Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what holster for ck arms metal grip

snake32

5 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

I went Alpha X for SVI and had to do a lot of tuning to get it to fit right, but it works well now.   I had to modify the slide by sanding down the back side of it so it would move out of the way of the trigger guard more on draw. 

Was it for SV steel grip? That should fit CK perfectly.

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Was it for SV steel grip? That should fit CK perfectly.

Yes, but the trigger guard was hanging up on the draw. There was too much of the "hook" left after the slide had made its upward travel and it would catch my trigger guard on anything but a perfect draw.  Sanding the back of the slide allows it to move fully out of the way. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I just called DAA today to order an insert for a CK steel grip. The guy who took my order recommended me the STI insert, so I took their advice and ordered it. 

Then, right after a few minutes, I came upon this thread and another thread that has an email quotation from Saul Kirsch:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/237165-holster-info-for-ck-arms-2011/

On 8/2/2016 at 8:19 AM, zzt said:

Wow! The only thing I can think of is trigger guards changed over time. Or, there is a significant manufacturing tolerance in grips and/or blocks and some will fit while others will not. Here is Saul's reply to my question:

HI steve,

The aluminum STI grip will work as is with our STI2011 insert you have.

The CK grip is slightly thinner on the trigger guard and while the STI insert can be used, the gun will rock a little. The SV steel insert will give a better fit, but some light adjustments may be needed, similar to what you did with the SP01 to fit the TS.

Best Regards,

Saul Kirsch
General Manager
Double-Alpha Academy B.V.

That is the opposite of Sarge's experience, but seems to match XDM's. I take it from Saul's response the CK trigger guard is thinner front to rear than the STI and that is what will cause the rocking. Sarge says the CK guard is wider. Saul says the SV block may have to be modified as I did with the SP01 block. with that, I had to remove material to get it to fit around the thicker (front to rear) TS guard. So I'm assuming the SV grip is the same vis-a-vis the CK.

So I called the DAA again to talk with one of their techs to confirm on this. His initial response was that STI should work fine for CK arms steel grips, so I asked him if the SV steel insert wouldn't be a better option as the STI insert could be too sloppy for the CK steel grips.

He said the gun might wiggle a little bit in the STI insert but it shouldn't be an issue as the gun gets locked up as it is sitting in the insert, so the gun won't come out. He also said he finds that a tiny bit of wiggle shouldn't be a problem in general as he personally owns an insert like that as well, and he has been fine with it. However, he still offered swapping the STI to the SV steel insert, so I told him go ahead and swap it as I am hoping it to provide a better fitting after all.

I'll update when I receive the part and finish the fitting process.

Thanks,

J.

Edited by jmoon

Neither the STI or SVI block works perfectly with an e2 grip.  With the STI your draws has to be perfect or it hangs up.  The SVI block is a little tight side to side. You have to remove a little material from each side to make it perfect.  That being said, I'm sure there are manufacturing tolerances on the grips and blocks, so YMMV.  For example, my STI block was not as sloppy as some complain.  The SVI does not work well with the STI grips.

I had two complete belt and holster setups.  One for CZ TS and one for 1911/2011.  I had two 2011 STI grips, one Cheely e2 grip and a custom 1911 Open gun for steel.  I had to change ot the block every time I changed pistols.  It got to be a chore.  So I ordered an Everglades holster, modified it for the e2, and now all three grip types can use the same holster without any mods or adjustments.

I just put an E2 aggressive on my STI. 

On the Alpha X It worked ok with the standard STI insert but rocked back and forth a bit and like ZZT said it would hang up occasionally on the draw.

The SV Steel insert I got last week fit perfect, no rocking and no hang ups. It's not too tight so there must be some variation somewhere.

I've also got an open gun with a locally made plastic grip that fits better in SVI steel insert. 

2 hours ago, dansedgli said:

I just put an E2 aggressive on my STI. 

On the Alpha X It worked ok with the standard STI insert but rocked back and forth a bit and like ZZT said it would hang up occasionally on the draw.

The SV Steel insert I got last week fit perfect, no rocking and no hang ups. It's not too tight so there must be some variation somewhere.

I've also got an open gun with a locally made plastic grip that fits better in SVI steel insert. 

I just switched to the alpha x holster from the safariland 014 (didn't work with the xwf).  I had the same experience as you with the svi insert with my e2 grip.  It fits great and is smooth on the draw.   

I just received the package from DAA today.

I can also attest that the SV steel insert works very well for a CK steel grip. The tightness of the slot of the insert block was just perfect. The gun slides in "loosely" and "smoothly" as Saul suggests in his video at around 3:40 ish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EH2_MAzYcQ

I noticed that the trigger guard is slightly over carved to fit the outside of the trigger guard of my CK grip, but it's totally negligible as it still provides an excellent fit for my gun. Most of all, this insert is for the SV steel grip anyway. I was totally ready for a filling work but I ended up with no modification at all besides removing some plastic burrs. No rocking and no hanging up, I'm satisfied. I appreciate zzt for forwarding the email from Saul to this forum. Otherwise, I could've ended up being frustrated with the gun rocking and hanging up by a STI insert. Not sure why the CS person and the tech person at DAA recommended the STI insert for CK steel grip. For my gun, SV steel insert seems very close to perfect fitting.

J.

Edited by jmoon