Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does slamming a magazine into a Shadow 2 to drop the slide damage anything?

kmam2010

I am new to USPSA and at my first match during a mag change I slammed the magazine into my shadow 2 and the slide fell forward chambering a round.  During previous practice sessions at the range the slide hasn't fallen forward from this method. Now it seems that every time I insert a magazine hard the slide falls forward. Did I damage anything in the gun? Is it ok to slam in the mags because I kind of like the slide going forward this way (it prevents me from having to rack the slide or play with the slide stop). Thank you for your help.

My TS does this as well, its a great feature to have when you forget to reload during a stage and the "oh s#!t" starts going off in your head when you realize you're in slide lock.

Edited by mveto

Most guns do in my experience.   I think people get surprised when they do it because they don't have it happen at the range.   Then when they do it on the clock and rush they really bang in the mags and boom it auto closes. 

Over insertion depends on the basepads.  Stock mags were no issue, nor were the Springer Precision pads but with Shockbottle pads I would jam the gun every time I went to slidelock.  There are a couple of other brands that are good and bad for this but can't recall which is which at the moment.

Edited by Chili

41 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

If you found out you could lock your car door by slamming it, 95% of the time, would you stop using the key, fob or button?

What about when you parked your car in a sketchy place? Still rely on slamming it?

:D

If you found out you could lock your car door by slamming it, 95% of the time, would you stop using the key, fob or button?

What about when you parked your car in a sketchy place? Still rely on slamming it?

I don’t think you have to choose. If you happen to be at slide lock when you do a reload and it auto forwards, that’s great. Carry on. If it doesn’t you can hit the release or sling shot the slide. The important thing is to to hesitate either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Kaufdrop27 said:

Am I the only one wondering why we are going to slide lock in uspsa? Great feature when it happens but it shouldn’t happen much..

Depends on what Division you are shooting. True that it shouldn't happen much.

Last month, I went to slide lock once during a Match, shooting IPSC Classic (Major PF) - sorta like USPSA Singlestack. That didn't make my result much worse: I had to take another shot at a plate, before moving several meters. I didn't lose count, so was prepared to operate the lever on the move.

9 hours ago, perttime said:

Depends on what Division you are shooting. True that it shouldn't happen much.

Last month, I went to slide lock once during a Match, shooting IPSC Classic (Major PF) - sorta like USPSA Singlestack. That didn't make my result much worse: I had to take another shot at a plate, before moving several meters. I didn't lose count, so was prepared to operate the lever on the move.

Agreed. With production it’s shoot, reload/move.  Should be mostly slide forward with round in the chamber unless something goes awry or your stage plan calls for it. Autofoward is a feature though and to answer the OPs post shouldn’t hurt anything!

I'm sure the top shooters will disagree with this technique, but when I'm at slide lock I rest my thumb on the slide lock. When I insert the mag the momentum up assures the slide lock release. Theoretically I suppose I could accidentally trigger the slide lock, but thus far it hasn't occurred yet.