Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
RangerTrace

Strange Mishap on Dillon 650

With all the rain this weekend, I put in a couple of good reloading sessions yesterday and today.  I was on my last couple dozen rounds when my U-die decapping pin pierced through a primer and was pulled out of the collet bushing.  After many thousands of rounds, that was the first time that has ever happened.......weird.

Good pin design at least.  At least you weren't forced to dig through your stash of spare stuff to find a tiny bag of wee pins that snap off.

Hasn't happened to me in a long while either.  Now that I said that....

I have had it pushed up ..hitting a steel case that looked like the nickel I was running..but never pulled out?

It was weird and of course the case couldn't rotate with the pin sticking down, it was a mess for a few minutes.   Nothing like experience to make you a better reloader.  After loading around 3000 rounds this weekend, I caught myself thinking about a bullet feeder.  I'm really not a high volume shooter, but that would make things a lot faster if they don't cause a lot more tinkering.  The RF-100 has been an amazing addition.  i LOVE it.

Get the bullet feeder! I got the KISS (Granddaddy to MBF) in 2007. I saw it at Area 2 and had to have it. 11 years now. Minimal screwing around. When I went on my recent trip to IL/FL I loaded some ammo for my friend on his 650 w/o MBF. Very annoying. With your RF, you should really be cutting back on your reloading time.

Definitely get the bullet feeder.  I was having issues with bullets dropping upside down from the bullet feeder shaking since it was mounted to my case feeder.    I solved that by hanging it from the ceiling.  I havent had a single upside down bullet since I did it!

0909182010-2080x1170.jpg

27 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Definitely get the bullet feeder.  I was having issues with bullets dropping upside down from the bullet feeder shaking since it was mounted to my case feeder.    I solved that by hanging it from the ceiling.  I havent had a single upside down bullet since I did it!

0909182010-2080x1170.jpg

?

Yes, you will have to adjust a tab bit depending on the bullet.  Its pretty simple process and these videos make it pretty clear.  http://www.mrbulletfeeder.com/video-tutorials/   The video on the nose guide is super valuable.   

You do need a stable bench, but this should be true even without the BF.  My bench absolutely does not move or shake.

The MBF definitely works better with certain bullets. I have a heck of a time getting it to drop only one at a time using Xtreme 124 HP’s. If I adjust per the videos it drops no bullets. Just adjusting a fraction of an inch and it drops two. Every other bullet I have tried works flawless

115gr round nose can stick in the tube of the feeder a bit because they get tilted.   The flat nose and JHP bullets stack like lego's, and longer bullets like 147 rn work great.   

I found a good setting for my MBF and I rarely have to tweak anything on it anymore when switching bullets. 

Edited by chevrofreak

Back to the U-die situation.....I was having problems with the pin being gradually pushed up. Spoke with the mfg. and it was suggested to :

A. Put a bevel on the end of the pin to eliminate sucking the primers back up. B: rough up the top of the pin where it’s clamped...course emery cloth.C. Make sure the pin is clamped as tight as possible after cleaning.

A 3 ideas worked for me....just passing this along............