Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To mpx or not?

Well, if this is any indication for you:

I was at my buddy’s farm testing out my new Franken-guard build. It has an 8” barrel with an 8.5” Taccom extension WITH a port. 

As I was wrapping up he pulled and I knew he had an mpx he bought many years ago and never shoots, so I told him to grab it. I loaded up an MPX mag and a Glock mag with 10 rounds of my 135gr Bayou’s over 3.1gr of clays. I shot the guard and then immediately had him hand me the MPX...

I bought it from him on the spot. 

48 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

Well, if this is any indication for you:

I was at my buddy’s farm testing out my new Franken-guard build. It has an 8” barrel with an 8.5” Taccom extension WITH a port. 

As I was wrapping up he pulled and I knew he had an mpx he bought many years ago and never shoots, so I told him to grab it. I loaded up an MPX mag and a Glock mag with 10 rounds of my 135gr Bayou’s over 3.1gr of clays. I shot the guard and then immediately had him hand me the MPX...

I bought it from him on the spot. 

there is no comparison...to the MPX...

Have seen a few vids and was waiting for that one, but got impatient. Curious to see what the street price ends up being vs. buying a used or NOS mpx and adding a lancer HG + Timney or Hiperfire trigger. The thing I was most excited about was the gas system changes they previously mentioned, but nothing about it in that video, so...

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't trade my MPX for any other PCC. I've had issues but have learned how to remedy them with cleaning, the right ammo (130 PF or more), and the right trigger (Hiperfire or Triggertech). I also ended up buying a 2nd upper off Gunbroker just in case. Pistol competitors bring a backup gun, I bring a backup upper. 

Edited by telligentgunner
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, Acer2428 said:

Have seen a few vids and was waiting for that one, but got impatient. Curious to see what the street price ends up being vs. buying a used or NOS mpx and adding a lancer HG + Timney or Hiperfire trigger. The thing I was most excited about was the gas system changes they previously mentioned, but nothing about it in that video, so...

Why oh why did they put a 4.5lb trigger in it when the Hyperfire competition trigger is more like 2lbs. and some change...

I'd really like to shoot it to see if that comp makes much of a difference.

Honestly I think it's pretty cool of them. They (claim) they're not raising MSRP and they're including a really pretty nice feature. IMO a clean, sharp 1-stage 4.5lb trigger isn't holding ANYONE back in USPSA PCC and probably not 95% of the 3-gun shots. I just need them to RELEASE IT ALREADY. With e-forms taking two weeks I said screw it and decided to Form 1/SBR my Gen 1. 

Also I have two top-end Hiperfires and neither one is a 2lb pull

4 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

Honestly I think it's pretty cool of them. They (claim) they're not raising MSRP and they're including a really pretty nice feature. IMO a clean, sharp 1-stage 4.5lb trigger isn't holding ANYONE back in USPSA PCC and probably not 95% of the 3-gun shots. I just need them to RELEASE IT ALREADY. With e-forms taking two weeks I said screw it and decided to Form 1/SBR my Gen 1. 

Your point is well-made as the Timney will no doubt be better than the original factory MPX trigger.  Personally, I'd rather it come without a trigger and a $100.00 lower price tag.  Trigger's are an intensely personal thing so no matter which one they choose, there will be discontent.  But I suppose the Timney will be a nice backup trigger.  

I don't know what a "top end" Hyperfire trigger is.  But I have the 24c and the newer Competition Trigger (formerly known as the 24c) and both pull in the 2lb. range.  

Edited by RolexJohn
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, Acer2428 said:

According to my sources in SIG, the gas system is unchanged, but the bolt carrier and recoil system is changed slightly.  The new carrier has a pivoting op rod which should reduce carrier contact with the upper, as well as some improvements so the charging handle won't drag on the lower receiver which only caused cosmetic issues but was a point of contention for users.

The new bolt carrier/recoil system is fully compatible with gen 2 receivers, gen 2 barrels, and gen 2 magazines so there won’t be an official generational change, just an improvement.

-John

4 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

This made me get mine out and check what it is now that I have used it awhile.  I have the HyperFirer Eclipse and it pulls 1 3/4#. I do run the shoe at the bottom and the engagement surfaces were lubed with AeroShell when I put it together but it's been a long time since the trigger group was taken out and cleaned.

5 minutes ago, Gregg K said:

This made me get mine out and check what it is now that I have used it awhile.  I have the HyperFirer Eclipse and it pulls 1 3/4#. I do run the shoe at the bottom and the engagement surfaces were lubed with AeroShell when I put it together but it's been a long time since the trigger group was taken out and cleaned.

Nice.  The best feeling trigger I've ever tried is the Elf line of triggers - 3-Gun and Match specifically.  A local 3-gunner was sponsored by them for a brief time so several of us local shooters tried out his trigger in his gun, and really liked it.  But nearly all of us experience problems with Elf triggers in our AR's.  That's when I went to Hyperfire and I haven't looked back.  It's NEARLY as good from a feel perspective in my book.  

Using the silver springs, everyone I've ever seen or spoken to get's a 2ish lb. pull...or less in your case.  :)

39 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

some sort of 147gr plated bullet either from rmr or berrys. and either 3.2 of titegroup or 3.3 of sport pistol. i was transitioning around between ammo at the time.

ive used some 115 blue bullets with 3.2 TG out of my MPX.. feels like an airsoft gun ... great for steel challenge too 

runs 100%