Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow2 Open project

Johansson81

Hi there! My name is Anders Johansson and I live in the northern parts of Sweden, been competing in IPSC for a year and I am thoroughly hooked. I started out in Production division with my Shadow 2 that I was using for national shooting but soon I figured out that it was in the Open division where all the fun was, especially since I am a hobby machinist and like to tinker with my stuff.

While waiting for my new Tanfoglio Domina to arrive I decided to build a backup gun out of the Shadow 2, the plan was to make as much as possible myself both to learn and to avoid pouring buckets of money over a gun that will spend most of its time in the gun safe.

20180910_200613.jpg

After doing some research and getting some help from a guy here named Stefan Halvarsson I had a pretty good idea on how to proceed, first off was to cut the slide 8mm to expose enough barrel so I could fit the compensator. A bit hard on the nerves since there would be no turning back from here on... :)

20180910_204332.jpg

The plan was to mill the slide but I soon found out that it was tempered and hard as glass, so I used the angle grinder instead and finished it off with a rotating sanding stone in the mill.

Since the slide material was so hard I had to figure out another way of securing the recoil spring, the original plan was to drill out the chamber and make a stainless insert just like on the Czechmate but instead I made a steel washer on the lathe and tig welded in place. No problem with coil bind so it turned out to be a very simple and neat solution.

20180910_210746.jpg

To my surprise I found that the barrel was just as hard as the slide, a check with a file confirmed that I would ruin my M14x1 die if I tried, after some head scratching I decided to anneal the barrel end where the threads would go.

received_2157479117838891.jpeg

I kept the lugs and chamber section under water while heating the barrel to avoid losing the tempering there, it turned out a success and after cooling down for an hour I could thread the barrel. I also decided to make the cone for the compensator a separate part since I wanted it in steel while the compensator would be made out of aluminum. Here the finished cone is screwed onto the barrel.

20180911_003747.jpg

I had 11mm of barrel left to thread the comp to, that should be enough I figured.

20180911_003729.jpg

Cheers!

/Anders

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time had come to make the compensator, I found a suitable chunk of aluminum in the back of the shed and started milling.

20180911_190621.jpg

I tend to build things on the go, no cad drawings here just a caliper and some scratchings on a piece of paper. Here I am using the pistol to find the right angle for the comp profiling.

20180911_225445.jpg

Here is the compensator after some finishing touches with the sanding paper, I don´t want to over do it at this point before I have test shot it properly and found out what the dot movement is like.

20180912_111939-e1536875387249.jpg

Here is the comp in place on the gun.

20180912_191703-e1536875340626.jpg

While waiting for a 3.3mm drill to arrive so I can make the threaded holes in the frame for the sight mount I borrowed a rail mount from a friend, I got permission to weld a simple thumb rest to it.

20180913_165103-e1536875034793.jpg

Here is a pic of the first shot fired with Major ammo, the ports seem to be working so I will try to find more time for shooting this weekend and try to make up my mind about it. I have a RTS2 sight on its way so with a lower mount and the RTS2 sight I think this will be a sweet shooter.

Shadow2open-test.jpg

Cheers!

/Anders

Edited by Johansson81

Thanks a lot for the praise!

I really like the Shadow 2, it fits my hand like a glove after I made a set of 3d printed grips with sand epoxied to them. Despite lack of much actual experience I don´t like the concept of hybrid holes in a barrel so I will stick to a compensated std barrel and tinker with the Shadow2 until I prefer the it over the Domina (also non-hybrid). Then I´ll name it my primary gun and start working on the Domina. :)

I wasn´t very worried about the job itself since my other hobby is to design and build gas turbine engines in the 200hp region for a landspeed motorcycle I´ve been working on for the last 8 years, so any workshop project smaller than 500+hours is a quick job. :)

Cheers!

/Anders

I have tuned the hammer a bit so the trigger is pretty crisp now compared to before when it had lots of creep, but I´ll look up the Eeman hammer.

The more I shoot the less I care about having a perfect trigger, especially not now when the pistol is SA converted.

The carbide drill and M4 tap will arrive next week so I´ll soon find out how hard the frame is. :)

I found time to chrono the gun today, with 7.8gr Vectan SP2 under a 123gr plated bullet I got 176.4PF which is a bit high but no pressure signs on the cases.

The gun shoots like a dream, at 7 meters the dot never leaves the popper. I will load up some 165PF ammo and it should run even flatter.

Edited by Johansson81

4 hours ago, George16 said:

Very nice!

What type of turbine engine are you using on your bike?

It is a home made engine based around a Garrett TV94 rotor, the old engine produced 140hp on the rear wheel and the one I am building at the moment will be in the 270hp region which should be enough power for a 330-340km/h run on the standing mile.

JU-02 529.jpg

4 hours ago, perttime said:

Cool bike too. Using propane and pressurized air to start the engine, I think. What's with the Finnish flags at the start gate?

There were some finnish guys there with some really potent turbo bikes, I think one of them ran 400+km/h on the mile!?

51 minutes ago, Johansson81 said:

It is a home made engine based around a Garrett TV94 rotor, the old engine produced 140hp on the rear wheel and the one I am building at the moment will be in the 270hp region which should be enough power for a 330-340km/h run on the standing mile.

JU-02 529.jpg

That’s really nice. It’s great to see people like you doing things like this. I used to work with turbine engines (albeit way bigger than those) before I retired from the Navy and I had a great time working with them.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, George16 said:

That’s really nice. It’s great to see people like you doing things like this. I used to work with turbine engines (albeit way bigger than those) before I retired from the Navy and I had a great time working with them.

Thanks.

We have a great little turbine community going with many awesome build threads, check my build thread for the new bike engine out at http://jetandturbineowners.proboards.com/thread/734/building-ju-02-gas-producer

Perhaps it is best we continue any jet related discussions in PM to avoid messing up the thread. :)

9 minutes ago, George16 said:

All of this is awesome, Great job!!! I had thought of doing something just like what you did but with a tanfoglio stock 2 but unfortunately didnt have any access to lathes or mills and just gonna go with the more common 2011 platform. Your shadow 2 looks super flat its crazy lol

When I was in highschool taking a machinist course i had started a project to build a turbo jet from a pretty large industrial turbo but ran out of time and money back then. Seeing what you've been doing makes me want to start building one again, but it wouldnt be anywhere near the level of what you've done lol ?

Edited by sean_stw