Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Own a Hornady LNL progressive, how good is a 650?

SweetToof

@SweetToof Federals, as near as I can determine, are often just slightly out of round. Oval shaped.

They’re so soft that they feed and seat in all presses without any problem, but they hang up in the discharge hole of the vibraprime’s tray. Occasionally a winchester will snag and you have to clear it out. Maybe 1 every couple sleeves.

With federals, they hang up every few primers.

CCI and S&B and Magtech run through it like water. I can load ten primer tubes in less than 5 minutes.

Everyone who has a vibraprime should polish the hole the primers drop through, and drill a small hole in the cover for the tray just above where they drop into the primer tube. That way when one does decide to bind up diagonally, you can stick a small allen key or the like into the hole and gently flick it into position to drop squarely into the primer tube.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

From my experience, the VibraPrime unit works well with CCI and S&B primers; less so with Winchesters.  Those are the only brands that I've used to date.  Once I understood that Winny's were not an option, I've been using the S&Bs with fantastic success (i.e. no reoccurring issues)  for the last 20K rounds.

+1 on S&b primers, I’ve never had an issue in 35-40k of them. The wins are frustrating in the Frankfort auto feeder but a slight reaming of the tray helps make them feed better. Others will disagree but, the s&b primers are as good as any or better in my book and especially for $23/1000

I’m curious if they run well with light striker springs so anyone with experience pleased chime in, but even thought the feel harder seating them, I think they are actually pretty soft from an ignition standpoint. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on S&b primers, I’ve never had an issue in 35-40k of them. The wins are frustrating in the Frankfort auto feeder but a slight reaming of the tray helps make them feed better. Others will disagree but, the s&b primers are as good as any or better in my book and especially for $23/1000

I’m curious if they run well with light striker springs so anyone with experience pleased chime in, but even thought the feel harder seating them, I think they are actually pretty soft from an ignition standpoint. Thanks

2 hours ago, drewbeck said:

Are you able to pick up the S&Bs at $23/1000 any more?  I haven't found them at this price for quite some time....maybe 8-10 months.

It’s been a few months since I’ve bought them but they seem to regularly be on special at Cabelas. That’s where I’ve always found the best price on SB’s.

I buy a bunch when I see them on special whether I need them or not

On 10/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, SweetToof said:

So here she is :)

IPlcXcP2r_Ct6mRbPDw1juh2mJGMCe_QWdj0lm-f

Bought it with the 223 configuration since I already own 9mm and 45 dies. So I had to dismantle it enough to change calibers to 9mm, since I have about 3300 9mm bullets and don't have all my 223 components yet. 

So first thoughts are;

Easier to setup than the LNL, but this is not my first press so that's definitely a factor. They also pretty much assemble the whole thing for you with whatever caliber you purchased, which is an awesome service to have.

I changed from .223 to 9mm once mounted, so I had to change out everything on it except the primer system. Since I've already set up dies before this just took familiarizing my self with the parts and names for those parts, since they make it pretty obvious as to what components you need to change over calibers.

I did buy the appropriate caliber conversion kits in 9 and 45, but not an extra toolhead. After pulling the toolhead to do that caliber change, I don't foresee myself purchasing another tool head any time soon. The dies them selves are the easy part to change over IMO, and I mark them anyway to get an approximate setting that just needs to be checked and confirmed once assembled. You still have to pull the toolhead to change the shellplates and then still change the powder measure, change the cassfeeder parts, change the primer system out, so I think an extra toolhead my improve the caliber changes times by 20 minutes at most, however long it takes you to set up your dies. Pre-marking them, I bet I could set up the dies for pistols in under 10 minutes.

My other thought on changing calibers is do just not do it more than absolutely necessary. Basically I am going to load all the rounds I can of each caliber once its set up. I'll load all my 9mm, then all my 45, then set up for .223 and develop those loads. After which I'll load all them to. The 1050 makes it quick enough that I can load 10k 9mm for my whole year of shooting, in a week. 

Operating the press itself, what difference. I have seen the light, and it is Blue.

My first 500 9mm were done in 25 minutes, I have 4 primer tubes and I can immediately see the need for more. Would be awesome if there was a cheap way to automate filling these things. ?

I am glad I went right for the 1050, and my buddy is taking the LNL off my hands so I am pretty happy with my purchase. 

Good for you, very good decision.  It is hard based on the money, but once you do... you think to yourself... why did I wait so long!!!

23 hours ago, Butterpuc said:

Good for you, very good decision.  It is hard based on the money, but once you do... you think to yourself... why did I wait so long!!!

oooh yeah.

This thread started as, "How good is a 650?" and ended with, "just bought a 1050." 

Glad to have resources like this and to speak with shooters IRL that helped me pick the 1050. Very happy

2 hours ago, Laxman2809 said:

How does this work with different fill tubes? I have Dillon and Hornady at play.

I use it with a Dillon 650.  No idea how Hornady primers are introduced.  If it's a similar design, should be OK. 

To load a 650, you use the VP to load the mag tube, remove the mag tube from the VP unit (1/2 turn twist) and line up the bottom (where the cotter key is) of the VP tube with the 650 primer tube and lastly remove the cotter key.