Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No love for the S&W M&P in USPSA

Salsantini

With plastic guns there is a new hotness that comes with a GM card that comes out every year or so.  The M&Ps turn was 7 or 8 years ago.  But as long as you don't have one of the very early models that had accuracy issues (at least i think it was only the early models, someone correct me it i am wrong), and your gun works,  they are as good as any other plastic fantastic.  Or, at least, i would have a hard time believing that any other plastic gun was provably better.

54 minutes ago, RJH said:

Also are they asking cause it is an M&P or cause it is a 40?

This.

M&Ps are at least as common as XDMs and Walthers in Production here.

.40 however is not. I occasionally shoot my M&P40 in Limited.

Agree; unless you handload there’s no reason to be shooting .40 in USPSA.

And the M&P with their legendarily mediocre accuracy in 9mm fell out of favor in general around 5 years ago.

Most of us diehards switched to metal guns, or back to Glock... or to a newer / ergonomically superior / more accurate plastic gun, like the Walther Q5.

34 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Agree; unless you handload there’s no reason to be shooting .40 in USPSA.

I'm thinking what you mean is there's no reason to shoot Production in USPSA. I have shot .40 in Limited for Major scoring with bought ammo. Most 180 grain ammo from the known suppliers make major. The last time I was chrono'ed, my PF was near 180 with store-bought loads.

Edited by Mcfoto

I had one a couple years ago, M&P Pro. I loved the gun and started shooting Carry Optics with it. Accuracy was very good. After a while it just seemed like it was very slow and holding me back.

Bought a Stock ll. I'm not looking back. AT ALL

15 hours ago, RJH said:

rlso are they asking cause it is an M&P or cause it is a 40?

They are asking because it is a M&P.  .40 minor when loaded to minimum power factor shoots softer than 9mm. These is never any mention of the .40 round.  Only that S&W junk

Edited by Salsantini
grammer

40 is a weird choice for Production, but M&Ps are still around. As someone else pointed out they're at least as common generally as non Glock plastic guns. I started out with one, but have since gone DA/SA. The guy who took 2nd Production at the Tenn state match this last weekend did so with a regular duty sized M&P that he runs about as well as someone could.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, robchavous said:

40 is a weird choice for Production, but M&Ps are still around. As someone else pointed out they're at least as common generally as non Glock plastic guns. I started out with one, but have since gone DA/SA. The guy who took 2nd Production at the Tenn state match this last weekend did so with a regular duty sized M&P that he runs about as well as someone could.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

.40 minor can be pretty sweet from what I’ve seen. Costs a little more is the only down side

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

.40 minor can be pretty sweet from what I’ve seen. Costs a little more is the only down side

Having shot both in Production, I personally think 40 minor is softer shooting than 9mm minor...and the only reason I left to 9 minor is cost. 40 minor in a plastic fantastic is easy shooting. To get the same kind of recoil impulse (for me anyway) in 9mm minor, I had to move to a steel framed gun.

40 minor does shoot softer than 9mm.  It shoots softer still in a steel gun.  There is no disadvantage to shooting 40 minor for Production, except for bullet cost.  I shot with a Production GM last Saturday.  He was shooting 40 minor out of a steel gun.  It certainly did not slow him down any.

BTW, I see lots of M&Ps and Glocks, mostly in Production.  Serious Production shooters seem to prefer the CZs.  In Limited, 2011s and CZ TSs are the most common.