Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar9 bolt weight removal

My bolt weight came loose at a match today. Turned my gun to a single shot for the last 2 stadges (steel challenge).

What are the pros and cons for running without the weight in the bolt?

How did your weight come loose? Isn’t it held in place With a roll pin that runs perpendicular to the bore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all feel. Obviously a lighter bolt and buffer means less reciprocating mass.

The con is that too light and you can create a dangerous situation. The AR9 has no locking mechanism to keep the bolt closed during ignition. It needs weight and spring tension.

I'm at 17oz. Combined buffer/bcg weight. No issues. Nice and soft.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have the Taccom3 buffer system and tried it with and without the BCG weight.

Much softer and smoother with the weight out, but as stated above it is a relationship between your BCG, the buffer system and your ammo.

Only you can answer your question ..................................................... 

43 minutes ago, Shootymacshootface said:

Thanks guys, right now im shooting 115gr berrys w/ 4.3gr of Unique. It's a bunny fart. I'll try it tomorrow without the weight. If there are any feeding problems i will remove a spacer to restore the bolt hold open and try it that way. I think i still have about 18oz of bolt and buffer.

with an 8oz. buffer you should be ok

7 hours ago, Shootymacshootface said:

Yup, it sheared. My set up is an A2 stock with an 8oz carbine buffer, a 223 carbine spring, some delrin spacers with wave springs. I have it set up to short stroke. It shoots like my 10/22.

The Roll pin sheared?  In my Taccom, the roll pin is pretty thick.  

I tried mine with and without the weight.  I like the weight in.  I'm running the Taccom 3 stage with the short stroke kit and 124gr handloads.

Well, i shot it without the weight today. It had more recoil and i kept getting fte's, probably 3 or 4 per 30 round mag. Im going to put the weight back in with locktight on the body and retest. Also, i will be working up a new load probably with tightgroup powder.

Here is what i have on hand one pound or more.

Tightgroup

Hp38

700x

American select

Wsf

Wsl

Wst

I think tightgroup is the way to go only because it is very popular and easy to find. Ill be sticking with a 115gr plated bullet. 

Here is my buffer set up. It was working great untill i shot a match with it. I think that i need to just put the weight back in and retest. 

1536980188775.jpg

same happened to me when I ran my taccom extreme bolt with the weight removed.

you can either:
- add mass from the bolt to the buffer
- lighten the buffer spring
- retune your load to the new lighter reciprocating mass

there's always the option of going with a heavy bolt that doesn't have a weight
i.e. JP Bolt

I also have the Taccom3 buffer and tried the bolt both ways, it was much softer without the weight. I never had even one failure to do anything that I thought was causd by the weight being out of the bolt. All the problems I have had, and they have been very few and far between are mag related.

Now..................my experience with Titegroup has been it is very snappy. Take that for what it's worth but I am guessing you know what I mean ?

115gr plated bullets from Xtreme.................... 3.0gr Clays

3.5gr Universal

4.2gr Power Pistol

4.8gr IMR 4756

All achieved decent minor PF velocity with soft or hardly any recoil. Granted, that is my barrel, my gun, my chronograph. You should always verify for yourself but these are all powders I had that I tried and they all worked.

4 hours ago, Shootymacshootface said:

I think tightgroup is the way to go only because it is very popular and easy to find

Edited by SJMPCC022

I just weighed everything and it comes out to 18.1oz. The weight that was in the bolt was just over 2oz and i can get that back easily by making a new head for the buffer instead of the delrin part i have there now. I like having the rifle length butt because there is plenty of room to try different things. 

I also found a couple of pounds of Clays powder that i can try. I guess that i will load a little of everything to start out with to see what powder seems bestand go from there.

Once i find a load I'm happy with and works the gun I'll play with different springs.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Shootymacshootface said:

I will definitely take a vid of the bolt closing to check for a bounce.

Thanks!

I think he may be referring to the bolt bouncing off the spacers at the rear of travel.  I had that and with my original setup, and it manifested with noticeable up and right dot movement.

Edited by JAFO

15374012618941695c51fb6fab0763bd7b39fd2cb3a9236bc7b1b0c7502c6b236020b111041bb706d5546f88933ccbabd555d16a59a82ad92aba92f9027ff429a8913f8b230ad.thumb.jpg.c50e9d99c98800400c14b6829cb50c53.jpgI finally had some time to make a new head for my buffer. It weighs 4.2oz. The weight that was in my bolt was 2oz. Total bolt/buffer weight now is 21.9oz. I also re-enabled my lrbho, which i missed. 

I think the too light bolt was closing faster than the brass could get out of the way.

There are (3) 25lb wave springs in my tube between 2 delrin spacers and the buffer head. I really think the spring under the buffer head will act as a cushion for everything behind it. The wave springs all sit on a shoulder so they don't get crushed and i can remove them without changing buffer spacing. 

Can't wait to test it!

Thanks everyone. 

Well, i shot it without the weight today. It had more recoil and i kept getting fte's, probably 3 or 4 per 30 round mag. Im going to put the weight back in with locktight on the body and retest. Also, i will be working up a new load probably with tightgroup powder.
Here is what i have on hand one pound or more.
Tightgroup
Hp38
700x
American select
Wsf
Wsl
Wst
I think tightgroup is the way to go only because it is very popular and easy to find. Ill be sticking with a 115gr plated bullet. 
Here is my buffer set up. It was working great untill i shot a match with it. I think that i need to just put the weight back in and retest. 

1536980188775.jpg.56bf2655ae82d7ecb7a24b5e2a6e3e53.jpg

Judging from the photo I’d say you had FTE’s because your rifle is way over sprung for your bolt weight. I’m sure if you took out two of those spacers the problem would be gone.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:33 PM, 1911luvr said:

Judging from the photo I’d say you had FTE’s because your rifle is way over sprung for your bolt weight. I’m sure if you took out two of those spacers the problem would be gone.

I have the weight out of my bcg and it is MUCH better than with it in! ( Taccom3 buffer system)

A FTE happens for one reason, the bolt didn't go far enough rearward to spit the case out. Now , two things could cause this............ over sprung buffer or underpowered ammo.( if it stuck in the chamber, quit reloading and buy factory ammo !)

This whole deal sure is a puzzle with moving parts, isn't it ?

Fun as hell, but very frustrating !

11 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I have the weight out of my bcg and it is MUCH better than with it in! ( Taccom3 buffer system)

A FTE happens for one reason, the bolt didn't go far enough rearward to spit the case out. Now , two things could cause this............ over sprung buffer or underpowered ammo.( if it stuck in the chamber, quit reloading and buy factory ammo !)

This whole deal sure is a puzzle with moving parts, isn't it ?

Fun as hell, but very frustrating !

Meh, i dont give up easy?. I kinda like experimenting. I got the gun to work with the heavy buffer head, but not with the wave spring under it. Im still not happy with the recoil now. It was awesome with the weight in the bolt, the delrin buffer head, and the 3 wave springs. Before i go back to that set up, i may go back to this buffer i made for a rifle length spring and tube.

1536980199308c1d774582dc2d21070fb43dc350a3cc594955b3fa95aab2244a3630469f3d760788206b2f4732c5805fac67a15bb2bb3603ae43c59497b4c37ed564220b29186.thumb.jpg.67043ac85f98a6901f3951c485c6e121.jpg