Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Bench

M2.0 5" vs. 5" Pro

In reading past posts on this forum it seems there are quite a number of M2.0 5" shooters here being used in competition. I'm looking at finding out the differences between the the two pistols besides the sights, the finishes and beaver tail. Primarily, is there a difference in the chassis between the two? I would think not but I don't want to find out later that there's tuning options for one more than the other. This is my first year shooting USPSA and looking for a pistol that will work for production for a long time.

Yes, the M2.0 frame has a much more substantial metal insert. My 5" 9mm M2.0 is much more accurate than my stock 5" 9mm Pros... indeed, the stock M2.0 barrel is close to the accuracy of my Apex barrels. That, plus the Pro internals are basically crap and will need to be replaced anyway. I would not recommend a Pro.

20 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Yes, the M2.0 frame has a much more substantial metal insert. My 5" 9mm M2.0 is much more accurate than my stock 5" 9mm Pros... indeed, the stock M2.0 barrel is close to the accuracy of my Apex barrels. That, plus the Pro internals are basically crap and will need to be replaced anyway. I would not recommend a Pro.

Wow, I would have thought it would be the other way around with the crap internals.

What upgrades have you done to your M2.0?

58 minutes ago, Bench said:

Wow, I would have thought it would be the other way around with the crap internals.

What upgrades have you done to your M2.0?

I only got it last week, and it is not going to be my primary match gun (I have 7 M&P 1.0s of various vintages already set up for match use). If I were setting up for USPSA Production, I would get a 5" M2.0 (any color you like as long as it is brown :D), install a fiber optic front sight (you can just black out the rear dots on the factory sight with a Sharpie), and install an Apex FSS trigger kit. If you have small Donald Trump hands you can add a Springer Precision extended magazine release. Otherwise, buy magazines and belt kit and start shooting.

1 minute ago, StealthyBlagga said:

I only got it last week, and it is not going to be my primary match gun (I have 7 M&P 1.0s of various vintages already set up for match use). If I were setting up for USPSA Production, I would get a 5" M2.0 (any color you like as long as it is brown :D), install a fiber optic front sight (you can just black out the rear dots on the factory sight with a Sharpie), and install an Apex FSS trigger kit. If you have small Donald Trump hands you can add a Springer Precision extended magazine release. Otherwise, buy magazines and belt kit and start shooting.

ROFL, my hands are at the other end of the spectrum...this isn't the first time I've heard that the Pro innards aren't up to snuff. Now that you mention it, there is a 1.0 used available...if you don't mind, what have you done to your 1.0's for matches? Are there any "sticky issues" with the 1.0"s?  There's a belt with mag pouches just waiting for a holster and a gun even if it is a brown one?.

I don't shoot Production any more... when the Production winner is in the high 90% range versus the Limited winner, why would I want  to keep bending over to pick up dropped magazines :D. I shoot Limited minor as good practice for 3-Gun.

My 5" Pros have the following modifications:

- Apex FSS trigger kit

- Apex match barrel (semi-fit in my case) <<< mandatory with the 1.0

- Extended magazine release (LF Arms, though these are no longer available)

- SSS magwell (not Product legal of course... yet)

- Glue-on grit to increase grip... not needed with the M2.0 due to the aggressive molded surface.

I always got on OK with the factory sights, but you could also budget for new ones if you like spending money.

Oh, and the 5" M2.0 is $100-200 cheaper than the Pro... especially if you had taken advantage of the rebate last month like I did :)

39 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Oh, and the 5" M2.0 is $100-200 cheaper than the Pro... especially if you had taken advantage of the rebate last month like I did :)

yea, missed that rebate but found one that is good until Dec 2018.

My 2.0 isn't nearly as accurate as my Pro, with the Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel. I'm really considering another Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel for the 2.0.

I've replaced internals on both, with Apex parts, and triggers are about the same.

The "small" backstrap, on the 2.0 seems smaller than the 1.0, and fits my little paw better.

2.0 has much less muzzle flip, and felt recoil, than 1.0, or even Sig Xfive. If I put my Pro, 1.0 top end on my 2.0, it has a lot less felt recoil and muzzle flip than if it's on my 1.0 lower. I was really surprised that with the gunsmith-fit barrel, my Pro top end would fit on the 2.0 lower. I can't get it on any other lower I've tried.

My biggest complaint about the 2.0 is that they "fixed" them, so they won't auto-forward, when you slam in a loaded magazine.

1 hour ago, RH45 said:

My 2.0 isn't nearly as accurate as my Pro, with the Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel. I'm really considering another Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel for the 2.0.

I've replaced internals on both, with Apex parts, and triggers are about the same.

The "small" backstrap, on the 2.0 seems smaller than the 1.0, and fits my little paw better.

2.0 has much less muzzle flip, and felt recoil, than 1.0, or even Sig Xfive. If I put my Pro, 1.0 top end on my 2.0, it has a lot less felt recoil and muzzle flip than if it's on my 1.0 lower. I was really surprised that with the gunsmith-fit barrel, my Pro top end would fit on the 2.0 lower. I can't get it on any other lower I've tried.

My biggest complaint about the 2.0 is that they "fixed" them, so they won't auto-forward, when you slam in a loaded magazine.

1.) Did you swap out the internals and triggers out of a need that you noticed after shooting them for a bit or is it something that you just did because of reputation?

2.) Will your Pro auto-forward when you slam a mag home?

Thanks RN45

6 hours ago, Bench said:

1.) Did you swap out the internals and triggers out of a need that you noticed after shooting them for a bit or is it something that you just did because of reputation?

2.) Will your Pro auto-forward when you slam a mag home?

Thanks RN45

1)yes

2)yes

3 hours ago, RH45 said:

1)yes

2)yes

LOL...so which is it: did you swap out because of

A.) a need that you noticed after shooting them a bit

OR

B.) Something that you did because of reputation??

My experience with the 2.0 5" mirrors Stealthy. In my case I like it so much I got rid of all my 1.0 M&P's and replaced them with 2.0's. One observation is in the accuracy department. My 5" is one of the first FDE models with the loaded chamber indicator. It is as accurate as my Pro model was with its gunsmith fit APEX barrel. A friend of mine recently purchased a FDE model 2.0  5" gun that does not have the LCI and his is not as accurate as mine. Its still a lot more accurate than many of the 1.0's that had accuracy issues, but his is about a 2" grouper at 15 yds, while mine is easily a 1" grouper as was my APEX bbl gun. 

On 9/16/2018 at 7:27 PM, Bench said:

LOL...so which is it: did you swap out because of

A.) a need that you noticed after shooting them a bit

OR

B.) Something that you did because of reputation??

I shot it, with the stock internals, and thought the trigger sucked.

The trigger on my 2.0 didn't come out quite as nice as my 1.0, but, it's now shootable.

7 minutes ago, RH45 said:

I shot it, with the stock internals, and thought the trigger sucked.

The trigger on my 2.0 didn't come out quite as nice as my 1.0, but, it's now shootable.

Thanks RH45. With your experience with the 2.0 that might suggest that I lean toward the Pro(?).

1 minute ago, Bench said:

Thanks RH45. With your experience with the 2.0 that might suggest that I lean toward the Pro(?).

No problem

Any time you buy a factory gun, it's a roll of the dice

You must have hot the lottery in that 2.0 or did not get the best of the barsto apex barrels.  The only gun I have found that can shoot smaller groups than my pro apex fitted barrel is full custom 1911.  Mine will do 1”@25 bagged.  Maybe I just got a really good one??  The 2.0 I upgraded with apex trigger kit did not feel as good as the 1.0 likewise upgraded.  Maybe its just tolerance variations in the guns as we only have some much control over what we start with.  Not like building 1911 ground up......no where near the cost and time either.  Got one I will be working on for over a yr to finish.

i have big hands and  1.0 beaver tail and grips really works well for me personally over the 2.0.  No question the  base is stiffer on the later though.  Not looked hard at it but it would seem a person could do a bit of file and tweakin to get auto slide release  function in the 2.0 

Im a rookie but ive used both the pro and m2.0 in uspsa.

The 2.0 is a very good value imo; has a good out of the box trigger extra frame weight (its still a plastic frame and ive gotta do my part) and the texturing on the grip is awesome.

My only complaints about it after having ran the pro is that the slide dosent close when i slam in a fresh mag (tho i shouldnt be going to slide lock in uspsa anyway). Also the barrel on the 2.0 is much tighter than the 1.0s i have to seat projectiles deeper for it. Not a deal breaker.

I used to have to give the pro a 6 o clock hold with the 147 reloads i use. I was told this is due to the unlocking timing on the 1.0 barrels? The 2.0 shoots right on for me. 

Apex forward set on the 2.0 gave me a 3 lb trigger. I would say apex on 1.0s are a teensy bit nicer.

My brother was able to get auto slide release on his 2.0 compact by stoning the slide catch a bit smoother i havent attempted modifying it yet.

Edited by deyolo

I would go with the 2.0

I have a 1.0 Performance Center 9L which is supposed to be the cream of the crop

and I still dropped in a KKM barrel (non ported) and the Apex FSS kit. Now with the 8moa shield mini sight on it 

it's a fast tack driver. I wish it had more frame weight to it like the 2.0's do , at this point that's my only complaint about it.

it's become my USPSA CO back up to my CZ shadow 2, but I still use it for steel matches, it's too much fun to shoot

to not use it.

I am still waiting on S&W to come out with the black 5" 2.0 before I buy one. 

5 hours ago, GlockCanMan said:

I am still waiting on S&W to come out with the black 5" 2.0 before I buy one. 

Same here..

Any one shoot a 40 or 9mm major and tried different recoil springs like 20 or 22lb springs ?  I made a trade with one of our daughters . She wanted a 9mm and I had a glock 19 gen 5  I had no use for . She had a  5 year old m&p 4.25  40sw that has a  thumb safety and I added a apex fss  kit it when new  .   This  pistol has the green recoil springs and is low round count and shoots well . I'm able to keep  15 rounds in a 3x2 inch group  at 50 feet standing shooting quickly two handed , .780 splits .     I talked to a S&W CS guy about the springs color and weights and after checking with some one else told me the new springs are un painted and the 40  runs 20lbs spring ??   True or not   .

We also have a 4.25  CORE  bought about the same time , 5 years ago that is my wifes  and its had apex trigger group  as soon as apex had them and a  gunsmith fit barrel upgrade when those back available and it now a very good shooter  but was a real turd until the barrel was changed  .

I had two different M&P.40s that would run minor or major without any problem.

That said, if you want to play with springs, older Glock interchange. Get a stainless or tungsten guide rod and see what springs works best for you 

I’m running a 12# springon a tungstenguide rod on my

9mm but would probably go to a 14# for major 

You pretty much have to try different springs with YOUR loads to see what feels the best to you