Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX Maintenance Schedule

Hey everyone - after learning some lessons the hard way and talking to some folks who have a lot more time on an MPX than I do, I thought I'd start a maintenance thread.  I'll start by saying I like the MPX a lot and its a great PCC platform.  I will also say that it take a good bit of regular maintenance and part swap outs if you want to run it 100%.  I'm running a Gen 2 MPX with a floating firing pin, OEM gas port.  I like running 147 plated with N320 or Accurate #2.

-Tappet and gas plug cleaning - every 2k rounds

-Tappet and gas plug rings - as needed but no more than 5k (gas plug isn't as important but prob worth doing at the same time)

-Firing Pin Spring 3k 

-Extractor Spring and Insert 3k 

-Firing Pin 5k

-Recoil Springs 10k depending on if you're running OEM or lightening - I like the -13% reduced by ILWT - don't want to go any lighter

-Trigger springs 10k depending on your trigger

This is probably a very very conservative schedule so I'll offer it up to the group for suggestions.

Tom

23 hours ago, Underwood said:

I have close to 7k threw mine. All original springs, but i break it down and clean it after every use, tappet and gas plug included . I run my Blue Bullet hand loads and white box and have never had 1 malfunction  

Do you ever have issues with loosing zero on your optic?

I am new to MPX and recently cleaned tappet & gas plug (after 500 rounds) and zero was fine, but I'm wondering if I need to check zero every single time...?

Thx,

Allen

46 minutes ago, TGibe said:

Do you ever have issues with loosing zero on your optic?

I am new to MPX and recently cleaned tappet & gas plug (after 500 rounds) and zero was fine, but I'm wondering if I need to check zero every single time...?

Thx,

Allen

Holds zero no problem after cleaning 

I try to clean mine after each match. Old habit from open gun days. 

tappet and gas plug goes to ultrasonic cleaner, comes out nice and shiny.

I have Gen 2, approximately 4k -5k rounds. Internals are all originals,  I had 1 jam early on when i just got it, not sure what caused it.

My guess was when i was tweaking my load...Never had one ever since.

Like Phil said, zero holds even when you clean tappet/plug.

44 minutes ago, edwin garcia said:

I try to clean mine after each match. Old habit from open gun days. 

tappet and gas plug goes to ultrasonic cleaner, comes out nice and shiny.

I have Gen 2, approximately 4k -5k rounds. Internals are all originals,  I had 1 jam early on when i just got it, not sure what caused it.

My guess was when i was tweaking my load...Never had one ever since.

Like Phil said, zero holds even when you clean tappet/plug.

I'm gonna try tappet and plug in ultra sonic cleaner.. what cleaner are you using ? 

Get spare parts kit from In Lead We Trust.  I clean my Gen2 MPX before each match, like any other pistol.  Piston and tappet are pulled from parts kit and installed after cleaning (no oil on piston & tappet rings), dirty piston/tappet soak in PB Blaster over night, then go into ultra sonic cleaner with mix of Simple Green.  Clean them up, then put back into the parts kit for next rotation. 

1 hour ago, Underwood said:

Tried it this evening in my hornaday sonic cleaner with simple green.. wow.. should have been doing this from the beginning.

Thanks 

Screenshot_20180914-222453_Gallery.jpg

Looks great! Do most use simple green or something specifically for gun part cleaning like the Lyman stuff?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:45 AM, Underwood said:

Simple green and I had to add some water cause I didnt have enough simple.green to get the bolt carrier submerged all the way.. I'm gonna pick some more up tomorrow.. that was only after 30 mins ..

This is very good info - I've tried a bunch of other solvents and solutions and none have created that kind of breakup after 30m.  I'll try it and advise.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:28 PM, rpm8300 said:

This is very good info - I've tried a bunch of other solvents and solutions and none have created that kind of breakup after 30m.  I'll try it and advise.

forgot to mention mine has the degas and heater function.. Not sure if it makes a diff or not cause i always degas and heat before the components go in.

How do you clean the tappet rings? I tried solvent, soaking and a SS wire brush. I finally pulled my pistol/gasblock apart after about 5k of mostly black Bullets using cfe pistol and I had some build up on those rings but most everything else looked good and I was able to clean up without issue. 

11 minutes ago, Akkid17 said:

How do you clean the tappet rings? I tried solvent, soaking and a SS wire brush. I finally pulled my pistol/gasblock apart after about 5k of mostly black Bullets using cfe pistol and I had some build up on those rings but most everything else looked good and I was able to clean up without issue. 

I haven't removed the factory rings to clean, just the using sonic cleaner .. It still takes some effort to reinstall them  in the gas block and the gun runs perfect so i assume the rings are still good 

• 1 month later...

rpm 8300, could you explain the use of ILWT reduced power recoil springs? What power factor are you using? You also recommend all ILWT replacement springs and parts? My first MPX I just put together has a Trijicon MRO, the new JP modular drop-in trigger, a ILWT 6 in barrel with mid comp pinned and welded with 9 in shroud pinned and welded. It came with the gas port at .0625. ILWT CF handguard with bushing for shroud and ILWT CF stock. It's about 5.5 pounds now. Shot my first Steel Challenge match with this set-up on Sat. A couple 1.7's and a couple 1.8's on Smoke and Hope for a 7.25 time. 84 seconds total for the 8 stages using 115 factory ammo. I haven't developed a reload for it yet. Thanks for the maintenance schedule!

Edited by sguenther