Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Change red dot AFTER cutting slide

johnbu

Ok, so I'm changing from one dot to a different one. But the slide is already cut... what to do?

Well, i found a precision Tig welder that can add metal without buggering it up. The only drawback is the heat will discolor the chrome.  no way around that.

He filled the screw holes and put metal for new alignment posts.  Fast turn and good price. 

If you have a similar task, i can send you the contact info via PM.

received_543491346093724.jpeg

A little late now, but next time, you might want to consider using adapter plates, sort of like those used on the Glock MOS series.  They would be a lot cheaper than welding it up every time you want to try a new optic and far less risky.

On 9/11/2018 at 4:17 AM, robport said:

A little late now, but next time, you might want to consider using adapter plates, sort of like those used on the Glock MOS series.  They would be a lot cheaper than welding it up every time you want to try a new optic and far less risky.

Worthless, horrible idea. If the bottom of the dot isn’t rubbing your firing pin, your gun sucks. ?

(My little PPQ project:)

38502652-83BE-471E-972E-CE61C2C5EA69.thumb.jpeg.41de36e10fb432019aaebf2ee2c7402d.jpeg

@johnbu which dot are you switching to, and from? And why?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

which dot are you switching to, and from? And why? 

Sigh....

Long story, but

I initially went 6moa vortex viper.  Decently large glass with a bright dot and the shortest body under the dot. Mounted in a cut slide brought the dot to just above the index point for iron sights. Totally awesome.

But i break them.  about every 6-10,000 rounds (except for the one i dropped).  but vortex has stood behind them 100%.

After the last dot switch failed, they asked if i would want to swap for new Venom 6moa. Their next model up and the newest version.  same mounting pattern.  "deal"

But... the body of the dots are offset. And just cutting the area bigger would impact the firing pin keeper.  so... weld up and machine again.

FYI - i also sent my back up slide off to be cut for the "better quality" Sig Romeo1.  it died after 1500 rounds. Between shots it dropped 10 ". It is on the way back to sig with a 5-6week time before they begin to evaluate it after it gets in que.

Sigh... I'm cursed. 

Right now im running a dove tail mount on a 40sw slide. Yeah... 40sw for CO, not optimum,  but better that not being able to see the iron sights (im a geezer).  oh, using the vortex venom 6moa which has been flawless. 

Ouch.

I’m going to hope my DPP continues to prove that it was “one of the good ones” and runs for another few years. Best of luck with the new Vortex!

I won’t buy anything from SIG these days. Strong internet fanboy presence, but EVERYTHING has a recall or serious issues within the first few years of it’s release, these days. They’re the worst at using their customers as beta-testers... and the fanboys still line up.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

12 hours ago, texasdawg said:

I ran a 9mm barrel in a 40 slide for almost a year/ 10k rounds with a 9mm extractor. It never missed a beat. Was a LimPro slide but pretty much the same. Just an idea,,,

Thanks.  I did that yesterday at practice.  Ran several hundred rounds of 9mm in the 40 side (with 40 extactor) and it never missed a beat.

I, however, did miss a few.  But that's a different story.

4 minutes ago, motherFNbrandon said:

looking forward to the continued updates. trying to decide on an optic to play around in CO with.

The DPP is one of the better ones.  But...  I have it on good authority that they break too.  And they have about the same inspect, evaluate, repair/replace, return time cycle as Sig.  (about 2 months).  The DPP is also wider than the slide and the heaviest and that will limit options to meet the 45oz max weight.

My opinion is that the customer service aspect of the dot is as important as the glass size, brightness, etc.  I say that as it seems all CO slide ride dots that are seriously shot will fail.  When they fail, getting them back and running fast is important!

I liked the SIG R1 6moa brightness.  Impossible to wash out even with low sun on the glass.  That's really nice!  but at high bright levels, it really blossoms from 6 moa to 12 or more. 

So far, the 6moa VENOM has been nice. The dot is distinct and while not as bright as the R1, it's plenty bright and I haven't lost it in the sun.  It also is made in the Philippines and the VIPER is made in China.  Is that a thing ?  I don't know !  But hopefully it is better quality.  

Cant find the pic now, but I did break a Venom after around 10-12k rounds on a milled  Tanfo slide(about 1 years worth). It was where the arch over the glass at the body connection was. Vortex had a new one back in my hands in 14 days total time from me to them and back,,, cant beat that warranty. Im running a Cmore STS2 on my open gun and it seems to be doing okay,,, I had a random extractor problem until I went to a 9mm extractor on the 40 slide just saying