Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Dane460

Volquartsen Scorpion

Does anyone have a scorpion that they shoot a lot? Looking to buy one soon just can’t fevide which model I want yet

I have a  ruger 22/45 life that has all volquartsen parts that I absolutely love. I can only imagine how much better a scorpion would be...

48 minutes ago, Nalle2491 said:

I have a  ruger 22/45 life that has all volquartsen parts that I absolutely love. I can only imagine how much better a scorpion would be...

That’s why I’m debating, my 22/45 is all tricked out and I’m oretty fast with it, tryin to decide if it’s worth the 1200$ for a scorpion. Plus I’m in CT and can’t get one that’s threaded which means no comp 

I'm in CT also.  I know of at least 3 people with Scorpion's with the threaded comp.  You just need to have the FFL /  gunsmith pin the comp before you take possession.  Greyson can do it in Orange CT.    The Scorpion is one of the best .22 competition pistols.  Many in steel challenge use them.   Get the 1911 frame style. 

Strickland makes a nice thumb rest that doesn't require frame drilling.    Best of luck.  Look me up in CT.  

I was gonna do the same exact thing. When I priced all the stuff out it it was a few hundred dollars from a complete Volquartsen. So I just ordered the Volquartsen and don't regret it one bit. In the picture is his and hers. Hers is a TacSol with complete Volquartsen trigger.  The Volquartsen is much smoother than her TacSol.  

20180220_185219-1612x1209.jpg

Having owned one for quite a while, I can confidently say it is not worth the money.  You are certainly not going to gain much over your tricked out 22/45.  IMO, a 6" Scorpion swings like a log.  A friend has a stock 22/45 Lite that he dropped a Volquartsen trigger kit in.  It shoots 1/2" groups at 15 yards in rapid fire.  Transitions are quick, because it weighs so little.  Plus the comp I gave him for it makes it shoot almost dead flat.

If you don't have a Lite, you could effectively create one by using a Tacsol barrel.  I used one on my custom Buckmark Steel gun and it was terrific.

If you just have to have a Scorpion, consider that a 6" barrel will do nicely for Bullseye shooting.  Get the 4.5" if you want faster transitions.  Also, since you cannot use a comp, the 4.5" barks louder and that's better for the timer.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:48 PM, jrdoran said:

I'm in CT also.  I know of at least 3 people with Scorpion's with the threaded comp.  You just need to have the FFL /  gunsmith pin the comp before you take possession.  Greyson can do it in Orange CT.    The Scorpion is one of the best .22 competition pistols.  Many in steel challenge use them.   Get the 1911 frame style

Strickland makes a nice thumb rest that doesn't require frame drilling.    Best of luck.  Look me up in CT.  

Ya I had already talked to JOJOs and they said they would do it. Just tryin to decide if it’s worth the 1200$ when my mk3 is already all aftermarket and I do pretty well with it at the few 22 matches I do 

Worth it is always a subjective decision ? 

What type of events do you plan to shoot ?   What is your current classification ?     How often will you shoot events ?   

What aftermarket is already in your 22/45 ?    

14 hours ago, jrdoran said:

Worth it is always a subjective decision ? 

What type of events do you plan to shoot ?   What is your current classification ?     How often will you shoot events ?   

What aftermarket is already in your 22/45 ?    

I just shoot local 22 matches. Been tryin to get into steel challenge more but nowhere around here really does it. Try to do a couple a month. And my 22/45 has a Volquartsen bolt, their v-comp, tk trigger, the lci filler piece, the bushing to get rid of the magazine disconnect, polished up everything. Triggers just over 2lbs now. 

Take that $1200 and buy 4 cases of mini mags and practice till you can shoot accelerator with your eyes closed :)

The VQ does look awesome though!

I bought my wife a 4.5" Scorpion for Steel Challenge a couple of years ago, zero malfunctions with CCI SV or CCI Mini-Mags to date. Is it worth the extra cost over, a home brewed 22/45? I think so. The Scorpion has a better trigger and is significantly more accurate than my home brewed 22/45 with all the bells and whistles (VQ trigger and all). 

On 9/7/2018 at 9:48 PM, jrdoran said:

I'm in CT also.  I know of at least 3 people with Scorpion's with the threaded comp.  You just need to have the FFL /  gunsmith pin the comp before you take possession.  Greyson can do it in Orange CT.    The Scorpion is one of the best .22 competition pistols.  Many in steel challenge use them.   Get the 1911 frame style. 

What thumb rest is this, I cannot find any from Strickland, I found the Striplin one for a mark4 22/45.  Will that fit the mark3 frame 22/45?

The Mark IV rest will not fit the Mark III.  Bill Striplin either has the Mark III model or can get you one.  Give him a call.

I have both. The 6” scorpion for rfpi and a Ruger 22/45 lite with vq internals. I’m reliably faster on most stages with the 6. Will make the Ruger my dot gun. On the scorpion get the single port comp. IMO it works better and is much easier to clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 8/23/2019 at 4:01 PM, KelsonAK said:

I have both. The 6” scorpion for rfpi and a Ruger 22/45 lite with vq internals. I’m reliably faster on most stages with the 6. Will make the Ruger my dot gun. On the scorpion get the single port comp. IMO it works better and is much easier to clean.

Do you think you are faster with the 6 inch in RFPI due to the increased sight radius?  Have you tried it with a dot?

Yes - the sight radius helps. I haven’t put a dot on it but may do so next spring. Working on GM in irons first :)