Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about a 2011/1911 from a Glock

Jfitz427

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Nalle2491 said:

Once you pick up that 2011, and get it dialed in, you’ll forget than you even own a Glock unless is you daily carry or nightstand gun. But for comps... leave them were they belong.... AT HOME! ??? I’m kidding please no one get mad!

truth! kinda haha. i alwasys said i would still shoot my glock because it is what got me into uspsa and 3 gun, but i never did . and a year later i sold it because i figured someone else could benefit from it and i needed 3 mbx mags ??

but i still carry a g19 becasue my open 2011 is too big for apendix

i get 20rds in my 40 mags though i am pretty sure. for my camerons limited gun. they are also bevin tuned mags

6 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I’m a lefty as well. No chance of an ambi slide release on a 2011. That’s one thing glocks have that 2011s don’t. I’ll have to see how the safety works for me and if a new one is necessary. 

i have an ambi safety on mine.... jussss sayin?

13 hours ago, perttime said:

I own neither - but that is what I'd do.

Most 2011s feel a bit "blocky" in my hands. CZ TS feels good to me, and shoots well. I'd be curious to try a TS Orange - but shops seem to be pretty short of those.

i thought they felt blocky too, but the pt evo grip changed that!

2 hours ago, Nalle2491 said:

Once you pick up that 2011, and get it dialed in, you’ll forget than you even own a Glock unless is you daily carry or nightstand gun. But for comps... leave them were they belong.... AT HOME! ??? I’m kidding please no one get mad!

I have little doubt that after getting this 2011 in 40, im going to be itching to get one in 9 major. But I’m going to wait probably till spring atleast. Put another 25k though my Glock, see if I can get anything serious to break. 

I do carry a Glock though, I think the g19 is one of the best carry guns ever. Got a p365 back in March that I really like too. But nothings as durable and reliable as my glocks. 

5 hours ago, CzViper said:

So did you end up getting the Pantera or STI?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I got the pantera. It was either pay 1375 for a brand new pantera, and from everything I’ve read they seem to run well right out of the box. And I really liked the look of the pantera vs the edge. Or buy a used sti edge or other edge like limited gun, and the cheapest I found was 1500. Multi owner gun, which probably isn’t a problem and likely had all the kinks worked out. But I went with the Sps. It’s brand new, gets pretty damn good reviews. I actually haven’t read any reviews about a new pantera not running right out of the box, minus a little break in period. But none having to go back for warranty work or tune right away. And I’m sure that’s party due to the fact that for every 50 Sti reviews there’s only one for the SPS. But I think the SPS will be great for me. 

I was really debating on the MAC 3011 SSD. 970 bucks on gun broker, literally the only one throughout the whole internet in 40 as far as I could see in stock. But I wanted something compatible with STI parts, since there’s an endless number of sources and threads out there on sti. And the MAC seemed really heavy, 47ozs, vs the SPS at 36. That all steel frame adds slot of weight. Probably helps with recoil though. It’s a sharp looking gun though (the Mac). 

Now I need to develop some good 40 loads. I have tons of 9mm loads, but I haven’t spent much of any time developing 40 loads. Right now I’m loading unique, can’t remember the charge behind a 180g Berry’s Plated. And In my little g23 it’s snappy, I’m sure it’ll be more tame in the 2011. But I’d like to develop something really light that still makes major. Any suggestions??

7 minutes ago, CzViper said:

The Pantera, like you said from all the info that is out there, seems like a solid pistol. Has a great look too it! CONGRATS!!!!

Do you have it already? Pics?

If not, soon?

Ya I’m excited, it definitely looks great. I’m hoping it shoots as well as it looks. I hope the mags atleast work. Or at the very least the tubes are ok, and i can rebuild them with new springs and baseplated to bring them up to 140mm. Is there Sti like +2 baseplates that will bring a 126mm to 140mm? I’d hate to have to buy 5 mags at 75-140 dollars each. 

No pics yet, I ordered it late last night, so I was hoping it would ship today. Haven’t gotten any shipping confirmation yet. But all guns ship via 2 day I think, so hopefully that means I get it by this weekend. 

Man I'm excited for you! 2011's are gorgeous and really have a great feel to them. They feel like sports cars do when you get in one.
We are literally on the same path. Just started to reload for my DVC. I have thousands of Berry's 180 grain plated bullets too but my chrono broke during my move. I couldn't wait and used up the remaining loads (few hundred) with Win 231 I had for my CZ TS plus whatever 40 factory rounds I could find.
Since you are coming from Glock, yes you'll be able to tell the difference. You'll want to get some lower power recoil springs to match your load. I popped in an 11# recoil spring to use on my TS loads and VIOLA just like that......... you'll see!!!!!
I didn't have any issues with my short TS loads with OAL at 1.135 but everyone seems to load waaaay longer for their 2011's. Like I said, we are on the same boat. Just have to get a chrono and find new place that'll let me use one.

What kind of powder are you planning to use?

21 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I’m a lefty as well. No chance of an ambi slide release on a 2011. That’s one thing glocks have that 2011s don’t. I’ll have to see how the safety works for me and if a new one is necessary. 

Lefty here. The lock back on the slide is disabled on my 2011s so no need for an ambi slide release ;) . Had no issues with the safety width on the ambi safety.

11 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Ya I’m excited, it definitely looks great. I’m hoping it shoots as well as it looks. I hope the mags atleast work. Or at the very least the tubes are ok, and i can rebuild them with new springs and baseplated to bring them up to 140mm. Is there Sti like +2 baseplates that will bring a 126mm to 140mm? I’d hate to have to buy 5 mags at 75-140 dollars each. 

No pics yet, I ordered it late last night, so I was hoping it would ship today. Haven’t gotten any shipping confirmation yet. But all guns ship via 2 day I think, so hopefully that means I get it by this weekend. 

Good luck with your Pantera, gun runs great out the box so, I think you will enjoy. I will say your best bet is to purchase a couple of tuned mags (your choice) or as others have recommended the Gen 2 STI mags. Will save you frustration so you can enjoy the 2011 platform. BTW, my Pantera had tons of shipping grease so first give it a good cleaning and lube. 

11 hours ago, CzViper said:

Man I'm excited for you! 2011's are gorgeous and really have a great feel to them. They feel like sports cars do when you get in one.
We are literally on the same path. Just started to reload for my DVC. I have thousands of Berry's 180 grain plated bullets too but my chrono broke during my move. I couldn't wait and used up the remaining loads (few hundred) with Win 231 I had for my CZ TS plus whatever 40 factory rounds I could find.
Since you are coming from Glock, yes you'll be able to tell the difference. You'll want to get some lower power recoil springs to match your load. I popped in an 11# recoil spring to use on my TS loads and VIOLA just like that......... you'll see!!!!!
I didn't have any issues with my short TS loads with OAL at 1.135 but everyone seems to load waaaay longer for their 2011's. Like I said, we are on the same boat. Just have to get a chrono and find new place that'll let me use one.

What kind of powder are you planning to use?

Hell ya man, I just got the confirmation that it shipped. I can’t wait. I gotta find a soft shooting load that makes major. I really gotta chrono the one load I have, 5.8g unique behind a 180g Berry’s. It’s snappy in my g23. I’ve used tons of unique in the past with 9mm, 380, 38/357, 45.  So knowing what I do about unique I bet I can drop that charge quite a bit and still be making major. I’ll hace to chrono it out of the pantera this weekend. The 3 powders I mostly use is unique, titegroup, and hs-6. If I hce to pick up something new for 40 I will. What do you suggest? Win231? 

IMO, the best powder for Limited major is Alliant e3.  Clean, consistent anf no temp sensibility.  My Limited load was 3.7gr e3, CCI 500, 180gr coated bullet for 172PF.  SDs were in the 4.8~6.9 range with various bullets.  My OAL was 1.126" because I also wanted to shoot it in a CZ TS.  Both of my 2011 40s feed this OAL.  If you need to load longer, you will need a touch more powder.

The 3 powders I mostly use is unique, titegroup, and hs-6. If I hce to pick up something new for 40 I will. What do you suggest? Win231? 

If you have Titegroup already, use it. Lots of info for 40 major.

From what I gathered N320, E3, Titegroup, and W231/HP38 are the go to for 40 major.

Definitely want to know your first impressions!!

21 minutes ago, CzViper said:

If you have Titegroup already, use it. Lots of info for 40 major.

From what I gathered N320, E3, Titegroup, and W231/HP38 are the go to for 40 major.

Definitely want to know your first impressions!!

I got the notification that it shipped this morning. So I should get it on Friday. I can’t wait. I got tons of ammo loaded. Probably gonna shoot a whole case on Saturday. 

As for powders, out of all my loads for 9mm tite group is definitely the softest shooting. I’ll have to try it in 40 and see if I can get something soft. I guess the 180g at 950 is about the lowest I am go and still make major. I’ll hace to chrono my unique load this weekend too. It’s snappy. And what I found with unique and 9mm, loading at the lowest charge in the book, which is 3.9-4g with a 147g bullet, i was close to major pf. I chronod it at 1050 fps. And that’s the starting point. And the recoil was high for a 147g with a low charge. So I dropped it slowly to 3.5, and it’s pretty soft now. Haven’t chrono yet but I’m assuming roughly 900fps. So assuming the same pattern, and 5.8 with a 180 being a middle of the road load in my book for 40. I’m probably way over major. But will see, I’ll chrono it this weekend. 

I thmk the question now is how long will it be before I’m buying a 2011 in 9 major and benching my g34. And I hope I’m able to go back and forth between my Glock and the 2011 without issue. 

Question for you guys. Do you like the 140mm mags that hold 20 rounds but don’t lock the slide back, or the 18rd they do lock it back? These things ars so expensive I don’t want to buy a few, find out later I should have bought the other kind and still need to buy 5 more to be competitive. I’d really like to slide to lock back. But I want to be competitive. 

Hey partner - just to provide more perspectives - I started USPSA with a G34 in 9mm in production.  Its a great platform to start with and many people (Shane Coley) can take the platform to the highest levels of performance.  That being said, I went to and prefer 1911/2011 platforms over Glocks.  The biggest things for me are the natural point of aim, the trigger, and the accuracy.  

Point of Aim - grip angle is obviously more extreme w a Glock - this is intentional based on how Glock wants your arms and wrists as the sights are lined up.  For me, the 1911 2011 grip angle is perfect and very natural.  

Trigger - pages and pages have been written on this - I have Glock production legal triggers well under 3lbs and with a pretty clean break for striker fired - it will never be as clean as a tuned 1911 break.  Weight isn't as big of a deal as break - I like my 1911/2011 trigger break around 2.25 lbs but clean.  The best striker fired trigger I have seen is an M&P - its very clean.

Accuracy - I can't speak to 40 but in 9, my G34s have been a little finicky with different loads an bullets.  Not to say all 1911/2011 are super accurate, but my Glocks didn't like heavier loads with faster powder, i.e. 2-3" groups at 20 yards from a rest.  I have tried different barrels and different loads and I have seen Glocks shoot 1" groups, but its just a little more particular with the ammo. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

3 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I got the notification that it shipped this morning. So I should get it on Friday. I can’t wait. I got tons of ammo loaded. Probably gonna shoot a whole case on Saturday. 

As for powders, out of all my loads for 9mm tite group is definitely the softest shooting. I’ll have to try it in 40 and see if I can get something soft. I guess the 180g at 950 is about the lowest I am go and still make major. I’ll hace to chrono my unique load this weekend too. It’s snappy. And what I found with unique and 9mm, loading at the lowest charge in the book, which is 3.9-4g with a 147g bullet, i was close to major pf. I chronod it at 1050 fps. And that’s the starting point. And the recoil was high for a 147g with a low charge. So I dropped it slowly to 3.5, and it’s pretty soft now. Haven’t chrono yet but I’m assuming roughly 900fps. So assuming the same pattern, and 5.8 with a 180 being a middle of the road load in my book for 40. I’m probably way over major. But will see, I’ll chrono it this weekend. 

I thmk the question now is how long will it be before I’m buying a 2011 in 9 major and benching my g34. And I hope I’m able to go back and forth between my Glock and the 2011 without issue. 

??

6 hours ago, rpm8300 said:

Hey partner - just to provide more perspectives - I started USPSA with a G34 in 9mm in production.  Its a great platform to start with and many people (Shane Coley) can take the platform to the highest levels of performance.  That being said, I went to and prefer 1911/2011 platforms over Glocks.  The biggest things for me are the natural point of aim, the trigger, and the accuracy.  

Point of Aim - grip angle is obviously more extreme w a Glock - this is intentional based on how Glock wants your arms and wrists as the sights are lined up.  For me, the 1911 2011 grip angle is perfect and very natural.  

Trigger - pages and pages have been written on this - I have Glock production legal triggers well under 3lbs and with a pretty clean break for striker fired - it will never be as clean as a tuned 1911 break.  Weight isn't as big of a deal as break - I like my 1911/2011 trigger break around 2.25 lbs but clean.  The best striker fired trigger I have seen is an M&P - its very clean.

Accuracy - I can't speak to 40 but in 9, my G34s have been a little finicky with different loads an bullets.  Not to say all 1911/2011 are super accurate, but my Glocks didn't like heavier loads with faster powder, i.e. 2-3" groups at 20 yards from a rest.  I have tried different barrels and different loads and I have seen Glocks shoot 1" groups, but its just a little more particular with the ammo. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

The glocks biggest problem is the trigger. And even with all the modification in the world it still sucks. The new M&Ps can be made really nice. I bought my wife a new sig p320 subcompact and we took it to the range today to try out. I shot a better group with that thing then with my 2000 dollar custom Glock. The trigger on the p320 was so nice for a stock trigger. Pre travel was a tad long, but smooth, really crisp break, minimal overt travel and short reset.  I can only imagine how good that trigger could be made with after market parts. I have a Johnny custom Glock trigger. And he built it exactly as i said I wanted it. It had zero pre travel, a defined wall like a 1911, no over travel, good reset. 2.5lbs, but it’s still a Glock. It’s about as good as it gets, I think I’m gonna have him build me a new one, this time with a rolling break. Although I’m starting to wonder if It’s really worth it to continue dumping money into it. This is the 2nd after market trigger, that’ll be 400 bucks for both if I get a new one. I’m on my 3rd barrel, 2nd after market, first a kkm, now threaded s3f with a carver comp. plus all the other little s#!t I’ve done, Magwell, slide rmr cuts, optic plus Dawson irons, base plates etc etc. I should probably just stop now,  and start saving for a 2011 open gun. 

My SPS arrived. I’m pissed, it actually got delivered to my FFL yesterday, and I was there picking up mg wife’s new p320sc beford going out to the range to try it out. So I could have shot it already.  It shipped yesterday morning Apparently from my FFL preferred distributors real close,, but they didn’t know it was mine. They saw it came from there distributor and thought it was one of theirs. But I got it now. 

Im really impressed, fit and finish is outstanding. The slide to frame fit is so friggen tight it’s unbelievable. The barrel lock up is also about as tight as it gets. I’m brand new with 2011s, so I don’t know what else to really look for. The slide/action is buttery smooth. Took me like 10 mins to figure out how to get the guiderod out. That’s a pain in the ass. Gonna be looking for a tooless one real soon. Sights look really nice. Who knows if the mags will function, will see. Gonna pick up some sti gen 2 mags soon. Seems like they only offer them with followers that lock the slide back, so you lose a few rounds. And the mbxs are way more money. SPS sells 140s that hold 20-21 for only 62 bucks, but I don’t know how reliable they’ll be. 

Anyone know know if they make baseplate kits to turn these 126s into 140s? I’d hate for these to go to waste. I can’t belive how much heavy this is compared to my Glock, even with the comp and everything. I’m sure it’ll handle the recoil of the 40 much better. 

Anyone know how to upload pics? It keeps saying mine are to big. 

2 minutes ago, Jfitz427 said:

My SPS arrived. I’m pissed, it actually got delivered to my FFL yesterday, and I was there picking up mg wife’s new p320sc beford going out to the range to try it out. So I could have shot it already.  It shipped yesterday morning Apparently from my FFL preferred distributors real close,, but they didn’t know it was mine. They saw it came from there distributor and thought it was one of theirs. But I got it now. 

Im really impressed, fit and finish is outstanding. The slide to frame fit is so friggen tight it’s unbelievable. The barrel lock up is also about as tight as it gets. I’m brand new with 2011s, so I don’t know what else to really look for. The slide/action is buttery smooth. Took me like 10 mins to figure out how to get the guiderod out. That’s a pain in the ass. Gonna be looking for a tooless one real soon. Sights look really nice. Who knows if the mags will function, will see. Gonna pick up some sti gen 2 mags soon. Seems like they only offer them with followers that lock the slide back, so you lose a few rounds. And the mbxs are way more money. SPS sells 140s that hold 20-21 for only 62 bucks, but I don’t know how reliable they’ll be. 

Anyone know know if they make baseplate kits to turn these 126s into 140s? I’d hate for these to go to waste. I can’t belive how much heavy this is compared to my Glock, even with the comp and everything. I’m sure it’ll handle the recoil of the 40 much better. 

Anyone know how to upload pics? It keeps saying mine are to big. 

Congrats dude!!  Glad your impressed so far. Can't wait until you shoot it. I can't help you with the stock mags but hopefully someone can chime in.