Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Points Down?

Smitty79

I recently started shooting IDPA and I'm trying to figure out how good, of a sight picture, is good enough.   Shooting the 5X5 classifier, how many points down to people typically shoot at master and expert for BUG?   I can shoot Master time.  But I do it with double digit points down which puts me in Sharpshooter.

I'd be interested in what people think of points down on the long Classifier also.   That one is punishing with my almost stock Shield.

I don't know about the Classifiers, but it has been said that 10% of your score as points down was a good compromise.  More accurate was probably slow, faster was probably wild. 

Top shooter at the Nationals was 285 net, 20 points down, one hit on nonthreat.  8.8% PD + Penalty. 

A lot of people can shoot fast!  The idea is to shoot fast and hit where you are aiming.  So you need a good sight picture.  The classifier is meant to test your ability and skill level.  Who cares what classification you have?  Shoot, have fun and get better with time and practice.

With the new rule of one second added per point down I've found you literally can't shoot fast enough to drop points. 

In a classifier or otherwise. 

One second is a TON of time, it's very punative, and by virtue of that I have needed to learn to get my points no matter what and improve speed only to the level that I can still get those points. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I like how the new rule has forced me at least to change my discipline when shooting a match. That's been a cool learning experience and I personally think I'm a better shooter for it.

J

In a match I strive for less than 10% of my score to come from points down or penalties.  If my total score for the match was 123 and I had 11 points down then I was right where I wanted to be. Here is a recent match where I won SSP and was Most Accurate and within about 1 sec per stage on average of a DM. Just for you to see what people are doing.

https://practiscore.com/results/new/65556

Because the 5x5 has such a low number of rounds fired, any point down hurts extra extra bad.