Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-Holstering during a Stage.

nagantino

Course designers may not design a course of fire that requires the competitor to re-holster, however a competitor may choose to re-holster during a course of fire as long as it is done safely.  Rule 8.2.5

I have never seen anyone reholster during a Stage or Course of Fire, then continue shooting, but I think this is permissible. I ask because the Cooper Tunnel always gives me a problem especially if I have to back out of it to contiue shooting. So........must inform the RO of my intentions to do so and what procedure clears the gun to his satisfaction?

You don’t have to tell the RO, and don’t have to clear the gun at all. It does, however, need to be in a legal configuration, so:

-if you’re shooting a DA/SA with a safety, you need the safety on

-If you’re shooting single action only (like a 1911/2011), you need the safety on

-If you’re shooting a DA/SA with a decocker, you need to decock 

See rule 10.5.11

Also keep in mind that holstering/drawing inside the tunnel is a DQ for unsafe gun handling under 10.5.4

You need to put the gun back in a ready condition. 

8.1.2.1 “Single action” – chamber loaded, hammer cocked, and the safety engaged. 
8.1.2.2 “Double action” – chamber loaded, hammer fully down or de-cocked.
8.1.2.3 “Selective action” – chamber loaded with hammer fully down, or chamber loaded and hammer cocked with external safety engaged (see Divisions in Appendix D).

Edited by Kraj

36 minutes ago, Kraj said:

You need to put the gun back in a ready condition. 

8.1.2.1 “Single action” – chamber loaded, hammer cocked, and the safety engaged. 
8.1.2.2 “Double action” – chamber loaded, hammer fully down or de-cocked.
8.1.2.3 “Selective action” – chamber loaded with hammer fully down, or chamber loaded and hammer cocked with external safety engaged (see Divisions in Appendix D).

Technically the conditions for safe reholstering are slightly less restrictive than this- see 10.5.11

2 hours ago, DKorn said:

Technically the conditions for safe reholstering are slightly less restrictive than this- see 10.5.11

Technically 8.2.5 says must be empty or in a ready condition. Nothing about 10.5

56 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Technically 8.2.5 says must be empty or in a ready condition. Nothing about 10.5

I must’ve missed that one! Good call, this is why I love the rules discussions. 

So so based on your reading of 8.2.5, someone shooting a DA/SA Production gun should decock prior to reholstering? What is the penalty if they do not? It can’t be a DQ since 10.5.11 isn’t violated... can it?

Edit: Rereading it, hammer back safety on is a legal ready condition for a Da/SA gun, just not one you can start in for Production. Does this mean you can reholster with the hammer back in production as long as you put the safety on, or not?

Edited by DKorn

39 minutes ago, George Jones said:

If it has a hammer and it is cocked, you MUST have the safety ON, otherwise: DQ!

If it's hammer down, no safety is required.  Decocking is certainly acceptable if the gun is capable.

This^^^^^

50 minutes ago, DKorn said:

I must’ve missed that one! Good call, this is why I love the rules discussions. 

So so based on your reading of 8.2.5, someone shooting a DA/SA Production gun should decock prior to reholstering? What is the penalty if they do not? It can’t be a DQ since 10.5.11 isn’t violated... can it?

Edit: Rereading it, hammer back safety on is a legal ready condition for a Da/SA gun, just not one you can start in for Production. Does this mean you can reholster with the hammer back in production as long as you put the safety on, or not?

Correct

8 hours ago, nagantino said:

Course designers may not design a course of fire that requires the competitor to re-holster, however a competitor may choose to re-holster during a course of fire as long as it is done safely.  Rule 8.2.5

I have never seen anyone reholster during a Stage or Course of Fire, then continue shooting, but I think this is permissible. I ask because the Cooper Tunnel always gives me a problem especially if I have to back out of it to contiue shooting. So........must inform the RO of my intentions to do so and what procedure clears the gun to his satisfaction?

Yes I did.  Had to pull a rope that released a swinger, leave the box, draw and engage targets.  Well short stroked the pull, left the box and had already drawn the gun.  Since I had to pull the rope with strong hand it was better to re-holster, turn run back to box and repeat.  Probably could have just taken the procedural, but in the heat of the moment just didn't.  Buuut the RO, experienced, told me he should have DQ'd me but wasn't sure.  I knew he shouldn't have, and didn't, but we discussed it for a little bit anyway!!!  I was very much aware to apply the thumb safety BEFORE re-holstering though.

Edited by pskys2

Cooper tunnels were mentioned...

10.5 Match Disqualification –  Unsafe Gun Handling

10.5.4 Drawing or holstering a handgun within the confines of a tunnel

Reholstering on the clock just has too many things to go wrong. There have been times when I have considered placing the gun on the ground or prop to get out of a position.

31 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Go easy on Jack. He's got short term memory loss and 30 years is as far back as he can remember.

Wasn't dissing him, more like commiserating, I started in 1978 and still at it, thankfully.

My original USPSA # A-135.

Edited by pskys2

I’ve reholstered a few times during 3gun matches that allow it, but never in a USPSA match. 

Just make sure your handgun is in the same condition as a loaded start, and there shouldn’t be any problems. 

I have seen it done.  It is also a trick to a reshoot.... reholster and run toward your shooting bag away from the COF. As soon as you are stopped by the RO who is very confused ask for your reshoot. LOL

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I still wouldn't have holstered.   I'd have kept the muzzle pointed down range, and walked back.  Just me, I guess.     ?

Pretty much everyone else did that. It was easier for me to just holster it and turn and walk to where I was going than to walk backwards through the entire stage again.

Only time I've seen it done is by people who are uncomfortable moving with a gun in their hand. Usually for a long uprange run where they won't be shooting or moving a distance to their weak side. As an observer it is often just as frightening to watch them try and reholster as it would be seeing them move with the gun in their hand.