Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC STEEL

Eliboudreaux

With as many guys as I know that have cracked  DVC slides or comps on their Open Major guns,  I'd be very leery of running major through a "minor only" DVC than for no other reason than I wouldnt want to give STI an out on warranty work...

I wouldn't want to shoot major through that gun.

3 minutes ago, EEH said:

Why won’t it handle major loads .. several makers have shorty guns shooting major. I think akai makes one. 

The Akai guns also have 6-8 Popple holes where as this DVC Minor does not. Like Tha1000 said above, I have seen too many cracked STI slides and comps from their 9major guns, so I would advise looking somewhere else.

I tried major through mine for grins and kicks. Changed out the recoil and main springs and tried it. Pretty harsh. No where near my regular major gun. Not something I would enjoy shooting all the time. 

i have the predecessor, steel master, and i asked sti and they said it would work fine with 9 major if i changed out the recoil spring.  i never did it, but that's what they said.  since this model is a little different, i'd probably ask sti if it can handle 9 major and what they recommend re a recoil spring or other parts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I sent in my MatchMaster for a cracked slide, only 3000 rounds down the pipe, it was a new old stock gun.  That little bugger was a great blaster.  Tracked great and handled quickly.  

8 weeks later STI called me and said they could not fix it because it was so far out of production that they could not make a slide for it. (damn)

The good news it was they were going to send me a "new" STI DVC Steel.  They took off all my go fast parts and installed them on my new blaster, then sighted it in. (we will see about that real soon).  The new to me DVC Steel was a "Demo Gun" as stated on their paper work.  Not a problem at all.  I had a little panic attack and told them I need to shoot Open Major, would the DVC Steel handle it?  STI shop said "just change the recoil spring" and shoot major loads.  We will see how it handles.  Going to give the little comp a workout.  

Edited by corny

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, Eliboudreaux said:

Need input about this gun,they say its only for minor steel match gun, will it handle openn major loads? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6661319fdf2025df26384f1ebcecfeed.jpg

Good Morning Eliboudreaux ,

The DVC Steel is designed to run as a Minor power factor pistol. Lighter and shorter slide as well as a smaller comp. You can run Major power factor through it but I would advise putting in a heavier recoil spring to lessen the chance of damaging the pistol. My best advice would be to get a DVC Open which is designed for Major power factor if that is what you plan to shoot the most. Let me know if you would like to look at purchasing one and I can help you out on pricing.

On 11/26/2018 at 7:49 PM, corny said:

I sent in my MatchMaster for a cracked slide, only 3000 rounds down the pipe, it was a new old stock gun.  That little bugger was a great blaster.  Tracked great and handled quickly.  

8 weeks later STI called me and said they could not fix it because it was so far out of production that they could not make a slide for it. (damn)

The good news it was they were going to send me a "new" STI DVC Steel.  They took off all my go fast parts and installed them on my new blaster, then sighted it in. (we will see about that real soon).  The new to me DVC Steel was a "Demo Gun" as stated on their paper work.  Not a problem at all.  I had a little panic attack and told them I need to shoot Open Major, would the DVC Steel handle it?  STI shop said "just change the recoil spring" and shoot major loads.  We will see how it handles.  Going to give the little comp a workout.  

You got lucky.  I cracked the slide on a Match Master after 10-12K rounds.  Over half were 125-150 PF loads.  STI didn't have any Match Master slides, so they're putting a Steel Master slide on it with the same barrel/comp it originally had.  It broke in August.  I was supposed to have it back in October.  Now it this week, maybe.

Moral of the story, I'd be wary of STI slides in general right now.  Once mine broke, I found out of about multiple people in the SE who have had similar occurrences.  Some were factory guns, but most were custom guns built by some of the pistol smiths spoke of highly on this forum (they didn't break due to a bad fit).

Shot the DVC Steel in two matches this week (I shoot about 4 matches a week).  172 PF and this little baby is a nice blaster.  124 RN FMJ Everglades with 7.4 WAC.  

We will see if it holds up.