Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about a 2011/1911 from a Glock

Jfitz427

Hey guys, 

As the title says I’m thinking about trying a 2011 style gun. I currently shoot a g34 open gun. So I’m thinking about something in 40. What I’m looking at is either a SPS pantera, looks very comparable to an sti edge. Or the RIA armscor tac ultra pro match. I really like glocks and I’m going to continue shooting them. So this is kind of to test the waters with the other platform. So part of me thinks I should get the rock island cause it’s cheaper, and if I don’t like it It’s not a huge deal. But the other part of me thinks well if I do buy the rock and I like it I’m going to want to upgrade to something better so I might as well just buy the pantera so I’d spend less money in the long run. Then I think we’ll if I’m going to spend 1300-1400 on one of those I might as well hold out for a nice used edge. Which I assume most people will suggest anyways. Let’s put aside the edge for a minute and talk about the rock and the sps, and my specific situation of testing the waters. 

My other question is has anyone shot both at the same time? Or are they just to different and to do well one would need to commit to one or the other? Shooting the 2011 in limited and my Glock in open and range fun. I’ll probably end up going to a 2011 in 9 major in a year or so, or maybe longer. But I wanna keep shooting my Glock for a while. I guess I’m kinda scared I’m going to like it so much my glocks will start collecting dust. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep an eye on the classifieds for a used Para, they don't bring much anymore but can be great guns.  Or get an edge.  I know people who swap back and forth and within a couple of mags are good to go, others not so much, so it kinda depends on you

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

Keep an eye on the classifieds for a used Para, they don't bring much anymore but can be great guns.  Or get an edge.  I know people who swap back and forth and within a couple of mags are good to go, others not so much, so it kinda depends on you

Ya I’m kinda worried about not progressing with either, just staying mediocre with both since they’re so different. I probably should just save my money, but I’m itching to buy one. I’m thinking the Rock island, but it’s not even that cheap. 825 was the cheapest I saw, and the pantera around 1400. And if I go for the pantera I might as well just spend a few hundred more and buy an Sti.  I don’t know what to do. 

5 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Trust me  ….    they will     ?

Ya, that’s what I’m worried about. I like Glocks, I can do all the work on them myself. Got tons of spare parts, mags, holsters. I understand them very well and know what’s compatible with what. Where’s the 1911s I’m lost. I was looking at what I takes to do a trigger job, stoning the sear and hammer, and fitting safety’s and barrels. I’d have to have a smith do all the work. I like being able to work in my guns. 

If you're going to shoot Limited and Open, you're going to end up spending

$600+ for reloading equipment, and another $600+ for ammo a year, plus

entry fees and travelling costs - minimum of $2,500 / year (bare minimum).

I'd save up (matter of fact, that's exactly what I did) and buy the STI - get it

from Brazos - they do a nice job on them.     :) 

J, since you like Glocks, know how to work on them, and plan to continue shooting them, why not just buy a Glock in 40 for Limited?  A 2011 is going to be a LOT different and it will probably take your 3~4 days of dry firing when switching.  Otherwise you'll be playing find-the-dot/sights for the first couple/three stages.

Another thought, try CO.  It is scored minor, but the stage plan is Limited.  

I shoot both in 3 gun and got a hand built 2011 last year.  The 2011 runs good with fresh mags but now I am experiencing some stoppages and need to tune the mags.  Bottom line is the 1911/2011 platform is more accurate with better triggers and all that and they cost more.  Be prepared to figure out what the gun needs to run and do some tuning of mags, load, grip etc.  Glocks you just feed bullets mostly.

Good Morning Jfitz427 ! (Full disclosure: I am now a STI sponsored shooter, but this opinion is from prior to being affiliated with STI. That's why I wanted to shoot for them)  I have some experience in this matter. I too started shooting competition with a Glock 34. It served me well for the first year and a half or so. During that time I poured money into it with upgrades (trigger, springs, slide cuts, and so on) until there was nothing left to do to it ($1500 altogether). I then decided to move into a 1911 style platform and chose the "cheapest route" and bought a Rock Island. The only issue I had at first was getting used to the manual safety, but didn't take long. I started with it in factory configuration and it was much better than the Glock in regards to recoil, trigger and accuracy. But then of course I started upgrading parts. Trigger job, slide cuts, better sights, etc. Eventually I installed a gunsmith fit barrel, had the slide to frame fit tightened and hard chromed it. After that I decided I wanted a "real" 2011, so I bought a SPS Pantera. It was a much nicer pistol than the Rock Island, even after all of the work and money I put into it(around $2000 total). Tight fitting, smooth action, nice trigger, etc. Also it takes regular STI mags is cheper than putting mags together for the Rock Island.The Pantera was more reliable out of the box and even more accurate than the Rock Island without have to upgrade the barrel. I ran it well for the past year or so. I now shoot STI which is even nicer than the Pantera. The fit is tighter, better finishes (DLC or Hard Chrome depending on model) and are even more accurate out of the box. Mine have been 100% reliable with nothing changed on them from the factory and using the STI Gen 2 mags. And of course why not shoot the 2011 from the people that invented it! The initial cost difference between the models a bit to consider but after upgrading the cheaper options to perform on par with the better, not much difference.

Edited by jchris4769

Agreed. I started with a 226, went to a 34. Then to an eagle and custom open gun. I find it hard to go back to anything. It’s all about the 2011 platform. I have issues with mags sometimes. But from lots of drops, and being a cheap ass when it comes to the small s#!t like springs and whatnot for them. The 100$ ish it cost to get everything going tho is nothing compared to being at a major and trying to figure which mags will work, and dealing with the malfunctions associated with that. 

1 hour ago, 12glocks said:

Thanks I was going to tune the feed lips too.  Grams Engineering was my plan on the guts.

I use grams guts myself. Get them from Shooters Connection in bulk packs and change them yearly during the off season.

The other option would be buy a Glock 35 or that longslide 40cal (i can't remember which) and win nationals with it, that is what happened last year.  I know Coley had a fancy glock (is that even possible) but i dont think it could be much better than a plain glock, frame weight, magwell, sights, and a trigger.  But if you want a 2011, they are nice too

Just a thought.

Ever think about  a CZ...I also shot a 34 for two years wanted something new and was contemplating a STI but to be honest I have heard that their quality has been suffering and have seen it personally my self with a few not running well. With the cost of the mags alone, plus and all the other equipment you will need to replace..holster, mag carriers and such a lot of money to invest.  I ended up getting a SPO1 from the custom shop, (wanted a gun I can shoot IDPA and USPSA with)  and just my opinion I think the trigger is the next best thing to a 1911/2011 trigger from a "Stock" gun. MecGar mags are only $28.00 from midway and I haven't looked back since.  If you know someone with a Tactical in 40 give it a whirl. You can get everything you need and still be under 2 G's.

With that said and money is not an issue...buy what makes you happy!!!!

Handle a 2011 and a CZ TS. Whichever one feels better to you ergonomically, go with that. I went from a g35 to a cz ts, and my grip was able to stay pretty much the same, except for the grip angle. If you like the TS, you can always get a czechmate for open.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, jchris4769 said:

Good Morning Jfitz427 ! (Full disclosure: I am now a STI sponsored shooter, but this opinion is from prior to being affiliated with STI. That's why I wanted to shoot for them)  I have some experience in this matter. I too started shooting competition with a Glock 34. It served me well for the first year and a half or so. During that time I poured money into it with upgrades (trigger, springs, slide cuts, and so on) until there was nothing left to do to it ($1500 altogether). I then decided to move into a 1911 style platform and chose the "cheapest route" and bought a Rock Island. The only issue I had at first was getting used to the manual safety, but didn't take long. I started with it in factory configuration and it was much better than the Glock in regards to recoil, trigger and accuracy. But then of course I started upgrading parts. Trigger job, slide cuts, better sights, etc. Eventually I installed a gunsmith fit barrel, had the slide to frame fit tightened and hard chromed it. After that I decided I wanted a "real" 2011, so I bought a SPS Pantera. It was a much nicer pistol than the Rock Island, even after all of the work and money I put into it(around $2000 total). Tight fitting, smooth action, nice trigger, etc. Also it takes regular STI mags is cheper than putting mags together for the Rock Island.The Pantera was more reliable out of the box and even more accurate than the Rock Island without have to upgrade the barrel. I ran it well for the past year or so. I now shoot STI which is even nicer than the Pantera. The fit is tighter, better finishes (DLC or Hard Chrome depending on model) and are even more accurate out of the box. Mine have been 100% reliable with nothing changed on them from the factory and using the STI Gen 2 mags. And of course why not shoot the 2011 from the people that invented it! The initial cost difference between the models a bit to consider but after upgrading the cheaper options to perform on par with the better, not much difference.

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like you pretty much did exactly what I’ve been thinking. I think ill skip the rock island and go to the pantera. From everything I’ve read, and watched on YouTube they seem like a solid gun. And they seem to run right out of the box. What I don’t understand about the rock island is the 10mm is only $602, but the 40 is 875. If the 40 was $602 I’d probably buy that just to see if I liked the 1911 style platform. But if I’m going to spend almost a grand on a rock, I might as well spend 300 bucks more and get a pantera. But now I’m looking at a few used sti edge type guns for 1500. So the the question is used sti, or brand new sps? 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

The other option would be buy a Glock 35 or that longslide 40cal (i can't remember which) and win nationals with it, that is what happened last year.  I know Coley had a fancy glock (is that even possible) but i dont think it could be much better than a plain glock, frame weight, magwell, sights, and a trigger.  But if you want a 2011, they are nice too

I’ve thought about another Glock. So 600 bucks for the gun, 150-200 for  a barrel to shoot lead, 200 for a trigger, sights, magwell. I have a Glock 23, and it really doesn’t handle the 40 very well IMO. I’m sure a long slide would be better. But I think a metal gun would be even better. But ya another glock would be simple to get used it. And I can do all the work myself. Already have some mags for it. Tough decision. 

1 minute ago, Jfitz427 said:

I’ve thought about another Glock. So 600 bucks for the gun, 150-200 for  a barrel to shoot lead, 200 for a trigger, sights, magwell. I have a Glock 23, and it really doesn’t handle the 40 very well IMO. I’m sure a long slide would be better. But I think a metal gun would be even better. But ya another glock would be simple to get used it. And I can do all the work myself. Already have some mags for it. Tough decision. 

YMMV but I wouldn't buy a barrel.  Shot thousands of lead bullets out of a stock glock barrel and no issues.  But i aint trying to talk you out of a 2011 either

Have both an STI Edge and SPS Pantera in 40 S&W.  Out of the box the SPS had a very nice 2lb 9oz trigger, very tight barrel to slide lockup, tight slide to frame fit, deadly accurate and was very reliable using MBX mags.  Biggest downside is MIM ignition parts, MIM safeties and the finish wear kind of fast.  Also the grip has molded in magwell so it cant be switched to a different brand of choice.  Most parts easily swapped with my Edge although grips needed slight modification and replacement screws (SPS too big).  I have about 5000 rounds through the Pantera and it has been quite a shooter.  I've swapped ignition parts to Brazos kit and EGW safeties and I'll recommend this gun any day of the week.  As with most 2011 guns a fair amount of tuning and tuned magazines will save you tons of frustration! New SPS black/ hard chrome is about $1400 new edge (blued) is about $2000.  Hard to go wrong either way coming from a Glock.

56 minutes ago, RJH said:

YMMV but I wouldn't buy a barrel.  Shot thousands of lead bullets out of a stock glock barrel and no issues.  But i aint trying to talk you out of a 2011 either

I read the same thing from tons of people, shooting lead in Glock for years without issue. So I did it, and I didn’t have any issues for a while until one day when I had a kaboom. That sucked. I’m 99% sure I was running non coated cast lead. I think that’s why I had the problem. Prior to that when I was shooting lead without issue I was shooting coated lead. So I think the thick coated stuff like the blue bullets ars ok, they’re basicallg a polymer jacket, and maybe even the hi tek coated stuff is ok to. But I won’t try shooting bare lead again. And I clean my gun after every range session throughly, so it’s not like the barrel hadn’t been cleaned in a long time. The gun was ok, except the mag and mag release blew right out of the ghn. And my hand stung like a bitch for a while. So now I shoot plated in my g19 with the stock barrel, and I’ll lead in my g34 with the kkm.  

I think there are a lot of thoughtful replies on this thread and I would like to add something I neglected from my original post as another point of consideration.  I elected to get a hand fit gunsmith built gun but the production guns seem to run well also in the games I am around.  I don't feel like I have the experience to comment on the strengths and weaknesses of hand fit vs production but I believe hand fit guns are better.  There are some decent deals here on 2011's on enos also with regularity worth consideration.

1 hour ago, darmster said:

Have both an STI Edge and SPS Pantera in 40 S&W.  Out of the box the SPS had a very nice 2lb 9oz trigger, very tight barrel to slide lockup, tight slide to frame fit, deadly accurate and was very reliable using MBX mags.  Biggest downside is MIM ignition parts, MIM safeties and the finish wear kind of fast.  Also the grip has molded in magwell so it cant be switched to a different brand of choice.  Most parts easily swapped with my Edge although grips needed slight modification and replacement screws (SPS too big).  I have about 5000 rounds through the Pantera and it has been quite a shooter.  I've swapped ignition parts to Brazos kit and EGW safeties and I'll recommend this gun any day of the week.  As with most 2011 guns a fair amount of tuning and tuned magazines will save you tons of frustration! New SPS black/ hard chrome is about $1400 new edge (blued) is about $2000.  Hard to go wrong either way coming from a Glock.

Ya I think if I bought the pantera I’d change out all the Fire control parts. Try and over time swap all the MIM parts with better stuff. But if it shoots well I’ll probably leave it alone for a while. How many mags come with the pantera? I’m debating Bertram the pantera and a used 2011 with 3 mags, for about 200 more then the pantera. Used gun, but hopefully turned and running nice with 3 mags or new gun, and save some money. Hard choice.