Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How heavy, is too heavy?

How much does your gun weigh?

I feel like my two guns are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

My s&w 15-22 always feels too light at 5.19 lbs.

My new Kronos seems a little heavy at 7.55 lbs.

(its probably not as bad as I think)

What's too heavy for a race gun?

What does yours weigh?

Edited by Startingover
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think there's an answer that is right here. I will say that I don't see any top PCC shooters. (max, froelich) shooting ultra light weight guns, and that gun weight is over thought.

I feel you should be able to one hand the gun when running if need be. What that looks like for anyone is dependent on their personal physics.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, longbeard said:

I dont think there's an answer that is right here. I will say that I don't see any top PCC shooters. (max, froelich) shooting ultra light weight guns, and that gun weight is over thought.

I feel you should be able to one hand the gun when running if need be. What that looks like for anyone is dependent on their personal physics.

No need to bring physics into this unless you are talking about gravitational mass of the shooter.  Physique might come into play though.

Probably rare to NEED to run one handed except maybe to open doors or activate things. 
And backing up. Particularly with your weak side leading up range. Just had a stage like this. Had to treat it like a pistol and keep it down range while I ran up.

Other than that YMMV for sure.

1 hour ago, longbeard said:

And backing up. Particularly with your weak side leading up range. Just had a stage like this. Had to treat it like a pistol and keep it down range while I ran up.

Other than that YMMV for sure.

Yeah, that’s true...still probably doesn’t come up that often though.

Hello: I don't think the weight is as much a factor as where the weight is. Front heavy will hurt transitions a little but may keep the muzzle down. Butt end will just add weight and will not effect transitions at all. I like my PCC's to be a little front heavy but not heavy overall in the 6-7LB range is fine. Balance at the magwell with no magazine installed. Thanks, Eric

42 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

My PPCs all weigh in about 5.9 lbs.  I usually use a shorter barrel with an extension, a light stock, a small RDS and a light handguard.  I think it is relative how heavy a gun is to a person's build.

Ya.  Dat is da truth.

image.png.5ed7cc249079b97b60f97b028fbf610c.png

I’d guess that 7 and some change is going to be your average.  IMHO balance is more important than overall weight.  

Just like in 3 gun where some folks shoot in areas where its mostly bays and 200 or less yards vs the 3 gunner a couple of states over where its a bunch of 400 yard shots, those two guys will have completely different setups.  

If I’m shooting clubs thats are all super tight bays with windows and lots of one shot steel, I’m going as short and light as possible.  On the other hand, a club that has a ton of double taps on cardboard and open bays with 25+ yard shots, a heavier gun could have its advantages.  

Mine is on the low side of 7 pounds and balanced on the trigger, though I’m going to experiment with a lighter stock that will drop the overall weight to right about 7 and move the balance point forward a smidge.  

Edited by jkrispies
49 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Mine is on the low side of 7 pounds and balanced on the trigger, though I’m going to experiment with a lighter stock that will drop the overall weight to right about 7 and movemthe balance poing forward a smidge.

If you are presently on the low side of 7 pounds I'd assume that means less than 7lbs,  so going to a lighter stock will drop the weight to 7lbs ???

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

If you are presently on the low side of 7 pounds I'd assume that means less than 7lbs,  so going to a lighter stock will drop the weight to 7lbs ???

Maybe I should have said, "On the low side of 7.5 pounds."  I meant that I'm at something like 7 pounds 3 ounces... ish.  I think that once I have the new stock on, it will be somewhere around 7 pounds 0 ounces since the change of stock will be the greatest modification I'm in the process of making; however, I'm also instituting a few other tweaks (adding a short stroke system to the buffer and changing the front iron sight to a slightly lighter model) so I'm not entirely sure where it will end up till it is built.  Having said all of that, I don't think the change in weight is going to be tremendous, but I do expect the balance point to move forward slightly which may have an effect on its swing.

I think the weight of the pcc really depends on how someone’s built, I’m 6’2, 240ish and my 6.5lbs pcc feels perfect to me, but someone else might think it’s to heavy or to light. As long as the rifle is balanced to what the shooter likes than it will perform the way they want. For me I can’t use an ultra light weight barrel such as the taccom, it swings weird for me and I feel like I can’t get it on target as quick as I can a barrel that’s 16 inch’s long. 

33 minutes ago, stick said:

My USPSA PCC is 8lbs, but I'm 6'5" 220 lbs.  I think the recoil impulse is less with a heavier gun, but I'm going to lighten it up a little with the Taccom Tension barrel and carbon fiber handguard.

I just got the tension barrel and now I am looking for a lighter handguard (shorter) to hold with it.

I don't like the looks of the smooth/round taccom handguard, so I am looking at some others.

Anyone have any experience with This Odin works?

I have found it on sale for pretty cheap.

I just got the tension barrel and now I am looking for a lighter handguard (shorter) to hold with it.
I don't like the looks of the smooth/round taccom handguard, so I am looking at some others.

No experience with that one. Curious about it as well.

I think the coda evolution ones are pretty cool and are 8oz. Planning on a new build using one this winter.

https://codaevolution.com/collections/handguards

59 minutes ago, Startingover said:

I love my Midwest Industries 12” Lightweight. If I got that barrel, it’s exactly what I’d use.  

58 minutes ago, Startingover said:

I just got that barrel today.  I just mocked it up in an Odin lite handguard I think it's 12.5"   The barrel nut is kind of an odd system. The handguard is pretty light weight.  That is the right size for that barrel though.  

FB_IMG_1536466646828.jpg

27 minutes ago, Timido said:

I just got that barrel today.  I just mocked it up in an Odin lite handguard I think it's 12.5"   The barrel nut is kind of an odd system. The handguard is pretty light weight.  That is the right size for that barrel though.  

FB_IMG_1536466646828.jpg

Good looking combo there!

8 hours ago, Startingover said:

I’ve been satisfied with mine.  Odin makes quality stuff.

xpW343K.jpg

8 hours ago, longbeard said:

No experience with that one. Curious about it as well.

I think the coda evolution ones are pretty cool and are 8oz. Planning on a new build using one this winter.

https://codaevolution.com/collections/handguards

I have been looking at and dreaming about one of those for a while.

The length of them doesn't work out for the new tension barrel, it needs to be no longer than 12.5" to clear the port on the comp.

So I would have to go down to the 9" and that's a hair shorter than I would be comfortable with.

Sweet stuff though