Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat Razor Cat, Czechmate Parrot or Atlas Chaos?

ilovevtac

1 hour ago, CzViper said:

What did you settle on and any recommendations. I a novice but am always interested in people's experiences and preferences. 

One of my used guns was SVI IMM, and I liked it so much I ordered new one... then another one.  I have been totally satisfied with them. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you tell me - what is that difference in magwells, that you are observing?  Mine was from 2014, and I don't recall noticing anything special about it - perhaps it was different design back then.  

Picture of mine. 

lim1.jpg

Of the three pistols listed, I would go with the Chaos.  I just got one and I really like it.   Full disclosure:  I don't have more than a couple practice sessions with it, but I spent three years behind an Eddie Garcia pistol, so I have a pretty good idea what I like.   

Edited by idHawk

4 hours ago, CodyAxon said:

I put limcat magwells on both of my Atlas limited guns. They are truly the bees knees.

I’m just glad that other’s have had the same things to say about it that I have. Shows you that it really is a winning product. 

Edited by lacivilian

6 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Could you tell me - what is that difference in magwells, that you are observing?  Mine was from 2014, and I don't recall noticing anything special about it - perhaps it was different design back then.  

6 hours ago, kujo929 said:

New one is rounded. Prevents mag from being able to get stuck at an angle. It basically turns the mag straight even when inserted crooked.

6 hours ago, Posvar said:

New one is also undercut and heavier. It's the best I have tried and I have tried them all with the exception of the Atlas.

Here is a photo that might help with answering some of the questions about the new magwell design. 

IMG_0978.thumb.JPG.d1248ad08c1390e36c9d6ebf2c20ff40.JPG

And please understand that this is a friend's Razorcat. Purple is just not my color. 

5 hours ago, j33716 said:

Since a running gun is absolutely necessary to win,

Customer service is 80% of the purchase for me.

I need to know the builder will stand behind it and fix it when it needs anything.

To be clear, that was my biggest concern also. While I am sure that Atlas, STI and CZ make great open guns, I went with a trusted person that I have known for years. I really didn't even look at any of the other options out there. So far, I have not been disappointed with the Razorcat I am borrowing. 

5 hours ago, j33716 said:

Since a running gun is absolutely necessary to win,

Customer service is 80% of the purchase for me.

I need to know the builder will stand behind it and fix it when it needs anything.

This is 100% why I went with Atlas, they answer the phone and stand behind the build 110%  I have 2 builds with Adam.

I will take guaranteed quality any day over "standing behind the product".

In one case that "standing behind" meant me doing grip swap (provided by the maker), and then a rather expensive shipment back to them - cost me $170 for an expensive gun. 

I would prefer "done right the first time" type of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda hard to compare a czechmate to a chaos or limcat. I truly believe the CZ has a great place in the market for budget open guns. I have seen all you listed run at many matches. Really comes down to money and what you like. I think anything 2011 based is always your best bet. Just because of the wealth of knowledge out there and at ever match. 

^^^

Given that, I just ended up getting the Czechmate.  I really couldn't justify the cost of going with the Chaos or Limcat, not for my purposes.  I shoot a lot of local matches and typically end up in the top 10-15% which isn't bad.  Plus, I'm not going to be breaking any records or winning any nationals anyway, so I ended up taking a more pragmatic approach.

Maybe I'll get one of the nicer guns at some point, but I'm satisfied with my decision for now.

All three guns look awesome. I've had the Czechmate and loved it, but the safety deployment is not smooth on the draw. Of the other two, I would take the limcat as Jonny loves to innovate and truly understands how weight balance in the right places makes such a big difference.

I want to say this once and I’m not trying to stir the pot. Johnny is the innovator in the industry. He is most often copied by many of the top gun makers.

The fact that he is a shooter really helps out with the way his guns work. He refuses to put anything on the market that does not work and work well.

Edited by Posvar

Your gonna get a multitude of answers and you probably wont get anything defined. All the choices are good. I am partial to the Czechmate, as I have never had a jam or malfunction in two years, aside when I had a dirty mag. Czechmates work, that is what counts for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 12:27 PM, CodyAxon said:

I put limcat magwells on both of my Atlas limited guns. They are truly the bees knees.

Did you put these on the PT Evo grip?  If so was there any fitting required?  Also what magwell did you have on before?  I have the Atlas large hands stainless and it feels great, but I have had the mag get bound on reloads.  How does the magwell compare to the large hand or regular magwell?

Did you put these on the PT Evo grip?  If so was there any fitting required?  Also what magwell did you have on before?  I have the Atlas large hands stainless and it feels great, but I have had the mag get bound on reloads.  How does the magwell compare to the large hand or regular magwell?

Yes it was on an Evo grip. I had a standard Dawson magwell on it before, the grip is about the same. Quite a bit of fitting was required, but im a terrible gun smith with a AA powered dremel and I could handle it.

39 minutes ago, kitestir said:

I only had to fit the area circled on both both of mine. 

20181011_093354.thumb.png.5231e33c0a17ff0cf87df9a573385851.png

• 6 months later...

For an open class gun, there is no comparison between a Czechmate and an Atlas. The Atlas has superior ergonomics (grip, safety, etc; the PT grips are insanely great). For contrast, the controls on the CM are bunched up on the left, and the slide racker rides far too low; people often run the CM charging handle on the right (a.k.a. wrong) side for this reason.

The Atlas also shoots flatter. Both guns are extremely fast, and the CM trigger is probably the best non-1911 trigger I've ever shot, but here again the Atlas outshines: less travel to the wall. The CM magwell also leaves *a lot* to be desired (poorly blended with the frame); and even a CZ Custom magwell doesn't being to approach the quality, fit, and function of the Atlas magwell. Atlas customer service is superb. Oh, and the red dot mount on the CM is not nearly as reliable--I find the Atlas holds zero longer and better. (It's ~2 screws on the CM versus ~5 on the Chaos).

One possible advantage of of the CM: mags are cheaper and probably require less tuning. Granted there is a 2X price difference between the guns. Depends on how serious you are about shooting open class :)

Edited by shootmove

I've shot open for less than a year and am only a B-Class shooter, so take this with a grain of salt, but here is my experience.

I am a diehard fanboy, so when I decided to switch from limited to open, the czechmate was the obvious step.  Initial benefits were that you can buy one immediately with no wait and it comes with magazines.   

Despite what people say, it's still in your best interest to get the messages tuned by Grams.  So you might as well also buy CZC basepad and have the Grams followers installed at the same time.  Once that was done and I developed a load, it runs 100% flawless. Only malfunction in over 10,000 rounds was due to a high primer. Also, they come oversprung, so plan to put a lighter recoil spring in (9 lb works good for my load of 115g Everglades with 8.7g HS-6).

Now since i'm not the type to make something work and stick with it, I just acquired a very nice middy 2011 with all bells and whistles known to open class. I'll skip the gory details there, but it is more of a process to get things ironed out to run smooth. Also, on top of the firearm costing twice as much af a czechmate, I then spent around $1k on fancy MBX mags.

So how do they stack up?  Yes, the 2011 is the better performing platform.  By how much?  I firmly believe that, for a B-class shooter,  my scores improved around 1-2% due to the pistol itself.  Does it shoot better and flatter and allow you to get slightly faster splits? Sure. But if you're honest when looking at the scores and where time is spent across an entire stage, the benefit of the gun isn't as critical as most Open class mall-ninjas insist. 

Is that extra benefit worth the $?  For a rational person, no.  But rational/responsible people don't shoot open. 

Summary.  If you think you're the next JJ Racaza, then buy a Limcat or similar. If you realize that none of us are going to win nationals and you have a shred of fiscal responsibility, then it's SOOOO much wiser to go the czechmate route.   But in the end, those with self control with the pocketbook shoot carry optics. If you're playing the Open game, odds are you will compulsively buy a 2011 at some point anyway because they look so damn sexy on instagram (such as in my case).

Edited by KTM530XCW

3 hours ago, KTM530XCW said:

Summary.  If you think you're the next JJ Racaza, then buy a Limcat or similar. If you realize that none of us are going to win nationals and you have a shred of fiscal responsibility, then it's SOOOO much wiser to go the czechmate route.   But in the end, those with self control with the pocketbook shoot carry optics. If you're playing the Open game, odds are you will compulsively buy a 2011 at some point anyway because they look so damn sexy on instagram (such as in my case).

One of the best posts I've read in awhile.  More power to those with multiple 2011s, but I just like to go out and shoot as cheaply as possible!

• 2 weeks later...