Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics

Richie

41 minutes ago, Richie said:

How does Carry Optics seem to be doing at most matches for attendance?  Since it appears esp legal mag well etc would make for a very fun class... Anyone trying it much so far?

Thanks!

I am geared up for it, but since I'm shooting CDP at Nationals, I've been concentrating on that.

My CO is in 9mm with an RMR mounted on the slide. We've been averaging three CO folks each match...and we run a club match every other Friday. 

We've had a lot more PCC shooters, since that division has had a more solid description. With CO, a lot of guys I've talked with were waiting for the "provisional" part to be more defined. They didn't want to invest in something that might not be legal. I think HQ has settled on it from what I can tell.

Edited by jdk129
another thought

Brock's Gap, Hoover (Birmingham area) second Saturday.

And that was a relatively slow day, first day of dove season and early season football. 

They often fill up at 80. 

They also do USPSA first Saturday and Steel Challenge third Saturday AND Sunday.  All well attended.

Edited by Jim Watson
Other matches

Brock's Gap, Hoover (Birmingham area) second Saturday.
And that was a relatively slow day, first day of dove season and early season football. 
They often fill up at 80. 

They also do USPSA first Saturday and Steel Challenge third Saturday AND Sunday.  All well attended.

Man that’s a trek!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Florence.  If I want to shoot matches I have to travel.

It is 22 miles to the club range with small outlaw USPSAish and IDPAoid shoots.

It is 88 miles to Ridge Crossing for substantial IDPA.

It is 95 miles to Cavern Cove for large Steel Challenge, they dropped IDPA because carbines were the Next Big Thing. 

It is 117 miles to Manchester for IDPA.  Haven't been since I got into steel, though.

It is 135 miles to Brock's Gap.  Mostly IDPA but BPCR in the past, USPSA and SC available.

I've got the van so I am the designated bus driver if more than two of us go, usually three or four. 

Not counting majors at 150+ miles.  I am resisting invitations to travel seven hours to next Louisiana State. 

• 2 weeks later...

I shot in this class twice with a SIG P320RX, and made several range trips before my first match, only to realize that the Romeo1 red dot is to small for these 59 year old eyes....I was chasing that dot all day....Purchased a Burris FF3 6 MOA and will give it a try again in the near future.....

Right now I have shifted my focus to PCC and with a C-More 8MOA I find that big red dot easily.....But remember - I am old....Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

On 9/29/2018 at 11:12 AM, Sigarmsp226 said:

I shot in this class twice with a SIG P320RX, and made several range trips before my first match, only to realize that the Romeo1 red dot is to small for these 59 year old eyes....I was chasing that dot all day....Purchased a Burris FF3 6 MOA and will give it a try again in the near future.....

Right now I have shifted my focus to PCC and with a C-More 8MOA I find that big red dot easily.....But remember - I am old....Mark

Agree with the Romeo1 being small, I've shooting a P320RX in USPSA and have felt the 3MOA dot has been hard to track in Bright sunlight. I did shoot a 6MOA vortex in three matches this year, and other than the window being smaller I did find it easier to track. Yesterday I was able to look at a DDP 2.5MOA side by side with my Romeo1 and it seem to look twice as big as the 3MOA Romeo1.

Edited by floater

• 4 weeks later...

BillR1:

I was taking a look at the new Romeo1 - Do you have it? Any comparisons to an RMR or DPP? I plan on IDPA/USPSA and some steel. Short distances up to 30 yards.

My vision has started to present some challenges for 15+ yards.

Edited by LowBoost

I have a 6 MOA ROMEO1, and a RMR. I prefer the ROMEO. Bigger window, easier to operate than the RMR Adjustable, easier battery replacement, very bright dot, and adjustable brightness levels easier to use than the RMR..

The scope cover is crap, but that's my only complaint.

On 10/26/2018 at 4:08 PM, LowBoost said:

BillR1:

I was taking a look at the new Romeo1 - Do you have it? Any comparisons to an RMR or DPP? I plan on IDPA/USPSA and some steel. Short distances up to 30 yards.

My vision has started to present some challenges for 15+ yards.

Yes, I have four Romeo1s, including three of the newer 6 MOA dots. I think they're an amazing sight, and much tougher than the exaggerated stories on the interwebs would suggest. I tried an RMR and the window (IMO) was too small. The Romeo1 works well for me for both carry and competition use.

Edited by BillR1

• 4 weeks later...

From IDPA's website, 20NOV:

This week, IDPA will be releasing an updated version of Appendix C for Carry Optics for immediate use by our membership. This new release adopts the classifier brackets found for Enhanced Service Pistol as the brackets for Carry Optics. By finalizing the classifiers for this division, it becomes easier for clubs to recognize this growing division for their matches at every level of our sport. Carry Optics has become a popular division for many of our members and we are responding to this enthusiasm by finalizing the outstanding issues found in the provisional rules. We are also going to recognize Carry Optics at next year’s World Championship match being held again in Talladega the week of October 21st through the 26th. Classifier scores will be accepted into the system. Members are encouraged to contact their Area Coordinator if they have any questions concerning this change. We hope you will enjoy the changes. See you at the range.  

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, BillR1 said:

The new 6 MOA Romeo1 is amazing!

I agree.  Sold my 3 moa because I was loosing it in the bright sun light days.

The 6moa Romeo 1 is like a completely different sight.

Most of the time I'm turning it down.

Haven't run it at the top setting yet.  

C-more, FF, Vortex and 2 DDP one 2.5 and one 7.5 have to be run at full when the sun is out.

FWIW, think its the best sight out there currently for slide mounting