Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bergara B14

KustomHolsters

I have one. The HMR in 6.5 Creedmore. Its a fantastic rifle, but I think its a little on the heavy side for a hunting rifle. My son just got a deal on an X-bolt Hells Canyon-Speed. Also in 6.5 CM. I can't wait for it to come in as that seems like an incredible hunting rifle that could also work long range.

Purchased a B14 HMR way back when they were first offered. Took 90 days to arrive but was well worth the wait. EXCELLENT choice as starter rifle for PRS,  just smacking steel at the range or a great choice as a hunting rifle. Highly recomment !!!

I have a B14 HMR with an Athlon Cronus APLR 4.5-29x56 scope and Silencerco Saker 762 ASR on it, and while it is 14.5lbs, it is a shooter. 

I am not an amazing shooter, but this is 5 rounds of handloaded 140 ELD-M over 41.5gr of H4350 and CCI BR2 primers loaded to 2.820" OAL.  The black dot is just under 1".

0923181754-585x1040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I carried my HMR they the Sandhills of west Nebraska this year. 5-8+ miles walked everyday of rough terrain. I’d rather carry a heavy rifle that I know can make that 600y shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a LRP for my self at Christmas time.  Fit and finish is above normal. The only problem I have is it does not shoot well. 2-3 MOA and sometimes fliers. Bergara says to only use  Hornady 140 gr Match ammo. This helped a little, but not what you would expect from a precision rifle. My gunshith check headspace and said it was tight as brass was imprinted on the bolt face every time the rifle was used. He checked for cartridge OAL and found .085 jump for the bullet. The bullet was a hornady 140gr. that I took apart to compare apples to apples. Also the trigger is a Timney 517 that came with the rifle. Bergara says that the trigger cannot be adjusted below 3 1/2 lb. because of there system. Timney says the same. I'm trying to get this resolved but to date no response from Bergara.

Did you email them or call? If you need something important like this, call and talk to a human. This will likely get things rolling in a positive direction for you. I needed something from them and called. It took a few tries but finally got a human on the phone and they helped me out.

On a side note with my HMR, I tried a bunch of different ammo to seek out what shot best. My HMR does not like bullets lighter than 140 gr. 1-1/2"  or there about with the light stuff. Not horrible but not what I expect from this rifle. 140 to 147 gr average well under MOA with most any I tried from Hornady. The big surprise of the day was the S&B Tactical 140gr at $12.00 a box that shot consistently under an 1". Managed several under 1/2". I went back and bought all they had of that stuff. 

On 2/6/2019 at 4:16 AM, edwardc said:

Brand new Steiner GS3 no Problem with the optic,mount, rings. I had a few of the Best shooters at my club give it a try with the same results. I am awaiting an reply from Bergara but it has been several days with nothing. 

I would still try a different optic if you have one just to rule it out. I have had several scopes fail right out of the box.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:42 PM, chicoredneck said:

I would still try a different optic if you have one just to rule it out. I have had several scopes fail right out of the box.

I would agree here. Check it with a different scope and rings. Scope bases come loose too. Scope, rings and base need to be 100%.

I would also buy one of every box of off-the-shelf ammo and try to find a winner. If it still shoots poorly, send it back.

I have a HMR in 6.5 CM also. Very pleased. Too heavy for me to do a lot of walking and hunting - would be great if not walking much.

I also had great results with the cheap S&B "Tactical" 140s - bought 500 rounds after trying a few boxes.

i have several friends that brings their HMRs out to shoot with us and I've been nothing but impressed with them, i think the smartest think bergara did with the rifle was keep the barrel somewhat small to reduce weight making it a manageable hunting gun if someone wants to use it for such.

It was not the optic, mount or rings. Talked with a  rep and sent the rifle back to them. He thinks it has something to do with the break. He told me that's why they do not install them anymore. and will not re install it if they have to change the barrel. Same with the scope mount. They are not installing them on new guns. So we will see what happens in 6 weeks. 

I am glad they are taking care of you. However. This sounds a little fishy to me. It sounds to me as though they are blaming the one part on the rifle that is not theirs. This is classic in almost any business. It may be the cause of the issue, but might be a way for them to save face.

I have never seen a brake cause a severe decrease in accuracy. It might change the group some, it might move the zero some, but opening a rifle up to 2"-3" groups as you described, I call BS.

What brake was it?

That being said, was it factory threaded? The crown and concentrically of the threads can be a huge deal. A loose brake could give you fits also. Brakes are easy to make; and make well. You could simply unscrew the brake this theory. I suspect something else is in-play. I run brakes on all my rifles. They don't effect accuracy. They could slightly change your load, but not accuracy. Generally people shoot better with them because they reduce recoil. 

On 2/18/2019 at 1:35 PM, Delfuego said:

I am glad they are taking care of you. However. This sounds a little fishy to me. It sounds to me as though they are blaming the one part on the rifle that is not theirs. This is classic in almost any business. It may be the cause of the issue, but might be a way for them to save face.

I have never seen a brake cause a severe decrease in accuracy. It might change the group some, it might move the zero some, but opening a rifle up to 2"-3" groups as you described, I call BS.

What brake was it?

That being said, was it factory threaded? The crown and concentrically of the threads can be a huge deal. A loose brake could give you fits also. Brakes are easy to make; and make well. You could simply unscrew the brake this theory. I suspect something else is in-play. I run brakes on all my rifles. They don't effect accuracy. They could slightly change your load, but not accuracy. Generally people shoot better with them because they reduce recoil. 

I completely agree with the above statement.  I'd imagine it's a threading issue more than it's a brake issue.  

I am glad they're working on it for you.  Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a buddy that has B14. Granted he is one of those guys that seem to be able to shoot anything well, but he makes it look really good! I personally prefer the trigger and action of my Tikka but the B14 is certainly no slouch.