Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson Pointman 9 vs CZ Custom Accu Shadow Lite?

Recently I sold both of my 10 mm pistols, which were cool but not working out for me.  The EAA/Tanfo Hunter was nice off a rest, but I could not control my flinch when standing on my hind legs!

Looking to go down to a 9 mm.  I don't really compete, just want something for casual Bullseye-type shooting with friends (we alternate between one- and two-handed stances, but both in boring old Bullseye match structure).  I'm never going to be very good (you should see how much "essential tremor" I have...barf), but I'm somewhat serious about improving enough to stay ahead of my wife, if possible, who just took up shooting a few months ago and is improving rapidly!  ;)  I doubt I'll get into any run-and-gun games, although stranger things have happened...

I abhor the common argument "the gun is more accurate than I can shoot," since even if I can only hold a 4" group at 25 yards, a gun that mechanically shoots 0.75" at that range is going to score me plenty more points than one that shoots 2". (A 0.75" shooter vs. a 1" shooter?  Well, yeah, there maybe we're looking at diminishing returns.)

My current contenders are the Dan Wesson PM9 and the CZ Custom Shadow.  Both are a few bucks more than my ideal price point, but not a problem if they pay off in performance.  How do they compare in the following regards?

1.  Mechanical accuracy, meaning what the gun does from a Ransom Rest.

2.  Practical accuracy, meaning how much difference a barely halfway decent shooter is going to find between them because of things like trigger quality, recoil management, sight radius and other ergonomic factors.

3.  Resale value, just in case I decide I made a mistake.  The least important issue, but could be a tie-breaker.

I have owned both.   I still have a couple shadows for USPSA, and reluctantly just sold my PM9 to a pal because the limited gun I just bought was more than I wanted to spend.

You can't go wrong with either.  If you were shooting USPSA or ISPC, I'd say go with the CZ because it feeds a bit more reliably with the MecGar mags when running and gunning and reloading.   

But if you are mostly shooting stationary, I'd say PM9 hands down given the SA trigger - it's just amazing.   A little fussier with mags and ammo, but you can overcome that.

Can't go wrong either way though!

21 hours ago, johnbu said:

The Tanfo Match Extreme in 9mm.

6" barrel, no ports, but lightened slide and single action only.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/eaa-tanfoglio-witness-match-xtreme-9mm/

Very tempting.  You're right, I should probably be comparing SAO to SAO, not SAO to SA/DA.

I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have the PM9 and $400 worth of ammo, though...