSA matches I go to in NY and NJ was one of the motivating factors to plunk down the money for a pre-ban lower, but as it turns out it still doesn't matter.  Still glad I got it, but talk about getting cut off at the knees.

Thanks for the info, all.

Edited by MoRivera

Not sure where you live in CT but Bradford Action Shooters club in RI puts on a great USPSA match every month and they allow PCC.

Also Monson and Granby MA have monthly USPSA matches and they are not too far over the border.

Edited by JZELEK
5 hours ago, MoRivera said:

Shooting PCC  I go to in NY and NJ  , but talk about getting cut off at the knees.

I lived in NJ for 20 years and NY for 35 years, and now I avoid both states like the plague

when it comes to shooting (unless you run Revolver or Production).     :eatdrink:

Just not worth it.   Lot of confusion as to exactly what is legal and not, and you'll be

competing with locals who push the envelope and will have "better" gear than you

thought would be legal at the match.   Not worth it.

Try PA - now that's a great shooting state    :) 

I shoot 4x / month in NY ( I live in CT );   Most of the NY clubs issue an NRA sanctioning letter for the event which allows you to posses a pistol in NY for the event.   ( Several come to NY from CT / NJ / PA );   Attending an NRA sanctioned event is legal.   NY allows PCC just not in violation of the SAFE act.  It is a total PITA.   There are rifles with fixed magazines which are safe and therefore are allowed other features, or many use the PCC ruger. 

Here is an example of NRA sanctioning letter;  https://lipsa.us/Content/Files/NRA_Sanction_Letter.pdf

The original question here is around the SAFE act and what features are legal or not on a rifle.    If you don't have an AR style rifle it isn't a huge deal honestly.   Way harder than it should be, and yes PA is much more friendly. 

I hear and agree with  your frustration.    There are IDPA events in CT, but I know of zero USPSA or SCSA official events.  

Edited by jrdoran
1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

How, in God's name, could you possibly live in a state that is devoid 

of a Mickey Mouse attraction ?     ?

Well, we do have a MM attraction running against our senator. Does that count?? He would pretty much like to turn Texas into NY, CA, or NJ.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm
13 hours ago, JZELEK said:

Not sure where you live in CT but Bradford Action Shooters club in RI puts on a great USPSA match every month and they allow PCC.

Also Monson and Granby MA have monthly USPSA matches and they are not too far over the border.

Yeah I almost made the last IDPA up there but had a conflict with something else.  It's a 2.5-hr drive for me.  Will try to make one if I can plan early enough.

Crap!  I just realized that I can't shoot my Ruger PC9 in NY either......because it has a threaded barrel and I currently have a muzzle break on there that isn't pinned/welded, just crush--washered.

So I officially/legally can't shoot PCC in NY State.  This sucks!  Not that I can't and already don't shoot my pistols in some matches, but crap!!!  I can shoot my AR's in NJ if I put a fixed stock on (getting a Magpul Fixed anyway) since the muzzle brakes are pinned/welded, and my Ruger since it only has a threaded barrel.

This upcoming Tactical Rifle match in NY State (that I had to withdraw from)...I'm fascinated by what people will actually be bringing there.

Edited by MoRivera

It's just sad what has happened in some of the states. I used to jump through the hoops and read all the rules to travel to some of those matches but I decided I would no longer leave the free states to go to competitions. It's not worth the risk and hassle and it just takes all the fun out of it so there is no point since I only did it for fun.