Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about a 2011/1911 from a Glock

Jfitz427

It's always a hard choice. Bouncing around to different plateforms instead of buy once cry once can be frustrating and expensive. I went to Glock, CZ, X5, now 2011 and will never look back as far as competition guns go. Having first hand experience with several plateforms is great, and you can really narrow it down to what you like. but like mentioned above, there's a down side.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Ya I think if I bought the pantera I’d change out all the Fire control parts. Try and over time swap all the MIM parts with better stuff. But if it shoots well I’ll probably leave it alone for a while. How many mags come with the pantera? I’m debating Bertram the pantera and a used 2011 with 3 mags, for about 200 more then the pantera. Used gun, but hopefully turned and running nice with 3 mags or new gun, and save some money. Hard choice.

Two mags came with mine. They are the 126mm. Can't tell you how they function because I've yet to use them.  Main reason I switched the MIM parts is because I'm a lefty and needed a wider right side thumb safety. 

8 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Handle a 2011 and a CZ TS. Whichever one feels better to you ergonomically, go with that....

I own neither - but that is what I'd do.

Most 2011s feel a bit "blocky" in my hands. CZ TS feels good to me, and shoots well. I'd be curious to try a TS Orange - but shops seem to be pretty short of those.

I came from similar situation. Started with M&P and added all the goodies. Shot it until the finish wore off and thought it was awesome. Then I got ahold of CZ's and I hadn't looked back since. Sold everything I had and only owned CZ pistols in every caliber. I would constantly shoot other pistols but nothing compared to any of my CZ's.

Then, recently, one day after years, I realized I've only shot 1911's in 45 and have never shot a 2011 or any other caliber in that platform. I went through the same scenario. Going back and forth from the more economical route with a Rock pro, Metro arms, used Para, or the like to the Pantera or Edge kind of stuff. After LOTS of reading and discussion of same question you have, I ended up with an STI DVC (in 40 S&W of course).

Long story short, I love CZ's! Always will and won't get rid of them. They won't ever collect dust unless I sprinkle some on there.

Buuuuuut I get it. I get the 2011 thing. The triggers are great and that grip angle! Parts and customization galore!! The STI is awesome and gorgeous! I don't have any issues at all with mine. It handles the 40 S&W very well.

To answer your question, So as long as you get one that runs, more so one with mags in the package, get the STI!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, perttime said:

I own neither - but that is what I'd do.

Most 2011s feel a bit "blocky" in my hands. CZ TS feels good to me, and shoots well. I'd be curious to try a TS Orange - but shops seem to be pretty short of those.

i also felt  the same at first, but i changed my 2011 handle and now it's  more comfortable for  me than  my cz tso

both guns tso and 2011 platform shoot well.  MIM PARTS i have only in cz. tso  but they hold a lot.

Two mags came with mine. They are the 126mm. Can't tell you how they function because I've yet to use them.  Main reason I switched the MIM parts is because I'm a lefty and needed a wider right side thumb safety. 

I can tell you that the factory mags that came with the Pantera did not function well at all. I changed out the guts and adjusted feed lips but was still not 100%. I only used the Gen 2 STI mags. They run 100% out of the box. No tuning needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, darmster said:

I’m a lefty as well. No chance of an ambi slide release on a 2011. That’s one thing glocks have that 2011s don’t. I’ll have to see how the safety works for me and if a new one is necessary. 

I’m a lefty as well. No chance of an ambi slide release on a 2011. That’s one thing glocks have that 2011s don’t. I’ll have to see how the safety works for me and if a new one is necessary. 
I'm pretty sure there is an adapter that a company sells that puts the mag catch on the right side of the grip. I can't remember what company off the top of my head.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

One of my shooting buddies uses a left-handed magazine release that works with standard magazine notches. I will find out who makes that part later today

2 hours ago, jchris4769 said:

I can tell you that the factory mags that came with the Pantera did not function well at all. I changed out the guts and adjusted feed lips but was still not 100%. I only used the Gen 2 STI mags. They run 100% out of the box. No tuning needed.

That's good to know.  Based on the build quality (thin metal), I figured they would be problems.  So I just use my gen 1 STI and MBX mags from my Edge.  I've been hearing good reviews about the gen 2 STI mags, may buy a couple to test out, I have a few grams kits laying around.

I think I'll comment on some of the things I've read here.  In 40sw I own one CZ TS and two 2011s.  One of the 2011s is full custom.  The other is semi-custom.  IMO, the better gun for Limited is the TS.  First and foremost, the slide and barrel is lower than on a 2011, so muzzle rise is less and the sights are back on target quicker.  Another advantage is they run right out of the box.  Change to a FO front sight and but base pads for the mags and you are done for $1500 (if you also bought a fourth mag and base pad).  You cannot say that about 2011s.

MIM parts.  I hate them, but there are good and bad MIM parts.  For example, my Sig Tacops 45 came from their custom shop.  After 40,000 rounds the hammer would occasionally drop to half cock as the slide closed.  I disassembled and had to recut the hammer hooks.  It turned out the hammer was a MIM part.  However, it was a good MIM part.

I build my own 1911s, and I'd never intentionally use a MIM part in them.  That being said, I'd not refuse to buy a gun I wanted just because it had some MIM internals.  SA Loaded and RO pistols all come with MIM internals, but good slides, frames and barrels.  I know 12 people who shot them a lot on a routine basis, and they have not yet had to replace any ineternals.  When they have to, it's an easy job.

Magazines:  you don't have to do a thing to CZ TS mags except add base pads to bring capacity up to 20.  Not so with most mags for a 2011.  I have 2011 mags from STI (stock) (Gen 1), Infinity (Gen 1) with TTI pads and guts, Infinity (Gen 1) with Grams guts and Dawson pads, and MBX mags (stock).  Here is what I know.  The only way to get STI mags to run reliably is to not drop them.  If you do, you'll be tuning feed lips ad nauseam.   They have the thinnest and softest feed lips.  I use them only for dry fire now.  Grams guts work better than STI guts in STI mags.

The Infinity mags hold up much better than the STI.  You have to tune them differently.  I bring them to matches, but only use them if I have to drop a mag in mud or dust.  Otherwise I use the MBX mags.  They just work.  I bought replacement springs and followers for them when I bought the mags.  So far, I haven't had to use them.  They have lasted three seasons of three USPSA matches a month Mar~Nov, and one match a month Dec~Feb.  They routinely get dropped on gravel or hardpack.   Every new mag I've bought since then has been MBX.  Yes, they cost more, but the reliability is worth it to me.

4 hours ago, jchris4769 said:

Hope mine work, or I can atleast get them working. I looked into the gen 2 Sti mags, 75 bucks. Better then some prices I’ve seen for Sti mags, but damn I could get 4 Glock mags for that price that will run 100% for years without any tuning or cleaning while taking tons of abuse. 

Does anyone makd extensions to turn the 126s into 140s? Then I’d only have to buy 3 more 140s If I could get the ones that come with the gun running. But 5 new 140s is 375 bucks. That’s a tough pill to swallow. 

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I think I'll comment on some of the things I've read here.  In 40sw I own one CZ TS and two 2011s.  One of the 2011s is full custom.  The other is semi-custom.  IMO, the better gun for Limited is the TS.  First and foremost, the slide and barrel is lower than on a 2011, so muzzle rise is less and the sights are back on target quicker.  Another advantage is they run right out of the box.  Change to a FO front sight and but base pads for the mags and you are done for $1500 (if you also bought a fourth mag and base pad).  You cannot say that about 2011s.

MIM parts.  I hate them, but there are good and bad MIM parts.  For example, my Sig Tacops 45 came from their custom shop.  After 40,000 rounds the hammer would occasionally drop to half cock as the slide closed.  I disassembled and had to recut the hammer hooks.  It turned out the hammer was a MIM part.  However, it was a good MIM part.

I build my own 1911s, and I'd never intentionally use a MIM part in them.  That being said, I'd not refuse to buy a gun I wanted just because it had some MIM internals.  SA Loaded and RO pistols all come with MIM internals, but good slides, frames and barrels.  I know 12 people who shot them a lot on a routine basis, and they have not yet had to replace any ineternals.  When they have to, it's an easy job.

Magazines:  you don't have to do a thing to CZ TS mags except add base pads to bring capacity up to 20.  Not so with most mags for a 2011.  I have 2011 mags from STI (stock) (Gen 1), Infinity (Gen 1) with TTI pads and guts, Infinity (Gen 1) with Grams guts and Dawson pads, and MBX mags (stock).  Here is what I know.  The only way to get STI mags to run reliably is to not drop them.  If you do, you'll be tuning feed lips ad nauseam.   They have the thinnest and softest feed lips.  I use them only for dry fire now.  Grams guts work better than STI guts in STI mags.

The Infinity mags hold up much better than the STI.  You have to tune them differently.  I bring them to matches, but only use them if I have to drop a mag in mud or dust.  Otherwise I use the MBX mags.  They just work.  I bought replacement springs and followers for them when I bought the mags.  So far, I haven't had to use them.  They have lasted three seasons of three USPSA matches a month Mar~Nov, and one match a month Dec~Feb.  They routinely get dropped on gravel or hardpack.   Every new mag I've bought since then has been MBX.  Yes, they cost more, but the reliability is worth it to me.

Wow, thanks for the great explanation. So MBX mags are the way to go? Man, those are expensive. I don’t want to be constantly tuning mags, hell I don’t even know how to tune a mag. I drop my glocks msgs over and over and over and they just keep running. Man, I’m starting to regret buying this 2011. Should just stick to my Glock. It’s not like it was holding me back at all. I just wanted a 2011. I’ve read basically all good reviews about the CZs, hell I don’t think I’ve ever read a bad review. 

So with rhe MBX mags I’ll  have no problem dropping them every weekend during training and matches? It’s only on grass, no indoor concrete. I need something that will hold up. I looked into the gen 2 Sti mags and 75 bucks is way more appealing. But if they’re delicate it’s worth paying extra to get the ones that will hold up for the long haul. 

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Wow, thanks for the great explanation. So MBX mags are the way to go? Man, those are expensive. I don’t want to be constantly tuning mags, hell I don’t even know how to tune a mag. I drop my glocks msgs over and over and over and they just keep running. Man, I’m starting to regret buying this 2011. Should just stick to my Glock. It’s not like it was holding me back at all. I just wanted a 2011. I’ve read basically all good reviews about the CZs, hell I don’t think I’ve ever read a bad review. 

So with rhe MBX mags I’ll  have no problem dropping them every weekend during training and matches? It’s only on grass, no indoor concrete. I need something that will hold up. I looked into the gen 2 Sti mags and 75 bucks is way more appealing. But if they’re delicate it’s worth paying extra to get the ones that will hold up for the long haul. 

The MBX mags work very well. But just to be clear, The Gen 2 STI mags work 100% out of the box. They hold up to being dropped on the ground without getting deformed. I know the first generation magazines had issues, but the generation two magazines are completely redesigned. You do not have to do anything to them for them to run. You can add a Taran tactical flat base pad or others like it and get extra capacity if necessary. And again, those bags are only $75 and would be an extra 30 or so if you decide to add a base pad. Which is still $30 less than an MBX. Don’t waste any money trying to get the factory Pantera mags to work if that’s what you ended up buying.

26 minutes ago, jchris4769 said:

The MBX mags work very well. But just to be clear, The Gen 2 STI mags work 100% out of the box. They hold up to being dropped on the ground without getting deformed. I know the first generation magazines had issues, but the generation two magazines are completely redesigned. You do not have to do anything to them for them to run. You can add a Taran tactical flat base pad or others like it and get extra capacity if necessary. And again, those bags are only $75 and would be an extra 30 or so if you decide to add a base pad. Which is still $30 less than an MBX. Don’t waste any money trying to get the factory Pantera mags to work if that’s what you ended up buying.

How many rounds (re-loadable) do you get in the gen 2 STI mags?

39 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If funds are tight, and you're doing very well with the G34, I'd seriously 

recommend staying with the Glock    :) 

For once funds are not tight. My wife and I flip houses on the side of our regular jobs and we just sold one, so I’m treating myself. I’m not abandoning glocks at all. I just ordered a new s3f barrel and a new carver comp for my 34. I shoot primarily 9mm, basically no 40 at the moment. So I’m going to continue shooting mostly 9mm with some added 40. I just started loading 40. So I’d say going forward I’ll shoot 75% 9mm, and 25% 40. Maybe bring  100-150 rounds of 40 to the range each trip and still bring 300-500 9mm. My Glock is an open gun. If somehow I shooting faster times with the 2011 limited gun then I am with 30rd 170mm mags in a 9 open gun, then I’ll switch to a 2011 open gun. But as long as I’m stoll faster with my Glock I’m sticking with it. My Glock is just utterly reliable, really fun to shoot,, easy to work on. Parts and mags are cheap. I’m sticking with them for a while longer. 

Once you pick up that 2011, and get it dialed in, you’ll forget than you even own a Glock unless is you daily carry or nightstand gun. But for comps... leave them were they belong.... AT HOME! ??? I’m kidding please no one get mad!

Edited by Nalle2491
Don’t want any arguing!