Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Dasniper

Production grip stippling

Recommended Posts

USPSA.  From what I’ve read in the rule book. For production there are no restrictions for stippling. Rule looks like it changed in May 18.  It used to have a picture with a specific area on the grip you could have stippled now there are no restrictions.  Am I reading the rules right. 

Edited by Dasniper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are reading the rules correctly. 

 

Appendix D4 21.4 used to read:

 

• For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip
sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.
• Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they
do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.
• Revolver grips may be replaced with OFM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.
Special Notes/Clarifications:
• See 22.2, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips.

 

 

After the changes it now reads:

 

• Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make- shift magwell.
• Revolver grips may be replaced with OFM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.
Special Notes/Clarifications: See 22.2, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a lot of grip mods done with epoxy and silicon carbide. 

 

Legal for production due to the "such as, but not limited to" verbiage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, ddc said:

I see a lot of grip mods done with epoxy and silicon carbide. 

 

Legal for production due to the "such as, but not limited to" verbiage?

 

As long as it doesn't add anything that could be construed as a magwell or thumbrest, it's fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2018 at 6:09 AM, DKorn said:

You are reading the rules correctly. 

 

Appendix D4 21.4 used to read:

 

• For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip
sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.
• Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they
do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.
• Revolver grips may be replaced with OFM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.
Special Notes/Clarifications:
• See 22.2, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips.

 

 

After the changes it now reads:

 

• Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make- shift magwell.
• Revolver grips may be replaced with OFM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.
Special Notes/Clarifications: See 22.2, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips.

Good info, Thank you!!! I had the same question as the OP...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2018 at 11:48 AM, JAFO said:

 

As long as it doesn't add anything that could be construed as a magwell or thumbrest, it's fine.

 

On 10/1/2018 at 11:48 AM, JAFO said:

 

As long as it doesn't add anything that could be construed as a magwell or thumbrest, it's fine.

Good to know, Tnx!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tagging onto this thread... Now that we have more options for stippling/grip tape, is it legal to stipple or grip tape the Frame in front of the trigger guard, where your thumb rests? I'm not talking about adding a rest just some traction.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thelaserman said:

Tagging onto this thread... Now that we have more options for stippling/grip tape, is it legal to stipple or grip tape the Frame in front of the trigger guard, where your thumb rests? I'm not talking about adding a rest just some traction.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
 

 

Yep.  They removed the reference to Appendix E4 with the February update of App D4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2018 at 5:57 PM, JAFO said:

Yep.  They removed the reference to Appendix E4 with the February update of App D4

 

I thought i saw another discussion on the topic of having grip tape on frame for support hand thumb position , but cant seem to find it... 

 

I am still a little unclear where this leaves Production shooters - can we or can we not have the tape in that location?  So wanted to clarify this with your help, gents.  

 

Here is where i am a little hazy:

 

Old verbiage taken from https://uspsa.org/viewer/Feb_2014_Handgun_Rules.pdf:

 

Quote

 

21.2a Slide – refinishing Per existing NROI ruling, cosmetically enhancing the finish of a slide is already ALLOWED in Production Division, provided that the finish provides no competitive advantage. This clause is NOW interpreted to specifically ALLOW refinishing the frame, as well as the slide, subject to the existing constraints on refinishing (cosmetic only, no competitive advantage). Special Notes/Clarifications: Any finish which provides a non-cosmetic function will be deemed PROHIBITED. For example, a gun finish which provides a roughened texture in an area where grip tape is not allowed (Appendix E4) is a PROHIBITED modification.

 

 

Updated verbiage taken from https://uspsa.org/viewer/Appendix_D4.pdf:

 

Quote

 

21.2a Slide and Frame Refinishing Cosmetically enhancing the finish of a slide and/or frame is ALLOWED in Production Division, provided that the finish provides no competitive advantage, and subject to the existing constraints on refinishing (cosmetic only, no competitive advantage.)

 

 

While it removed the reference to Appendix D4, it does leave the competitive advantage clause... I could potentially see a case where one would argue that the grip tape in that area allows for a better purchase on the gun with your support hand, therefore provides a competitive advantage...  also, taking into consideration this:

 

Quote

 

Please note that the absence of an item in the list of  prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation which specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division

 

 

Where does it leave us? Is it still a gray area or similar to the barber pole in the magwell - as per DNROI email JAFO mentioned in this thread -  technically not legal but also not enforced?  If an RO questions the grip tape in that location, what would be the correct reply? 

Edited by nasty618

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nasty618 said:

 

I thought i saw another discussion on the topic of having grip tape on frame for support hand thumb position , but cant seem to find it... 

 

I am still a little unclear where this leaves Production shooters - can we or can we not have the tape in that location?  So wanted to clarify this with your help, gents.  

 

Here is where i am a little hazy:

 

Old verbiage taken from https://uspsa.org/viewer/Feb_2014_Handgun_Rules.pdf:

 

 

Updated verbiage taken from https://uspsa.org/viewer/Appendix_D4.pdf:

 

 

While it removed the reference to Appendix D4, it does leave the competitive advantage clause... I could potentially see a case where one would argue that the grip tape in that area allows for a better purchase on the gun with your support hand, therefore provides a competitive advantage...  also, taking into consideration this:

 

 

Where does it leave us? Is it still a gray area or similar to the barber pole in the magwell - as per DNROI email JAFO mentioned in this thread -  technically not legal but also not enforced?  If an RO questions the grip tape in that location, what would be the correct reply? 

 

Even though the section is titled "Grips", this is the part of D4 (Feb, 2017 release) that applies here...

21.4

Grips

Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed. Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

 

The previous version (from the 2014 rulebook) referenced App E4 to show the extent to which texturing could be applied.  Since that reference is removed, there is no longer a restriction on placement of stippling, grip tape, or checkering.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!! So am i understanding correctly that section 21.4  Grips is the one that must be applied here, not 21.2a Slide and Frame Refinishing?  If that's the case then it all makes sense...

 

I guess what kept me questioning this is the "competitive advantage" clause - I feel that the piece of grip tape is definitely helpful in establishing a better support hand grip and controlling the recoil.  And the "absence of an item in the list of  prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to mean a modification is allowed" was only adding to my doubts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...