Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket mag release

Does anyone use an aftermarket mag release ? I noticed I have a lot of up and down play on the Glock mags. I took the mag release out and it is plastic and a bit worn. Odin Gunworks kept popping up, it is aluminum. Does this release eliminate some of the up and down play ?

Thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks !

I'm thinking I will order one right now, the plastic one seems quite sloppy.

I was trying out my dreaded Glock big stick with the TF +10 base pad again today. I wasn't shooting, just cycling rounds through the gun in the basement. A few stuck straight into the barrel extension, on the bottom side.( If I get my home made feed ramp figured out, this may be a moot point ) The first two I dumped out. On the third one, I took the gun under the big light and actually looked in there. When I saw what was going on, I hit the mag on the bottom, pushing it up a bit and the round chambered !

I had no idea there was that much up and down play in a magazine,. never tried it before. 

Maybe this will eliminate some of the play in the mag, and at the same time make the feeding process all the more reliable ?

4 hours ago, stick said:

Glock mags or something else?

For some strange reason my USPSA PCC will not feed 33 round glock mags.  They have a lot of play in them.  I switched to ETS mags and the play and loading issues are gone.

My Glock big stick with the TF+10 basepad has been hinky from the beginning, but the rest were all fine. Last match I had an issue with the one that has the MBX mini on it. It had been 100% up until that stage. I peeled about 10 rounds out of it at " make ready" and loaded them into the ETS I had on my belt. I finished the rest of the match with the ETS mags and no issue. Not sure what is up with the Glock mags ?

39 minutes ago, SJMPCC022 said:

My Glock big stick with the TF+10 basepad has been hinky from the beginning, but the rest were all fine. Last match I had an issue with the one that has the MBX mini on it. It had been 100% up until that stage. I peeled about 10 rounds out of it at " make ready" and loaded them into the ETS I had on my belt. I finished the rest of the match with the ETS mags and no issue. Not sure what is up with the Glock mags ?

I'm not either.  It runs fine with the 17 round glock mags.  The manufacturer is baffled also.  I quit trying to figure it out and I went with ETS mags.  My big stick is an ETS with an MBX mini on it.  My backup/reload mag is a regular 29 round ETS.  I haven't had any issues since switching.

Just an FYI,  I have the Odin mag relaease, and I also have the old gen1 KNS anti-walk pins in the lower.  Those two items do not play well together!!!!  The mag will insert, but the pins are too wide on the outside, and the extension will not allow the button to be pushed in far enough to real ease the mag.  Not sure how other generations of pins work.

8 hours ago, sasquatch981 said:

Just an FYI,  I have the Odin mag relaease, and I also have the old gen1 KNS anti-walk pins in the lower.  Those two items do not play well together!!!!  The mag will insert, but the pins are too wide on the outside, and the extension will not allow the button to be pushed in far enough to real ease the mag.  Not sure how other generations of pins work.

The Odin website says their release works with the KNS pins, maybe it doesn't?

I made my own pins that have a simple button head SS screw threaded into each end. Damn near flush and will never get in the way of anything.

My bigger concern was hoping the Odin release has a bigger end that fits into the slot on the mags so they have less room to move up and down ? The plastic one that came in the lower has a lot of room for the mag to move.

The mag release is just an external button and has almost nothing to do with magazine fit unless the mag catch spring is dead or the mag catch is too far out.  The magazine catch is what holds the magazine in place.  You can screw in your mag catch a couple more revolutions and see if the tighter fit helps with your loose mag fit.  See the how to link here:  LINK

I've been running ODIN mag release for years, and I still run the original PSA mag catches.  But I'm one of those weirdo Colt guys.

5 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

The mag release is just an external button and has almost nothing to do with magazine fit unless the mag catch spring is dead or the mag catch is too far out.  The magazine catch is what holds the magazine in place.  You can screw in your mag catch a couple more revolutions and see if the tighter fit helps with your loose mag fit.  See the how to link here:  LINK

I've been running ODIN mag release for years, and I still run the original PSA mag catches.  But I'm one of those weirdo Colt guys.

Which shows, b/c on the Glock mag lowers, it's all one piece. 

To the OP, I got an Odin and I can tell you the leverage you obtain over the stocker is MASSIVE, which is a nice benefit. Mag play seemed to be about the same, but that was vs. a brand new plastic one. 

Since I'll be a running a guard setup, I had to remove the ejector, so I'm relying on the Odin as my insertion-stop. I sure hope it's up to the job. 

6 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

To the OP, I got an Odin and I can tell you the leverage you obtain over the stocker is MASSIVE, which is a nice benefit. Mag play seemed to be about the same, but that was vs. a brand new plastic one. 

I was hoping someone would say something like that ! The Odin shipped today, so I should know by Thursday .

12 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

I'm thinking you found the wrong thread ? This 9mm deal is one piece, all from the right side of the receiver, no adjustment possible.

It doesn't go through the lower receiver like the mag release/catch does on a .223 lower, this one grabs the mag on the right side, not the left.( as you are looking down on the gun )

8 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

I was hoping someone would say something like that ! The Odin shipped today, so I should know by Thursday .

I'm thinking you found the wrong thread ? This 9mm deal is one piece, all from the right side of the receiver, no adjustment possible.

It doesn't go through the lower receiver like the mag release/catch does on a .223 lower, this one grabs the mag on the right side, not the left.( as you are looking down on the gun )

The Jones Arms Kronos works just like a standard AR and uses a mild spec button.

And that's the biggest problem with AR 9 stuff, there is no standard.

How many brands use that style mag release?

1 hour ago, scooterj said:

The Odin release fits the New Frontier style lowers, according to their site. 

They have 2 models of their release, one fits the NFA lower, the other the QC10 style. I was reerring to the NFA lowers, not familiar with QC10,other than many here like them .

By the pic on the Odin website they look the same. Neither one looks like a traditional AR mag release. 

Edited by SJMPCC022
Content

I installed an Odin on one of my QC10 Glock lowers. It did tighten up the mag a bit, not that I ever had an issue(malfunction) caused by the original set up. I did however have to stiffen up the mag release spring by adding a black neoprene insert. The slightest touch/bump while moving would cause a mag drop due to the increased leverage the Odin provides. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Scott said:

I installed an Odin on one of my QC10 Glock lowers. It did tighten up the mag a bit, not that I ever had an issue(malfunction) caused by the original set up. I did however have to stiffen up the mag release spring by adding a black neoprene insert. The slightest touch/bump while moving would cause a mag drop due to the increased leverage the Odin provides. 

Were you having trouble reaching the standard QC10 mag release?

I'm not having any trouble with the standard QC10 mag release, but I wouldn't mind tightening up the magazine...  When I extend my trigger finger with my standard grip, my knuckle is right on top of the "(10" symbol on the QC10 mag release...  Seems like an even longer mag release lever would make me pull my finger back even further.

4 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Were you having trouble reaching the standard QC10 mag release?

I'm not having any trouble with the standard QC10 mag release, but I wouldn't mind tightening up the magazine...  When I extend my trigger finger with my standard grip, my knuckle is right on top of the "(10" symbol on the QC10 mag release...  Seems like an even longer mag release lever would make me pull my finger back even further.

Wouldn't say I was having trouble, did have to shift my grip a bit though. The Odin did put the release in a better location for me with my gun/grip/hand combo. 

I'd say the idea is that you can mash your whole extended finger against the release since you now have extra leverage as opposed to having to curl/stiffen your finger and hit a specific button. Same idea w/ the Odin on my colt-style lower. You CAN use it as a larger 'button' but the extra leverage allows for enough margin of error to just mash the thing. 

fine vs. finer motor skill

That said, tightening up the mag is a double-edged sword. Your 'sweet spot' for locking in a mag during a reload is going to be smaller, along with ease of insertion of a loaded mag. Just something to think about. 

• 2 weeks later...

Odin works fit my PSA lower with no modifications required...Best $28 I could have spent espically after the plastic one that came on my PSA lower quit consistantly holding my Glock factory mags after about 1500 rounds using OEM 17 rd mags...The locking end that goes into the magwell looked like it had been chewed on by one of my dogs. Knarled up...Took all of 3 minutes to install the Odin unit.....Mark

2 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Odin works fit my PSA lower with no modifications required...Best $28 I could have spent espically after the plastic one that came on my PSA lower quit consistantly holding my Glock factory mags after about 1500 rounds using OEM 17 rd mags...The locking end that goes into the magwell looked like it had been chewed on by one of my dogs. Knarled up...Took all of 3 minutes to install the Odin unit.....Mark

Yep, same story here. The plastic one (NFA lower) wasn't holding the Glock mags. Odin is the way to go !