Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow2 Open project

Johansson81

2 hours ago, chenault said:

Man looks like you could turn that into a business.  

The thought has actually crossed my mind, not quitting my day job but to start small doing customer jobs and see where it goes. I am not sure about the paperwork involved here in Sweden though.

4 hours ago, LuvDog said:

Amazing. But now I want one too and don’t have the skill, tools, or courage to do it myself.

Thanks! Without the right tools I would never have started this project, I´d just have ended up with a wrecked gun.

5 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Geez, I wish I had even 10% of your skill!

Stubborness it the key,  spending most of my spare time in the workshop for the last 15 years pays off. :)

7 hours ago, sean_stw said:

All of this is awesome, Great job!!! I had thought of doing something just like what you did but with a tanfoglio stock 2 but unfortunately didnt have any access to lathes or mills and just gonna go with the more common 2011 platform. Your shadow 2 looks super flat its crazy lol

When I was in highschool taking a machinist course i had started a project to build a turbo jet from a pretty large industrial turbo but ran out of time and money back then. Seeing what you've been doing makes me want to start building one again, but it wouldnt be anywhere near the level of what you've done lol ?

A friend has a custom built 2011 9mm Open which shoots really great, but it doesen´t fit my hand for some reason. The Tanfoglio/CZ guns just feel so much better in my small hands.  I am just about to sit down and do some reduced charge loads to try to find one that gets me 165PF, might ceramic coat the compensator as well since it seems to work pretty well with the port size and placement.

Do it! Nothing is more rewarding than hearing your home built gas turbine spool up for the first time. Trust me on this one. :)

Edited by Johansson81

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After making some different charge weight loads I went to the range to chrono them, a 7.2gr load gave 160PF so when I got back home I loaded up a box of 7.4gr ammo for the next range trip. Should get me close to 165PF which is where I want to be.

I shot aprox. 100 rounds today, the brass ejected flawlessly and the gun handles really nice. A 7m Bill Drill in 2.5s with a sloppy draw is almost half a second faster than I could do with the Shadow2 in its original state.

20180915_180744-e1537030504679.jpg

Cheers!

/Anders

Thanks!

A friend at the club had half a bottle of SP2 that he didn´t have any use for since he shoots Production nowadays so I bought it from him just to test the gun until I can get my hands on some 3n38.

Edited by Johansson81

This sundays job on the S2 was to blend out the slide release which dug into my thumb knuckle and was pretty annoying, now I can´t feel it any more.

20180916_212806.jpg

I also matched the mag well to the frame, the fit was far from good with an edge that the mag lips might hit and get damaged on. No use painting anything since the magwell will look all scratched up anyway after a couple of matches.

20180916_212728.jpg

Finally I cut two standard mags apart and welded up a 170mm mag, I will make another one and order Tanfoglio original mag springs for their small frame long mags. Two of these and two original +2 mags on the rig will be a good setup I think.

20180916_212741.jpg

Cheers!

/Anders

23 hours ago, Johansson81 said:

Finally I cut two standard mags apart and welded up a 170mm mag, I will make another one and order Tanfoglio original mag springs for their small frame long mags. Two of these and two original +2 mags on the rig will be a good setup I think.

Cheers!

/Anders

What kind of capacity are you getting with the welded up mag?

3 minutes ago, Johansson81 said:

I don´t know yet, haven´t had time to order long springs for them. I´ve been suggested that Tanfoglio springs for Small frame long mags works great.

That would probably be the first place I checked too. This gun looks great, congratulations. You are doing awesome work here.

Just now, Gooldylocks said:

That would probably be the first place I checked too. This gun looks great, congratulations. You are doing awesome work here.

Thank you, I am very satisfied with it so far. With the IPSC Alex mount I´ve ordered it will be even better since the dot will get much closer to the slide.

rts2-mount-for-tanfoglio-pistols.jpg

I am not sure about what thumb rest to use yet, the Tanfoglio Unica adjustable thumb rest looks awesome but I fear I´ll upset some cosmic balance if I add a Tanfo logo to a CZ... :)

1 hour ago, Tochnost said:

This is super cool. Been thinking for years about getting a mill to do this kind of work. 

What the of aluminum did you use for the comp and will you be anodizing it?

Thanks! I honestly don't know the exact type of aluminum, it was just a scrap piece I had laying around. I don't think I'll bother anodizing it since the ceramic coating seems to stick to it pretty good.

34 minutes ago, reverse_edge said:

Are you going to cut the front of the dust cover, or leave that notch in the comp? 

I will leave the dust cover intact, it helps stabilize the compensator. Plus every inch I cut away makes the slide to frame fit sloppier (same radial play but less lenght gives more angular movement) so I imagine an uncut dust cover gives the best precision.

Today when I got back home from work I had a parcel waiting for me with a Cmore RTS2 sight inside! It also included a Tanfoglio sight mount which I hoped would fit the Shadow2 as well, but alas, the frame width was all wrong so I will have to save it for the Domina gun that will arrive some time this winter.

20180921_191617.jpg

The HSS drill I used earlier only dulled itself when I tried to drill the sight mount holes in the frame, but the carbide drill I bought cut like butter and the steam expired M4 tap had no problems with the surface hardened frame. Sweet. :)

20180921_180804.jpg

I made four m4 holes in the frame and tomorrow I will start milling a one sided mount for the RTS2 sight. It will be sweeeeet! :)

20180921_191610.jpg

Cheers!

/Anders

23 hours ago, Johansson81 said:

Thanks! I honestly don't know the exact type of aluminum, it was just a scrap piece I had laying around. I don't think I'll bother anodizing it since the ceramic coating seems to stick to it pretty good.

I will leave the dust cover intact, it helps stabilize the compensator. Plus every inch I cut away makes the slide to frame fit sloppier (same radial play but less lenght gives more angular movement) so I imagine an uncut dust cover gives the best precision.

Was just thinking the anodizing might be good to protect the aluminum. Not sure if you'll be running majors loads or not but they will probably cut into it pretty quick.

Dont you need a second home hobby with some home anodizing;). You're great at the machining part. That would be easy in comparison.

I´ll look into the anodizing stuff, sounds like fun! :)

I went out this morning and finished the sight mount/thumb rest, turned out really good. I used the sight weaver mount, milled it down and welded to a side plate.

20180922_080723.jpg

There are still some finishing touches to do, but I want to shoot it some first to see if I like the angle and placement of the thumb rest. The cut under the second screw is from me sneezing when I cut the plate out on the band saw... :)

20180922_080732.jpg

Cheers!

/Anders

43 minutes ago, Johansson81 said:

20180922_080723.jpg

There are still some finishing touches to do, but I want to shoot it some first to see if I like the angle and placement of the thumb rest. The cut under the second screw is from me sneezing when I cut the plate out on the band saw... :)

20180922_080732.jpg

Cheers!

/Anders

the cut under second screw it's the best place to hide diamond?