Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety pointers and emergency tips for Practice

Broncman

I did not really know where to post this, but since a lot of us practice alone I wanted to post up some safety thoughts.

We all hope it never happens to us, but what if you get shot during practice wethor you are alone or with a  buddy?

Develop a plan!

Have a good medical kit.

Include blood stopper.

Have good directions to your range.

Have a good address

Make sure any guests have the address

Range bag. 

Identify externally what pocket medical supplies are in.

A red Cross stitched to pocket etc.

This will save valuable time.

Notify all guests where Emergency kit is.

Leave all gates unlocked so emergency personnel can reach you.

Have a card with your info and blood type in your range bag in the medical pocket. Have these in your wallet.

Keep cellphone on your person.

I am sure others can add to this thread.

Please do.

Ideally, there's others within shouting distance. That isn't always going to happen, though.

Try not to shoot yourself.... I believe holstering and drawing are the most risky things - to ourselves - we do. Where's your trigger finger? It doesn't need to be on the trigger while you are pointing anywhere near yourself.

Don't trip over stuff at the range. If there's stuff laying around in the shooting area, it is time for a cleanup.

If your gun doesn't work as expected, stop. Clear the gun, double check, and figure it out before shooting more.

Pay attention. Shooting ranges are safe places. To a great extent, it is because we have a healthy respect of our sports gear.

In my corner of the world, emergency services recommend an app that sends your location automatically, if you use it to make the emergency call. If you have something like that in your area, install it.

Edited by perttime