Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting back into reloading 9mm

Salsantini

I've not loaded any 9mm for quite a few years.  I would like to start loading it again.  I am looking for a minor load using 147gr poly coated bullets.  I have some Ramshot competition, Clays and WST.  I've pretty much used the Ramshot competition for .40 major. the WST for .40 minor loads.  I've used the Clays for .45.  I have not heard of anyone using the Ramshot competition for 9mm.  And I've heard Clays is not good for 9mm..  The last time I loaded 9mm I used W231.  I am thinking of using the WST for the 9mm minor loads but don't see much data on this.  Just looking for some suggestions.  Any info would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, usmc90 said:

Before we answer anymore are you looking specifically for one of those powders to load with or are you asking for other options?  

I just named the three powders I have on hand.  I am not locked into any of these three.  Since it has been a while since loading 9mm I am looking for more up to date insight.

39 minutes ago, Salsantini said:

I have a few 9mm pistols I would be using these in. .  Glock 17,  PPQ,  M&P, CZ75B, and a 1911 9mm.  

Well for the Glock 17 3.1 of titegroup  and a 147 blue flat point at 1.125" has been a stellar load for me, also 3.3 grains of sport pistol has shown a great bit of promise. 

I have a few 9mm pistols I would be using these in. .  Glock 17,  PPQ,  M&P, CZ75B, and a 1911 9mm.  
Well for the 1911, my wife runs 147 Eggleston with 3.0gr of TG.
Which is about 136 PF.
She also runs a .357 sized bullet.
So you could drop down to 2.9 or 2.8.
But she like the feel of it at that power factor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, Salsantini said:

Why did you switch?  Is it a cleaner burning powder?   

Yes, it appears to be cleaner burning but isn't that the claim of most powders?  It is formulated to be used with powder coated/polymer coated bullets.  Some other powders may dissolve or melt the coatings.  I had a leading problem in my Lone Wolfe barreled Glock.  I thought the problem may have been related to Titegroup dissolving the bullet coating but I it was more of a self induced reloading issue (not belling the case mouth adequately causing the coating to be scraped off as the bullet was seated.)

the gold standard (IMO) is N320

231 / HP-38 are good choices

if you use TG, just be aware that it does smoke more on poly coated bullets.  most of the time it doesn't matter as long as you are outdoors, a little breeze helps too.

recommendations are to stay away from WST and Clays for heavy weight 9mm, the pressure spikes when you start getting over 3 grains.

46 minutes ago, Butterpuc said:

the gold standard (IMO) is N320

231 / HP-38 are good choices

if you use TG, just be aware that it does smoke more on poly coated bullets.  most of the time it doesn't matter as long as you are outdoors, a little breeze helps too.

recommendations are to stay away from WST and Clays for heavy weight 9mm, the pressure spikes when you start getting over 3 grains.

I have heard this about Clays, But not about WST.  Good to know.  What is you N320 9mm load?

10 hours ago, Salsantini said:

I have heard this about Clays, But not about WST.  Good to know.  What is you N320 9mm load?

Typical coated bullet 147gr profile

1.135” 3.15gr N320 129PF

1.135” 3.10gr N320 127PF

I had it dialed in to a 2SD using a 10 shot test.  haven’t checked it that closely in years now.  So I run a little hotter than before. ? 

Edited by Butterpuc