Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best silicone carbide application video?

Babayaga

Any recommendations on a good tutorial video on how to apply silicone carbide to a grip?

And is all silicone carbide equal?  I see a whole slew of uses and prices on the web. Is 60 grit the same no matter where you get it?

thanks,

john

• 1 month later...

I can't think of any videos, but 60 grit SiC should be the same from any vendor.

Most people seem to use a medium cure rate two-part epoxy(I believe I used "Bob Smith mid-cure epoxy" from Amazon).
As with any coating, surface preparation is the key, and the amount of preparation needed varies.

With my "Ready-Mod" Polymer80 frame, I didn't rough up the surface enough, causing a tiny amount of flaking around one of the edges, but if I had stippled it first or sanded it more roughly, I'm sure that wouldn't have happened.

The worst thing about epoxy is how hard it is to get it off of places you don't want it, so be sure to tape off any parts of the frame where you don't want grit or glue.

I use ordinary black slow cure JB weld and this for grit:

Fundamental Rockhound Products: 2...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JTJG3GI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

It’s about the same grit you get with Talon sandpaper grips, just much more durable. I remove the factory texture from everything I’ve masked off for maximum adhesion and to prevent the gun from getting 1/8” thicker due to width of epoxy and grit. 

Peel the masking tape off as soon as the epoxy is thick enough to not run. Don’t wait until after it fully cures!

Winds up looking like this:

(Tap the photo below to open the page then swipe to the third image.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I made a dedicated SC application vid.

So a lot of the videos online are not so clear. I tried to make it as visual as possible. I also included which supplies I used and where I got them from! All in all, it came out to 26 dollars...and ive done it to 3 pistols so far (after handling my buddies, I became a believer). There is a ton of leftover left from the 2lb pack that will enable you to do more if you wish. 

If you have a youtube, please like, subscribe, and share it. Im making videos more catered to uspsa shooting. More specifically, videos that I wish I came across when learning techniques, gun mods, and other things that wouldve saved me monies and time! Theres a bunch of tutorials out there, so Im going with what has not been made yet.

Thank you