Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Posts

So I’ve had about 7k flawless trouble free rounds of 40 out of my 650 with Dillon dies. 

 

Now that I need to ramp up production for some level II’s and stock up for winter, it’s flaking out on me on station 1...

 

1) It is dropping two cases almost every time. One makes it into shell plate and a second case is sitting (leaning really) right side up on top of it. 

 

2) About 20% are getting caught on lip of the resizing die. I’ve crunched a few....am able to reach around and pull it snug toward center of shell plate and re-insert. The strange thing it it seems to be snug when placed into position, so it apparently shimmy’s out a few mm on way up. Tighten shell plate? 

 

Tried search function already. I’m still a rookie reloader so I hesitate to start adjusting a bunch of things. 

 

Help on on one or both issues is greatly appreciated!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's Friday....still time to call Dillon.  You might even be able to get any parts needed delivered by USPS on Saturday depending on location relative to AZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, now that I read your description more, it sounds a little like what I had experienced with my first 650.  It ended up being the main bolt on the platform that worked loose and threw everything out of whack.  It wasn't Loctited from the factory ?

 

they will send you an alignment tool no charge if that turns out to be the problem.

 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, diversmith said:

it's Friday....still time to call Dillon.  You might even be able to get any parts needed delivered by USPS on Saturday depending on location relative to AZ.

 

I called on #2 and they said to adjust the camming pin. The one that impacts the triangular case insert slide. 

 

I just don’t know how that helps a shell that is pushed all the way into place on shell plate and then gets misaligned on way up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paulie said:

So I’ve had about 7k flawless trouble free rounds of 40 out of my 650 with Dillon dies. 

 

Now that I need to ramp up production for some level II’s and stock up for winter, it’s flaking out on me on station 1...

 

1) It is dropping two cases almost every time. One makes it into shell plate and a second case is sitting (leaning really) right side up on top of it. 

 

2) About 20% are getting caught on lip of the resizing die. I’ve crunched a few....am able to reach around and pull it snug toward center of shell plate and re-insert. The strange thing it it seems to be snug when placed into position, so it apparently shimmy’s out a few mm on way up. Tighten shell plate? 

 

Tried search function already. I’m still a rookie reloader so I hesitate to start adjusting a bunch of things. 

 

Help on on one or both issues is greatly appreciated!!!

As far as moving away on the way up try cleaning the face of the cam with some gun cleaner on a qtip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sarge said:

As far as moving away on the way up try cleaning the face of the cam with some gun cleaner on a qtip.

 

Good idea. Will try and report back. 

 

Thanks, Sarge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Paulie said:

 

Good idea. Will try and report back. 

 

Thanks, Sarge. 

Worth a try. Case lube and gunk build up on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check to see if your platform is loose first off.  I was chasing everything else and finally figured out the platform was loose.  I think it's crazy that they don't Loctite those 2 bolts at the factory.  When I got my second 650 and when I set my buddy's new 650 up, I loosened one at a time and Loctited them so we wouldn't have a problem in the future. 

 

ETA...you'll have to pull the shellplate off obviously, but it's wirth it to check to be sure and you might as well do a little PM & cleaning while you're in there.

Edited by diversmith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you checked the case insert and slide cam?  If it comes loose and moves, it will not allow cases to drop freely.  then the next pull and you'll get multiples cases dropped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I strongly recommend aligning the platform.  My indexer broke.  Along with the part,Dillon sent me an alignment tool.  Station one problems are a thing of the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, guys....there is a saying “start with the most likely / simplest fix”. 

 

Almost embarrassed to report this. 

 

Concerning the double feeds- the colored end to the case feeder tube had just popped out of place a little bit. I removed the plastic feeder tube all together, added back the colored end (pinkish for 40), reinserted into place atop the machine, clipped to case feeder and now the double feeds are no more! 

 

Edited by Paulie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paulie said:

Well, guys....there is a saying “start with the most likely / simplest fix”. 

 

Almost embarrassed to report this. 

 

Concerning the double feeds- the colored end to the case feeder tube had just popped out of place a little bit. I removed the plastic feeder tube all together, added back the colored end (pinkish for 40), reinserted into place atop the machine, clipped to case feeder and now the double feeds are no more! 

 

Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stick said:

Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked!

 

Indeed.

 

Just ran 100 without any double case feeds. However, every 10th case is still hanging on the way into sizing die.

 

Need to try ideas here and tinker some more on that front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure your station 1 locator does have any nicks or dings on it, this will cause Cases to hang up.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2018 at 2:40 PM, stick said:

Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked!

 

Here are two more examples...

 

1) The press was not level. It was tilting backward and to the right, exactly the direction to slide a case out of station 1 shell plate on way up (causing crush).  

 

2) There was a bent (wet tumbling) pin in one of the shell plate rim holders. That could also keep a case slightly outside of position 1 spec and cause crushes. 

 

Haven’t done an extended run to confirm it’ll cure all issues but spot testing showed it is now 100%. 

Edited by Paulie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this same problem with cases catching on the resizing die. I cleaned the shell slider and indeed it had a burr in it from a double feed (Again same issue as you with the plastic case feeder insert). That fixed most of the issues but I also found the case wasn't getting seated far enough into the shell plate. I adjusted it to go in farther just a very very small amount and that's all it took. I haven't had a issue in the last 5k Ive loaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's one thing that I haven't seen mentioned here (or maybe I'm blind, that's possible too 🙄) I've had the ejector wire (the one that guides the finished round into the bin) work it's way up and that will prevent the case from getting completely inserted into station 1, I use a flat blade screwdriver to push the back end of this wire all the way down into the hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

There's one thing that I haven't seen mentioned here (or maybe I'm blind, that's possible too 🙄) I've had the ejector wire (the one that guides the finished round into the bin) work it's way up and that will prevent the case from getting completely inserted into station 1, I use a flat blade screwdriver to push the back end of this wire all the way down into the hole.

Haha! Ive had that happen to me as well and forgot to mention that! After switching to a shell plate bearing it took some ejector wire massaging. Good call

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...