Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti DVC Limited with island barrel

pc13

Does anyone own or have shot the STI DVC Limited in 40 cal?  I've ordered one for USPSA limited division and it seems to be taking a while for STI to manufacture.  How does it shoot and does anyone have loads for 40 cal.  Powder, bullets ect.  thanks..

• 2 months later...

I have had my STI DVC for just over 1 month.  Let me tell ya this is the smoothest shooting gun I have ever owned.  I had to change the front fiber optic to green as it came in red.  I shoot 200 gr bullets and I am extremely happy with it. It shoots bullseyes at 15-25 yrs.  It's very accurate as my CZ Shadow.  So far I've shot two USPSA matches and I'm very happy with it

44 minutes ago, APL-G35 said:

If you grip from the front, does the slide flex enough when pinched to cause it to be hard to rack a round in? For unloaded starts.

It's easy as any other 2011 pistol to rack thumb over slide style. I am conscious about slide biting myself on the island though. lol

• 4 weeks later...

I bought one. Only put 250 rds though it. It seemed to recoil flatter and felt less snappy than the older style DVC Limited with the same ammo (171 PF).  I think i'm really REALLY going to like it! Only problem is that i had a bunch of stovepipes. I'm chalking it up to not being broken in yet, but i'm not 100% sure.

The extractor appears to be tuned correctly. I did put a tungsten guide rod and a 12lb variable spring it in however. I might need to mess with the spring weight once i get some more rounds fired through it.

9 hours ago, beta1759 said:

I bought one. Only put 250 rds though it. It seemed to recoil flatter and felt less snappy than the older style DVC Limited with the same ammo (171 PF).  I think i'm really REALLY going to like it! Only problem is that i had a bunch of stovepipes. I'm chalking it up to not being broken in yet, but i'm not 100% sure.

The extractor appears to be tuned correctly. I did put a tungsten guide rod and a 12lb variable spring it in however. I might need to mess with the spring weight once i get some more rounds fired through it.

I don’t have a DVC limited, or an sight tracker, but I just put a wolff variable in mine with a Dawson tooless and I love how it tracks now. Noticeably different then what came from the factory. My  slide is tri topped, so not as fat as others, but probably still not as light as a DVC limited.  Yours probably just needs to be broken in some more. Another 500rds or so and hopefully all will be good. I really like the look of the DVC, and I love the sight tracker concept, even though I’ve never shot one. My next gun will definitely be a sight tracker. 

10 hours ago, beta1759 said:

i don't understand the logic : every gun that have been sold in the world  works out of the box ,except  few 1911/2011 models.

is this how it is accepted in the world ?  or 500-1000  rounds break in  it's o.k?

6 hours ago, yigal said:

i don't understand the logic : every gun that have been sold in the world  works out of the box ,except  few 1911/2011 models.

is this how it is accepted in the world ?  or 500-1000  rounds break in  it's o.k?

Well, it’s not really anymore. It seems if you buy the atlas, Akai, SV, CK, or  hell  even SPS or any of the semi/custom guns,  they run right out of the box. My sps limited gun didn’t need any kind of break in period, its just ran though 4000+ rounds. It’s just sti. My open gun, which is a Frankengun build with various parts from a reputable builder, same thing no problems. 

It’s funny though. If you go back and read threads from years ago when sti was more dominant, someone would say what you just said and he’d get pounced on and everyone would take turns explaining to him why it’s ok that  their 4000 dollar gun had to take 3 trips back to the smith over a 6 month period to work. 

Now, people aren’t putting up with that s#!t. And It’s about damn time. Seems like every 2011 builders guns work Right out of the box now, or they have very minor issues for the first 200rds. Of course from time to time there’s an issue. But it’s the exception, not the rule. Back in the day it was the rule. 

20 minutes ago, Jfitz427 said:

Well, it’s not really anymore. It seems if you buy the atlas, Akai, SV, CK, or  hell  even SPS or any of the semi/custom guns,  they run right out of the box. My sps limited gun didn’t need any kind of break in period, its just ran though 4000+ rounds. It’s just sti. My open gun, which is a Frankengun build with various parts from a reputable builder, same thing no problems. 

It’s funny though. If you go back and read threads from years ago when sti was more dominant, someone would say what you just said and he’d get pounced on and everyone would take turns explaining to him why it’s ok that  their 4000 dollar gun had to take 3 trips back to the smith over a 6 month period to work. 

Now, people aren’t putting up with that s#!t. And It’s about damn time. Seems like every 2011 builders guns work Right out of the box now, or they have very minor issues for the first 200rds. Of course from time to time there’s an issue. But it’s the exception, not the rule. Back in the day it was the rule. 

it took  to long time .   because America is small island?😄

7 hours ago, yigal said:

Some day you will be able to understand.

That they have tolerances that are made to allow them to mate together. Verses loose tolerances that slap together

Yigal on with what makes you happy

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Some day you will be able to understand.

That they have tolerances that are made to allow them to mate together. Verses loose tolerances that slap together

Yigal on with what makes you happy

what will make me happy is pic.of great U.S .  and others  gunsmiths works that works perfectly and not pic. of good looking peace of metal that not works and cost  3k.😉

Edited by yigal

20 year old Tim Yackley shot Nationals with one and came in 6th overall. Seemed to work great and track flat. He was used to shooting 9mm in 3-gun so shooting major all of a sudden didn’t seem to throw him off. I shot one at the STI booth there and liked it. I don’t think you could go wrong with one. STI has definitely stepped up their game recently as far as designs and performance. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, beta1759 said:

So update on my stovepiping issue. I realized i had loaded/was shooting extremely light loads on accident. basically shooting 125pf out of a 180gr 40. I think the issue will be resolved once i get back to shooting major PF rounds (171PF).

8 hours ago, beta1759 said:

So update on my stovepiping issue. I realized i had loaded/was shooting extremely light loads on accident. basically shooting 125pf out of a 180gr 40. I think the issue will be resolved once i get back to shooting major PF rounds (171PF).

That could definitely cause it to stove pipe. My open gun does the same thing with light loads. Somehow my limited gun doesn’t though. I loaded up some 180g blues behind 3g of regular clays (4.3 makes major) and man were these bunny fart loads, felt like shooting a 22l, but it cycled them without issue, same 12lb recoil spring. The load had to be around 135pf or so. But ya  125 is really really low for a 40 with 180g  bullets. Upping you charge will probably solve the problem.