Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RMR JHP'S for open major and backup carry ammo

Bamaboy

What do y'all think of these bullets. In talking with the guys at Rocky mountain you need 1100fps for expansion. My comp likes 124's at 173-180pf.

I'm still using CFE pistol for major loads. 6.8 grns right now on a BBI 125 GRN.

Tite group 3.8 grns for everything else. 

Seen a few say the need to be seated a little deeper. 

Any help would be great. 

I loaded them over 5.9gr of BE-86, but I had to load them crazy short at like 1.065" to get them to chamber in my CZ P09.  I shot them into water and they expanded well.  

My new favorite powder for carry loads is N350.  I load 5.1gr under a 147gr HST.  6.0gr would be a good load for a 124.

This video compares the flash of the 5.9gr BE-86 and RMR 124 JHP load to the 5.1gr N350 and 147 HST.  

Just now, chevrofreak said:

I loaded them over 5.9gr of BE-86, but I had to load them crazy short at like 1.065" to get them to chamber in my CZ P09.  I shot them into water and they expanded well.  

My new favorite powder for carry loads is N350.  I load 5.1gr under a 147gr HST.  6.0gr would be a good load for a 124.

This video compares the flash of the 5.9gr BE-86 and RMR 124 JHP load to the 5.1gr N350 and 147 HST.  

I will probably load with Tite group simply for the fact I have over 10 pounds of it and shoot it all the time

Just now, Bamaboy said:

I will probably load with Tite group simply for the fact I have over 10 pounds of it and shoot it all the time

Titegroup is also very low flash, so it is a good choice.  For a defensive load 3.8gr to 4.0gr would be ideal. 

15 minutes ago, Bamaboy said:

Just be aware that you’ll be running really high pressures to hit defensive velocities with titegroup; think +P or +P+

A pound of green dot is cheap, easy to find, and anything in that slower region of the burn rate chart (power pistol also comes to mind) is going to hit velocities approaching 1,200 fps and higher without going past 33,000 psi or so.

If low flash is important, do some research into which ones are suitable with that regard too.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Just be aware that you’ll be running really high pressures to hit defensive velocities with titegroup; think +P or +P+

A pound of green dot is cheap, easy to find, and anything in that slower region of the burn rate chart (power pistol also comes to mind) is going to hit velocities approaching 1,200 fps and higher without going past 33,000 psi or so.

If low flash is important, do some research into which ones are suitable with that regard too.

I have CFE pistol, HS6, and some 3n38. 

You could find a spent case that fits into your chamber, but will still hold a bullet fairly tightly and push it into your barrel until the case is fully seated and then measure that OAL as your absolute max and subtract .020" for a starting point.   A sized case cut down one side will also work. 

9 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

You could find a spent case that fits into your chamber, but will still hold a bullet fairly tightly and push it into your barrel until the case is fully seated and then measure that OAL as your absolute max and subtract .020" for a starting point.   A sized case cut down one side will also work. 

Damn that is a good idea. Will be trying that as soon as my goodies from RMR get here

I haven't shot any of the RMR jhp's, but I keep many thousands of their 124 MW and PD 124 grain JHP on hand. My go to load is 4.0 TG for the 2011's and I'll up that a couple tenths for G19's. Either bullet shoots great with that load. I haven't chrono'd it and as good as it shoots, I don't really care (I'm not looking for a PF anyway).

I suspect the RMR would respond just as well to 4.0 +/- of TG as far as accuracy is concerned but I don't know about expansion.

Hi:

As a non-practicing lawyer I suggest you carry whatever your local police department uses.

Do not carry home made ammo for liability reasons - Grand Jury's will not be impressed with your loading skills but will be presented with the idea that you made "killer tank busting" ammo and are evidently a bad dude.

Good luck,

Grandpoobah

Massad Ayoob has advocated using factory ammo for decades - same logic.

Based on a LOT of discussion here at BE's about this, it appears that might

have something to do with which state you live in - some states are anal

about civil suits - some are not.   

Certainly no harm in using factory ammo.

BTW, my son-in-law is a LEO and his dep't has switched back and forth

from 9mm to .45 to .40 and back to 9mm.   So, good advice to carry the

same ammo as your local LEO, but you have to stay current with that    :)