Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please sign up to be an organ donor

Please consider signing up to be an organ donor, and communicating that wish to your family members.

After 6+ years on dialysis, I got "the call" Friday afternoon.    They started cutting at Midnight on 9/8, and by 5:30AM I had a new kidney from a 24 year old woman whose family saw fit to allow donation.    For someone of my age (60) to get an organ that young is called hitting the jackpot.  Two doctors advised me to buy a lottery ticket on the way in for surgery.

Rob,

I hope your recovery goes well and quickly! I checked the donor box a long time ago. I have been the benefactor of donations for my neck surgery and bone grafts for dental implants. Not anywhere near as serious as yours but I do understand a bit of what you are feeling. That said, at 67, I am thinking that any of my donations will wind up as class teaching aids (or perhaps lab pranks ?). Nobody want's high mileage parts...

Best wishes,

Chuck

Good for you, I've had the organ donor endorsement on my license since the mid '80's, kinda wonder if my old organs would be of any use anymore, but I guess old ones are better than ones that don't work. Wonders of modern medicine, I'm a cancer survivor and just had a quad bypass this last March.

7 hours ago, Rob Boudrie said:

Please consider signing up to be an organ donor, and communicating that wish to your family members.

After 6+ years on dialysis, I got "the call" Friday afternoon.    They started cutting at Midnight on 9/8, and by 5:30AM I had a new kidney from a 24 year old woman whose family saw fit to allow donation.    For someone of my age (60) to get an organ that young is called hitting the jackpot.  Two doctors advised me to buy a lottery ticket on the way in for surgery.

Congratulations on your new kidney.  You already won the lottery!