Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New ruling on holster/mag pouch measurements

Sarge

You really have to do your own research to keep up with the changes coming out of HQ.

Holster and Magazine Distance from Belt in Open, LTD, L10

Created:

May 21, 2015

Effective:

Sep 11, 2018

Rule:

Appendices D1,D2

Applies to:

General

Ruling Authority:

DNROI

Released

Question:

Ruling:

The maximum distance of the handgun and magazines, speed loaders, and moonclips, as measured from the inner belt to the grip or near side of the loading device, at the top of the belt, is changed to 3 3/8", or the length of an overlay.  This applies to Open, Limited, and Limited-10 Divisions only.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The funny(annoying) part is the distance was also SUPPOSED to change for the other divisions as well. They were supposed to change to the WIDTH of the overlay which is slightly over 2" to make it easier to measure in the field.

1 minute ago, mstamper said:

HAHAHA, I shoot PCC. Dont have to deal with the holster thing.

My mag pouches are legal already.

I do know of a few OPEN and LMTD shooters who are going to be hating life shortly.

Why would they hate life? This is a good thing! 

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Why would they hate life? This is a good thing! 

because their holsters are outside of that measurement and having to bring that in closer will make them to retrain to draw from closer to the body.

Just now, mstamper said:

because their holsters are outside of that measurement and having to bring that in closer will make them to retrain to draw from closer to the body.

If they are outside of the new measurement they were way past the old measurement 

1 minute ago, mstamper said:

How have they been shooting matches with their holsters that far out of regulation?!?

1 minute ago, Kraj said:

If they are outside of the new measurement they were way past the old measurement 

indeed. This new ruling gives an extra 1 3/8" of distance. I would never go that far but it will be nice to get just a little more breathing room for the rack, rest etc.

As it has been the 2" rule was rarely enforced in the race divisions, now the 3 3/8" rule will NEVER be enforced so if it is never going to be enforced why have it. We should not have rules nobody cares about, and nobody enforces.  Just because it used to be a rule and now its more lax is no reason to have the rule if the intent is that it doesn't matter.

Man, knowing the rules is getting to be about like knowing the law: It's all well and good to read the constitution and the statutes, but until you look at the decisions, you really know nothing.  

FWIW, I think this change is substantively fine.  A lot of gear marketed to the USPSA crowd can easily put people outside the old measurement (especially drop-and-offset holster hangars), and I don't see any material advantage being conferred by liberalizing this rule.  I'm just struck by how inadequate carrying a rulebook now is.

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

As it has been the 2" rule was rarely enforced in the race divisions, now the 3 3/8" rule will NEVER be enforced so if it is never going to be enforced why have it. We should not have rules nobody cares about, and nobody enforces.  Just because it used to be a rule and now its more lax is no reason to have the rule if the intent is that it doesn't matter.

Really? I have caught several shooters outside 2” over the years. I have seen or heard of many more. Sure, my st probably got away with cheating but the rule is not as blatantly ignored as you make it seem

11 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Really? I have caught several shooters outside 2” over the years. I have seen or heard of many more. Sure, my st probably got away with cheating but the rule is not as blatantly ignored as you make it seem

I have caught shooters as well, but by and large it was not well enforced.

Making the new dimension so large says to me that the intent is to make it a non issue, if that is the intent, why have a rule about it?

I’m guessing this was done due to slide rackers being legal in all these divisions and it was considered a safety issue. This way the racker didn’t get caught up in clothing or the belt and cause a loaded firearm to be flying through the air and hitting the ground. Not a bad rule and a super easy way to check. Most club matches that I attend, gear is checked by all ROs and definitely at level two matches.  People will take any perceived advantage possible. That’s why there are rules.