Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mill x5 for rts2/romeo3 iron sight still functional

Shmella

question for the crowd, Probably in the wrong place to get the best answer but still sig related, If i mill a slide to accept an rts2 or Romeo3 etc then go back to iron sights, there will obviously be some material missing in front of the rear sight plate. Is this gun still production legal with the iron sights on ?

I don’t want the added weight of the plate. Honestly I’m not sure how the rear sight  mounts. Mine didn’t come with one. (Guy I got it from lost it.) I have a dpp and want to go to an rts2 /Romeo 3. The plates plus the dpp is heavy. I’d rather go directly to the slide if possible. 

5 hours ago, Shmella said:

I don’t want the added weight of the plate. Honestly I’m not sure how the rear sight  mounts. Mine didn’t come with one. (Guy I got it from lost it.) I have a dpp and want to go to an rts2 /Romeo 3. The plates plus the dpp is heavy. I’d rather go directly to the slide if possible. 

The rear sight is an integral part of the plate that you don't have. As far as I know there is no stand alone rear sight available. Only that plate/sight combination.

The optic may have a rear sight capability such as what you can get for the Delta Point Pro. I don't know about any others.

Edited by ddc

If the OP doesn't have the rear sight plate at all, I don't see how he will be able to shoot Production.  I don't think there's another way to install a rear sight.

Edited by JAFO

I've heard of people milling (maybe just filing) the front of a DPP to make it fit rather than milling the slide.

So you might get your DPP to fit. I haven't heard of similar work done to R3 or RTS2. Aren't they longer than a DPP?

I would guess that voids the warranty.

Does anyone know how how much material has to be removed from an X5 slide to mount a Romeo 3? I've looked all over and can't figure out what it takes to get a Romeo 3 mounted directly to the slide. 

It would be a lot. Front and back. My Romeo 3 came in and I was looking at what it would take. The rear portion would need to be fully taken down and the front would need to lose almost 1/4”. You could probably still mount the rear sight but it would no longer hook in like it does. Only the two screws would hold it on. Which I don’t think would be a problem. It would just look dumb with a chunk in front of the sight plate missing.