Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Xtreme and Perfecta Brass?

Fantom919

I sort though all of my brass and have been chucking the xtreme and perfecta brass as I recall there being some issue with it. I've been searching the net for the article where people had issues with it but can't seem to find it. 

Anyone have any issues with reloading this brass? I use a dillon 550 right now. 

Thanks for the help!

Perfecta has out-of-center flash holes, but they seem to work OK for me otherwise.  I can't tell any difference while shooting them.  

X-Treme cases seem GTG for me.  The older FM cases were stepped, and I tossed them.  

I load both.  One thing to watch out for with the Xtreme is the reduced internal case capacity; they have an extra thick case web.   I have loaded them with 9.0gr of 3n38 for 9major without issue, but the powder was full to the brim from the reduced internal volume. 

I exclusively reload range picked brass.  After my daughter had a FM stepped case get stuck in in her barrel, I went back to sorting brass by headstamp.  I recently used some extreme to load for practice.  I didn't find any stepped brass in any of the extreme cases I loaded.  I usually don't keep any perfecta cases since most of the ones I find are 380.

I load both 9major and minor loads. I watch carefully for any stepped brass and pull them off the press when I see them while loading major, then I inspect the headstamps in the Hundo and cull out any Perfecta, FM, IMT or any other headstamps that I don’t recognise. I use those rounds for practice and haven’t had any problems in my CK open gun, but had a bunch of case failures in my DVC. When loading minor I just send them with no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been processing some 9mm brass on a Dillon Super 1050.  Anything that binds at the bottom of the stroke gets checked. X-treme brass has an extra thick web and gets separated from the rest. Any stepped brass gets tossed. It is a little time consuming but when I am done with it, it goes through a press like butter. Check out by dealer forum, Bshooters Brass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 11:38 PM, chevrofreak said:

I load both.  One thing to watch out for with the Xtreme is the reduced internal case capacity; they have an extra thick case web.   I have loaded them with 9.0gr of 3n38 for 9major without issue, but the powder was full to the brim from the reduced internal volume. 

I've noticed xtreme cases weigh roughly 5 grains more than most other brands. Is the 'reduced internal capacity/thick case web' where the extra weight is coming from?

Does that mean Xtreme cases will produce higher fps and/or pf than other case brands, when using the same amount of powder?

3 hours ago, BentAero said:

I've noticed xtreme cases weigh roughly 5 grains more than most other brands. Is the 'reduced internal capacity/thick case web' where the extra weight is coming from?

Does that mean Xtreme cases will produce higher fps and/or pf than other case brands, when using the same amount of powder?

I haven't tested that particular aspect, but I imagine that they would generate more pressure and velocity, and that the web would account for the weight. 

Edited by chevrofreak